Newbe Introduction and advice needed

kodioneill
kodioneill Registered Users Posts: 7
Hi I'm Mike I live in New York and I'm in the beginning stages of a 8kw pv install.
My thoughts are to install a Enphase inverters system along with Keyocera (sp) array.
Fixed mounting, Grid tie and net metering.

Any advice is welcome thanks in advance.

Any mounting advice or other things to look at?

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Newbe Introduction and advice needed

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the Forum. The Gird Tied section has some good discussions.

Here is one with lots of pix and discussion:
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=9090

And, you probably have seen this one, it is the second Sticky in this area of the froum:
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=6394

More later. Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

Is 8kW, the array size or inverter size? (8kW of inverter is too big for the backfeed code rule on your typical 200A service)
    Are you thinking of doing this your self or hiring it done? Enphase installation is easier for some but on a larger system like 8kW, a central inverter is generally better value. See the extensive discussions about Enphase.
    What sort of utility rate plans and incentives are available in your area?
    What is your annual usage pattern? Can you give your monthly kwh numbers?
    We are glad to help, thanks for coming here before spending money.
  • kodioneill

I will collect the information and submit it tomorrow. Please continue to educate me.

I do know that I use 35 kwh per day.
    I'm looking for a reduction not a 100% coverage of my use.
    I am eligable for a 30% fed and state tax credit. My utility rate is $6.00 per day for 35 kwh
    Thanks
    I was thinking of a 8kw array size what do you think I need?
    I'm a National Grid customer . Is an 8kw system to large for me? I have a 200 amp supply.
    I want to do it myself with some guidance from a local installer.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

35 kW hours per day is a tad high. My advice is to get a Kill-A-Watt meter (or similar) and start investigating your power use - before you lay out big money for any solar power. Conservation will return you more faster than production. Even if you have to buy all new appliances it doesn't come up to the cost of a 8 kW GT system.

Do you have natural gas or propane for all heating? (Furnace, hot water, stove, dryer).
    How's the insulation? Keeping the A/C inside well?
    Switched out the incandescents for CFL or LED?
    Energy efficient 'frige/freezer?
    Teach the kids what "OFF" means?

(We should make a standard check list for this stuff and I wish I hadn't said that 'cause I'll get volunteered. :p )
  • Vic

And, Mike,

Use NREL's PV Watts1, or PV Watts2 for your location, and plug in numbers to see how much your site and proposed array(s) will produce:
    http://www.nrel.gov/rredc/pvwatts/site_specific.html

You can shoose the PV Watts 1 calculator or PV Watts 2 from the above link.

The tilt of the array is often that of the most South-facing roof space, altho some do ground mounts, or Trackers. Trackers really shine in the Summer if you have a site with very good views horizon-to-horizon.

Enphase inverters do well if there is some partial shading of arrays.

Search this site for " enphase " to read the wealth of info here on systems using them, and some of the trade-offs.

I am not a GT guy, so do not have lots to offer. Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Vic

And, Regarding Racks,

The generous host of this site offers these mounting solutions:
    http://www.solar-electric.com/panel-mounts.html

UniRac & ProSolar also do a good job for racking.
    This site host used to carry UniRac until about two months ago. They may still be able to get them, but there is no longer info on the above page.

My most recent install used UniRac hardware. it is off grid, but looks more line a Grid Tied system, as the racks are at the roof pitch, and are not adjustable (unlike many off grid systems).
    Vic
  • kodioneill
    35 kW hours per day is a tad high. My advice is to get a Kill-A-Watt meter (or similar) and start investigating your power use - before you lay out big money for any solar power. Conservation will return you more faster than production. Even if you have to buy all new appliances it doesn't come up to the cost of a 8 kW GT system.

Do you have natural gas or propane for all heating? (Furnace, hot water, stove, dryer).
    How's the insulation? Keeping the A/C inside well?
    Switched out the incandescents for CFL or LED?
    Energy efficient 'frige/freezer?
    Teach the kids what "OFF" means?

(We should make a standard check list for this stuff and I wish I hadn't said that 'cause I'll get volunteered. :p )

I used my power bill graph and summary for the use figure.
    I don't have AC
    I have oil heat boiler with radiant
    I live out in the country
    no kids
    I heat with wood and I have a DHW solar system that works fantastic along with a heat exchanger in my wood stove they produce all my hot water needs.
    I have a shop for car repair and I use a lot of electricity heating the shop , welding and lighting.
    House is 7 years old and insulated very well.
    I realize that conserving is warranted but I think that before to long our power bills will double and that will make the solar system worth every Penney of the investment. As it is now I pay on average $200.00 a month for electricity.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

All good, except for the "electricity heating the shop". Bad way to heat things, electricity; inefficient. But I can understand why; no open flame. That's probably your biggest power user. The welding not so much so because it isn't constant. Lighting ... What kind? Flourescent tube? Mercury vapour? Incandescent?

This is something to at least look at.