Genset feed question

plongson
plongson Solar Expert Posts: 115 ✭✭
I was wondering...Would the power coming from a genset go first to the inverter or to a standard breaker/distribution panel then to the inverter? Or does it matter?

P.
3500w solar, 800AH with Rolls Surrette, Magnum inverter, Midnite charge controller, Kubota 21kW diesel genset...private well...and just recently connected to city power for additional options...nice to have options 

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Genset feed question
    plongson wrote: »
    I was wondering...Would the power coming from a genset go first to the inverter or to a standard breaker/distribution panel then to the inverter? Or does it matter?

P.

Are you referring to an inverter/charger combination unit that will charge your batteries when your genset is running? If so, you would need a breaker between the genset and inverter/charger, and the inverter/charger would them power the breaker/distribution panel.
  • plongson
    plongson Solar Expert Posts: 115 ✭✭

Ya, that was exactly what I was thinking.. so, genset to breaker, breaker to controller/charger/inverter then CCi to house distribution panel. Correct? Just trying to get an idea on the layout.
    3500w solar, 800AH with Rolls Surrette, Magnum inverter, Midnite charge controller, Kubota 21kW diesel genset...private well...and just recently connected to city power for additional options...nice to have options 
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Look at the generator first. Most of them have circuit protection on the gen so no additional fuse/breaker is needed before the inverter/charger.