Anyone know who makes a 32" side of pole mount for a panel?

Mariner777
Mariner777 Solar Expert Posts: 29
I want to mount some solar panels on two poles I have - I have a 32" wide 145 watt solar panel and can get a 32" wide 120 watt panel cheap - If I could find a 32" side of pole mount I would be thrilled. I have seen TPSM I think makes one about 27 plus or minus two and Iron ridge I think makes 26"

Anyone know who makes a 32"

Perhaps slap a piece of plywood on a smaller mount and incur all risks of the panel being overweight and not having air flow and overheating?

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Anyone know who makes a 32" side of pole mount for a panel?

UniRac appears to make some larger Side of Pole mounts. However, they are not inexpensive.

The host of this site used to carry UniRac, but seem to no longer. You might ask your search engine for help.

The Uni site is useless, as cannot find a "Search" feature, and all of their products have cutsie names, not functional names.

Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

Why don,t you just get a top of pole rack that you can put both panels on? I have an 8 panel rack with 3 different size panels on it. Only had to drill a couple holes in the panel frame on 2 of them to get them to fit. :Dsolarvic:D
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    solarvic wrote: »
    Why don,t you just get a top of pole rack that you can put both panels on? I have an 8 panel rack with 3 different size panels on it. Only had to drill a couple holes in the panel frame on 2 of them to get them to fit. :Dsolarvic:D

be careful here as drilling holes into a pv frame could void its warranty and throw it out of certification.
  • solarvic
    niel wrote: »
    be careful here as drilling holes into a pv frame could void its warranty and throw it out of certification.
    OP didn,t say if both panels are the same brand. If they are chances are the bolt pattern is the same. I have kc 158 panels and kd 185 panels that are the same bolt pattern. I have 2 sharp 167 panels that are very close in domensions as the kyocera panels. One end of the panels I used the original holes. On other end I had to drill new holes about an inch from where the original holes are. I can,t see where that could hurt the panels as it is on the bottom side of the u channel of the frame. I never had a problem yet and don,t think I am going to worry much about it. The electrician I hired did a boo boo I don,t like. He cut the connecter off one of my panels to connect into the combiner box. So is chance if I ever have problem with that panel The warranty might not be covered. :Dsolarvic:D
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

solarvic,
    pvs need tested and approvaled for the holes that are there and are a condition of certification. by adding even 1 hole without being approved in advance through testing it will throw a pv out of certification and in doing so also voids the factory warranty. you simply are not allowed to change the pv in any way.
  • Mariner777

Top of the pole is out as there are wind turbines up there. Have googled around and it seems they make them for 25-29" wide panels cant find a 32" oh well back to the drawing board...
  • HuckMeat
    HuckMeat Registered Users Posts: 24
    Mariner777 wrote: »
    Top of the pole is out as there are wind turbines up there. Have googled around and it seems they make them for 25-29" wide panels cant find a 32" oh well back to the drawing board...

What does wind turbines have anything to do with a TPM not working?

Most are rated to 90MPH, some of the DPW mounts go higher than that with the high wind kit.
  • Mariner777

The tops of the tower poles have wind turbines on them so there are no vacant poletops on the boat if you will. Are you saying that a TPM mount can be mounted on the side of a pole? Perhaps some sort of T fittings might make it work on an arm or something but seems more hassle then just getting a side of pole mount to begin with.
  • solarvic
    Mariner777 wrote: »
    The tops of the tower poles have wind turbines on them so there are no vacant poletops on the boat if you will. Are you saying that a TPM mount can be mounted on the side of a pole? Perhaps some sort of T fittings might make it work on an arm or something but seems more hassle then just getting a side of pole mount to begin with.
    Well you didn,t say it was on a boat. I assumed you was on land. Since I don,t know much about boats, can,t help much, but think you might be able to use non pole mounted rack.
    :Dsolarvic:D