Samlex Inverter OK for backup?

andyrud
andyrud Solar Expert Posts: 70 ✭✭
My 2800watt Inverter has to be shipped to the manufacturer for repairs. Urggg! That leaves me with no pure sine wave. I have to buy a temporary psw and was thinking about buying a Samlex 1500. After I get my main inverter back the temporary one will be my back up. Are these ok or should I buy another unit? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Samlex Inverter OK for backup?

Much depends on what you run with it. The Samlex inverters essentially have no surge capacity whatsoever, so AC induction motors or anything that need start-up power above the inverter rating won't work (specs on the 1500 Watt model say 3000 Watt surge for less than one second).

Otherwise, could you manage with an Exeltech 1100 instead? About the same money.
  • andyrud
    andyrud Solar Expert Posts: 70 ✭✭
    Much depends on what you run with it. The Samlex inverters essentially have no surge capacity whatsoever, so AC induction motors or anything that need start-up power above the inverter rating won't work (specs on the 1500 Watt model say 3000 Watt surge for less than one second).

Otherwise, could you manage with an Exeltech 1100 instead? About the same money.

I sure could. I have a small Refrigerator so I do need something with some surge capacity.

Thanks Cariboocoot for the help.

Andy

You know learning from experience can be expensive. Having one big inverter might not be the best way to go. Maybe numerous smaller ones with more circuits is better as you would never be totally out of power if one goes out. Sure glad I found this forum. You guys are GREAT!
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    andyrud wrote: »
    Having one big inverter might not be the best way to go. Maybe numerous smaller ones with more circuits is better as you would never be totally out of power if one goes out.

Agree! That's why I have two "small" SureSine-300 units, one always on for lights etc (low standby consumption) the other is automatically switched by dedicated loads, so is only on when needed, the 1800 watt ps stays in search mode, ready to go when needed. For backup, a 1500 msw that will run the pump and a few selected items if needed.
    Couldn't see running the big inverter 24/7 for little loads that require full time power, or depending totally on that one inverter. And no, I didn't buy them all at once! :p
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

FWIW, I have a 1500W Samlex and it starts my standard full-size fridge just fine. My measurements showed it draws about 10A at startup, or 1200W, so within the inverter's normal rating - provided it isn't also running a bunch of other items at the time. I used mine as my primary inverter for a while when I was running a 12V system and had no problems, it ran everything (what little) I put on it just fine - computers, lights, the fridge.

Other brands do have some useful added features that the Samlex doesn't, as well as the lack of real surge capacity. I'd probably get a different brand were I buying it knowing what I know now.