Options
2»

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Can one lightning arrestor protect two charge controllers
    BB. wrote: »
    The "ideal" method would be to unplug the solar array from the home and pull the cables 6 feet or more from the side of the home.

Opening a circuit breaker (or knife switch) is not going to really stop a lightning bolt that just came through a mile or so of air.

Would you want to be hanging on to the end of a cable that may get hit by lightning in the near future--Hmmm.... Perhaps not.

-Bill

Most definately! Better is 7 feet. Even better is 8 feet! I saw one jump from the end of the array cable about 6 feet so I am with you Bill.

A side note is if you are up on a mountain and get a regular visit from lightning, the arrestors need to be on a scheduled replacement schedule. The one advantage of not being unattended (a home compared to Telcom) is that there is someone there who can shut the system all the way down when the strikes get close.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

There is nothing you can do to prevent damage from a direct strike. You can only minimize damage potential from the ambient stray Voltage present in a lightning strike area. Your efforts to do so could become extreme to the point of ridiculousness.

I've seen a lot of lightning and the damage it can cause. Including destroying several hundred feet of telephone wire, knocking out the "lightning arrestor" on the line, and still having enough power to jump several feet in the basement of the house and blow a hole in the copper water pipe as it finally earthed itself. It all happens in an instant too.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

turning the breaker off to a point will help prevent damage. if it's a direct strike then forget it as it's toast, but smaller emp energy from nearby strikes will have that one path disabled with it off. emp can get strong enough to jump across small gaps in switches and breakers when lightning is that close and the other wire, the negative, is still poised to pick up that potential surge so protection measures still need to be utilized such as that afforded by an spd.
  • tonygcan
    tonygcan Solar Expert Posts: 91 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks. I guess that pretty much answers that suggestion. :D I guess the best thing to do is ground and disconnect during lightning storms.