SW4048PV Questions

Options
I've got an Xantrex 4048PV. It's from a California SMUD grid-tie installation, dated 1995.
The unit is installed in a wall mount enclosure with 8 input PV input board and AC & DC breakers. I've downloaded an SW4048 manual, but it doesn't describe the PV type unit.
I'm interested in using it for an off grid system. Will any mods be needed for this? I'm wondering if different firmware will be needed. One of the eeproms in the unit is named
'SMUD.' The other four have the 4.XX version numbers. I'm interested in any info about this beast.

Thanks,

Scott

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: SW4048PV Questions

For grid tied operation, it does not meet current requirements--So you probably would not get a new install approved... If the inspectors are careful.

For off grid use, be careful about placing too much money into that system... Usually, 10+ year old hardware is almost impossible to get parts or find somebody to repair..

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Thanks for the reply Bill.
    It appears I stumped the forum, as I got no answers about the 4048PV ID.
    I got the inverter from a friend for a good price & plan to work on it myself if needed.
    There seems to be very limited info available for these (beyond the owners manual which is very good)...no schematic or service manual, which is a real shame. I don't think Xantrex has to worry about their design being copied as old as it is. Is this policy typical of other manufacturers of inverters and charge controllers? I'm used to getting good documentation for products in the professional video and avionics areas. Even my old Mitsubishi projection TV had a nice service manual/schematic.

Scott
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Use it until it stops working. Install it with the idea that you may have to replace it. Most of the good service people use old units to get parts from and so the real challenge is finding someone with the talent. The XW is module based and far easier for service people and can be repaired "on the wall"

I use a guy down in So Cal but these days it just is easier to have a spare Inv/Chg. People on the forum here will help you "shoot" a failure.

You can call on the telephone and Xantrex/Schneider may have some info if you have the serial X. There have not been any offgrid changes to the SW for a decades so it should be fine.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net