How do I get my utility company to give me a rebate?

Options
rollandelliott
rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
So I've read ( with a bit of jealousy) about utility companies all over the country offering around $2/watt for residential solar PV installations.

DTE in Michigan had a pilot program that eneded in May 2011 that my brother should of taken advantage of. Progress energy in Florida has had them. I've read about ones in AZ and TX, and MD.

Seems like the common reason I've head is the companies do this is because they are mandated by the federal government to have a certain percentage of renewable energy. Some choose to make their own solar panel farms and others give rebates so their customers do the work.

Is this the real reason? It seems like in some situations it is the actual state government that demands solar PV usage.
Like this bill from North Carolina http://www.ncipl.org/Documents/H495v11.pdf

If so why are not more utility companies all around the US doing it? I'd love to get involved in sponsoring a bill with my senator to get stuff like this going in my state. How would I get started.

Peace, Rolland

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: How do I get my utility company to give me a rebate?

What they did in California is double our power rates, give some of the money to the customers who installed solar and the installer's prices were about the price of the rebate higher than other places without rebates--and kept the rest for administration.

Not something you would probably like to do.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options

Not a chance in Florida with all three branch of government all republican, not to mention we are broke as a State

Senator Paula Dockery ( R - Lakeland ) was the one that sponsored the State Wide rebate 2007-2010, but the state was fulsh with funds due to the run-a-way housing market ( transfer taxes generated were in the Billions in revenue ), now, there cutting aid to the disabled, unemployed and massive cuts to education, not a good environment to claim you or your family is entitled to 20K rebates.

The FPL rebate has nothing to do with mandates, they are taking advantage of corporate tax benifts and selling REC's on top of the energy created.

The time of rebates and incentives are close to over for our generation, Government is broke and giving money away that has to be borrowed will soon be over.
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
    Options

After further research I found out that REPUBLICANS tried to pass a bill in North Carolina this past Spring to double the Solar electricty generation mandate for utility companies, but it failed in part to the utility companies not wanting it.

Yeah I was surprised too, I thought only democrats did stuff like that, but with several thousand jobs potentially being created in a bad economy I guess any party would jump on board.

Also interesting enough the two largest electricity companies duke and progress already have a lot of solar. Duke has met the mandate met till 2018 , progress till 2014 and progress is taking bids from people to create mega watt solar farms for them.

http://energync.org/blog/ncsea-news/2011/06/14/duke-energy-admits-no-more-solar-needed-in-nc-for-reps/

has all the details in case u are interested.
  • The Only Sarge
    The Only Sarge Solar Expert Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not a chance in Florida with all three branch of government all republican, not to mention we are broke as a State

Senator Paula Dockery ( R - Lakeland ) was the one that sponsored the State Wide rebate 2007-2010, but the state was fulsh with funds due to the run-a-way housing market ( transfer taxes generated were in the Billions in revenue ), now, there cutting aid to the disabled, unemployed and massive cuts to education, not a good environment to claim you or your family is entitled to 20K rebates.

The FPL rebate has nothing to do with mandates, they are taking advantage of corporate tax benifts and selling REC's on top of the energy created.

The time of rebates and incentives are close to over for our generation, Government is broke and giving money away that has to be borrowed will soon be over.

It was the Democrats here in Texas who fought the program(s) tooth and nail. They said RE was "toys for the rich" and the money was needed for their give-a-way programs to the illegals, lazy.

Bottom line is it is inappropriate to lay "blame" for the lack of ,or the reduction of, any RE incentives on one political party.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Careful, folks; this thread is slipping down that political slope.

Take it from a Canadian; we have three major parties here and you can't tell 'em apart by the way they behave. :roll:
  • Juram
    Juram Solar Expert Posts: 36
    Options
    So I've read ( with a bit of jealousy) about utility companies all over the country offering around $2/watt for residential solar PV installations.

DTE in Michigan had a pilot program that eneded in May 2011 that my brother should of taken advantage of. Progress energy in Florida has had them. I've read about ones in AZ and TX, and MD.

Seems like the common reason I've head is the companies do this is because they are mandated by the federal government to have a certain percentage of renewable energy. Some choose to make their own solar panel farms and others give rebates so their customers do the work.

Is this the real reason? It seems like in some situations it is the actual state government that demands solar PV usage.
    Like this bill from North Carolina http://www.ncipl.org/Documents/H495v11.pdf

If so why are not more utility companies all around the US doing it? I'd love to get involved in sponsoring a bill with my senator to get stuff like this going in my state. How would I get started.

Peace, Rolland

Real simple

First thing you're going to need is some black gloves.

Then you're going to need a black mask.

Finally, you're going to need a gun.....................................................
  • snuffy
    snuffy Solar Expert Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I looked into that as DTE is the utility company here. With all the incentives I would have ended up paying around 20% of the total cost if I recall correctly. What kept me from doing it was you had to sign a contract with DTE for a 20 year commitment. If you wanted to sell your house after a few years and the buyer didn't want to take on the contract with DTE, you'd have to pay DTE all the incentives back. I really didn't want to become a business partner with a company loaded with lawyers.