DC Timer needed to control direct solar irrigation system

System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
I'm irrigating a 4ac vineyard in VA with a direct solar powered pump and am trying to set the system to a timer. I can't seem to find a suitable DC battery powered timer that will throw the relay open to disallow power to the pump when water is not desired.

The irrigation system is really only an insurance policy in case of a dry season. I plan to activate the timer at the beginning of a particularly dry week and let it send power to the 4 individually solinoid timer controlled acres for 4ish hours of each day. Downstream each acre will dedicated full day of irrigation. This is more than ample to keep grapes happy and makes deconflicting days easy. This way the system always has a quadrant open to protect from overpressure. (I've installed a overpressure protect valve - but only as a backup)

I'm considering the running a 12V relay with a FlexCharge Digital timer powered by a 12V battery but that seems less than elegant. Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

Grundfos 16-SQFlex-10

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: DC Timer needed to control direct solar irrigation system

did you look at our host's store for one?

http://www.solar-electric.com/fldctico.html
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

If you can, I'd recommend looking up Jim Sneeringer in Alexandria. He has some DC irrigation equipment left over from his wife's emu farm, and might have what you need.
  • System2

I got a 12vdc programmable timer from ebay that I like a lot.
    Search ebay for:

DC 12V Power Programmable Timer Time Relay

It came from China but delivery was pretty quick and it works a charm.
  • raydias
    raydias Solar Expert Posts: 68 ✭✭✭✭

can you elaborate on your setup of the timer, possible with a diagram and pictures.

thanks
  • System2

I am not connected directly to the PV, but it should be fine if you go through a charge controller.

The timer can then be programmed (17 different times) to start at any time and run till any time.

For instance I have mine programmed to turn the pump on every 3 hours from 7:00 am till 7:00 pm and run for 10 minutes every day of the week.

timer.jpg

The current price of this unit is $16.00 including shipping. At that price you could get four of them and set the timing up independently for each of the 4 zones.

The timer has the ability to time not only based on time but also different variations of the days of the week...everyday...every weekday... two different every other day... only week end or individual day.
  • rgs03833
    rgs03833 Registered Users Posts: 16
    mackeyrj wrote: »
    I got a 12vdc programmable timer from ebay that I like a lot.
    Search ebay for:

DC 12V Power Programmable Timer Time Relay

It came from China but delivery was pretty quick and it works a charm.

Hi, thank you !!! just what I needed! yes, I got it from China too, it got here in 1 week. Very useful :)