Need help please, Don't under stand what went wrong

Options
Urbandialect
Urbandialect Solar Expert Posts: 107 ✭✭✭✭
The problem's fixed but need somebody to help me understand what happened? Ok, I have 4 solar panels I’ve built, 2 of the solar panels are coming in at 10 and 12 volts so I wire them together in sires + to - . after doing so the voltage went up to around 22 volt or so.. then I wired them together to the other 2 solar panels in parallel that are coming in around 18 volts then hooked them up to charge control and the Charge control would NOT charge the 12 volt battery bank. The red light would stay on indicating low battery and the yellow light would come on, but the green light which indicates that it’s charging the battery would never come on or stay on. It was pulling in 8.5 amps, and when I tested what the voltage was coming out of the charge controller, it was coming out around 13.5/14 volts

The charge controller is a Sunsei 12/24 volt 25amp charge controller model CC25000, I got it for 29.99 plus $4.00 dollars for shipping off ebay.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QXDDS6?ie=UTF8&tag=wilyapjou-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001QXDDS6

So then I decided to hook all 4 of them up in parallel, so disconnect the 2 that I wired in series and wired them in parallel.. After wiring them all in parallel I tested the voltage before hooking them up to the charge controller and the voltage was the same as the lowest voltage panel which was around 10 volts, after hooking them to the charge controller I tested the voltage coming out of the charge controller and it was at 13 volts <(which I don’t understand) Then I hooked the batteries up to the charge controller and the green light came on indicating it was charging the battery, and it stayed on this time.. After about an hour I was able to confirm the battery was being charged with my battery tester..

also I went from coming in at 8.5amps to coming in at 12 amps, which makes sense, but My question is how is the voltage being boosted? Is it the charge controller? Is this what the PWM does?

I’m glad its working correctly now but not understanding why defeats the purpose of me doing it myself. I’m trying to learn and understand my solar system. I read the Operating Instructions for my solar charge controller and I came across this sentence:
“All connections should be in PARALLEL. Ensure that connections are clean and solid.”
So does this mean that 2 panels wired together in series then connected to this Charge Controller won’t work? This is my conclusion based on the test I’ve run but I just wanted to know if anyone else has ever had this problem, and what was their conclusion to what caused the problem?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Need help please, Don't under stand what went wrong

Ah, the lovely, nutty contest of "current source vs. Voltage source"! :D

Oh, and let's not forget Voc vs. Vmp. It makes a big difference which one your measuring. The Open circuit Voltage (Voc) is often 8 Volts higher on a "12 Volt" panel. The Voltage at maximum power (Vmp) is usually around 17-18 for the same panel. What it is on homemade panels is anyone's guess.

Most probably your charge controller didn't like see 20+ Volts on its input, especially if that is at Vmp. If these were "standard" panels you'd be putting 35 Vmp through a PWM controller, and with a 12 Volt system most of that power is just wasted. Basically the Voltage is "dragged down" and the current never goes above that of one panel, regardless of the fact there's two in series. PWM controllers can not make use of higher Voltage to create Amperage. Re-arrange the same panels in parallel and all of a sudden you're pushing full Amps.

Here's a suggestion: measure the input Voltage on the charge controller when charging. Check it with each panel individually. It's not perfect, but it will give you some idea of the Vmp on the panels. Hopefully it will be around 17 Volts. If you've got one that's 2 Volts lower, it's a waste of time to hook that in with the others as it won't really be contributing anything to the charging.
  • Urbandialect
    Options

When I measure the voltage on the solar panels by themselves w/no load and not hooked up to anything, that's the VOC..right? if this is true, then i have 2 panels coming in under 12 volts.

The VMP on each cell is .5, so I'll add all the cells up to get that totall, one panel has 36 cells, the other has 40 cells..the one with 40 cells the VMP would be 20 but this is the one panel when I measure the voltage is the lowest, it's a panel made from broken cells when I test it alone with the volt meter comes in at 10 volts

The other panel with 36 comes in right at 11.5 -12 volts.. So is it the VMP that the charge controllers recognize? if so it would make sense, seeing that if i wired the 2 panels in series one with 36 cells and another with 40 cells, it would push the VMP pass what the Charge controller is rated for at 12volts..
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

If the Vmp rating per cell is 0.5 Volts and you put 36 of them in series the Vmp of the panel should be 18. If you put 40 of them in series the Vmp should be 20.

If you've got panels whose Voc is coming in around 12 Volts they'll be useless in charging a 12 Volt battery. If these were built with broken/defective cells chances are they can't put out their rated Amperage either.

If your other panels are coming up with a Vmp of only 12 Volts they're not going to be much good at charging the battery either. Normal Vmp for a "12 Volt" panel is 17-18; you have to have more than battery charge Voltage in order to push the battery Voltage up.

Let's say you have two typical "12 Volt panels": Vmp 17.5, Imp 7.5. 17.5 * 7.5 = 133 Watts (more or less). Put two of these in series and feed it through a PWM type controller to a 12 Volt system. The array Vmp is now 35 but the Imp remains 7.5. Trouble is, there's nothing to convert that "extra" Voltage to current. The panels Voltage is dragged down to charging level (around 14.4 Volts, more or less) and the extra power potential is just plain lost as panels are current sources not Voltage sources and the current can not exceed the maximum. You'll still only get about 7.5 Amps into the 12 Volt battery. If it were a 24 Volt battery you'd get 7.5 Amps, but at the higher charging Voltage. This is why the same PWM controller can be used with different system Voltages, but the array has to be at the right Voltage level for charging because there is no circuitry to adjust that here. Likewise if the panel Voltage is too low there's not enough to push the current (as in some panels with "odd" Vmp's like "23.4" trying to be used on a 24 Volt system that needs 28+ Volts to charge).

To extend that "odd" Vmp example: say it is a 210 Watt (available or nominal) panel and you have it on a 12 Volt system. Basically you lose the percentage difference between the panel Vmp and the system's "ideal" Vmp (over-simplification here; any engineers reading this are now cringing). About 25% of the panel's power potential, 52 Watts, is lost.

Normally a panel has cells in series to make a string, and then two or three strings in parallel to increase current. There's quite a lot of ways to do this of course, depending on what output is desired - in terms of Watts, Volts, and Amps. It sounds like yours are falling shy of what is needed to do a good job of charging. You have the "right number" of cells in series, but they don't seem to be living up to specifications. This can be caused by connection fault - or defective cells.

In case you're wondering, it's pretty easy to get the Voc out of a panel. I've seen broken ones put out 22+ Volts - until you put a load on. Then instead of 6 or 7 Amps of current they produce less than one.
  • Urbandialect
    Options

You just confused me even more...

I have 2 panels who's Voc is less than 12 volts
    I wired them together in series and they went up to 22 volts..
    Hooked them up to charge controller in parallel with 2 other panels with a Voc of 18, and the charge controller would not charge the 12volt battery bank.
    took the 2 panels wired together in series with a VOC below 12volt and wired them in parallel instead with the other 2 panels with a voc of 18, when I messured the VOC without being hooked up to the charge controller, it was 10 volts..then iran it threw the charge controller and the Voltage coming out the charge controller was 13.5 volts, light turned green on the Charge controller and it started charging the batteries..

Based on what you said, this should not have happened? I'm trying to understand why it's working.. if it didn't work it would make more sense..
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Regrettably, Voc is not important. It can be high and yet the panel can be useless. It's almost impossible to get an accurate Vmp reading too. But you can get an accurate Isc reading.

Take each panel in turn. Set your multimeter on 10 Amps DC (it needs to be able to do this) and connect it across the leads of the panel. Place panel in full sun; read Amps. That number is more important than any other: it is the current ('I' - from the old term "Intensity") at short circuit. Panels are current sources, and they'll allow their Voltage to go all over the place while trying to put out their maximum current, which is dependent on the resistance of the load applied and the intensity of the light hitting them.

Try each panel separately on the controller. The "good" (18 Voc) panels should be able to light up the charge on their own, depending on the battery's SOC (that's the other variable that screws things up).

This is the whole trouble with testing panels: variables. Different light (and angle), unnoticed errors in connections, varying temperatures, changing loads, et cetera. It's no wonder you're perplexed/frustrated; what you're trying to work out is a difficult thing to determine. The tediousness of testing procedures doesn't help. Methodically checking each component under like circumstances is much easier in a lab than out in the real world.

My guess would be the two "10 Volt" panels are doing nothing and the "18 Volt" panels are providing the charge. Plus, that particular charge controller may be input limited to prevent over-Voltage conditions.

You can also skip the controller, for testing purposes, and just connect one panel at a time to the battery through an Ammeter and see what you get. You should be able to determine current flow (if the battery needs any) and see a slight rise in battery Voltage when the panel is attached.

It's bloody complicated stuff. Try to refrain from tearing your hair out. :p
  • Urbandialect
    Options

I can't figure this out, i guess i should be happy it working huh?
    Some how the Voltage is being boosted on 2 of my panels or I'm not getting an accurate reading on them when I test the Voltage with my voltage meter.

This has thrown a monkey wrench in my plan to understand solar and how it works.
    I've gone to some different websites trying to get answers and everyone is switching back and forth between what the charge controller is reading as Voltage, one site says it's the VMP, another site says it's the VOC.. based on my finding it has to be the VMP because the VOC on 2 of my panels is below 12 volts but when i hook it up to the charge controller it's coming out at 13.5 volts..

I'm reading the instruction on my Charge Controller and it says Voc and makes no mention of VMP.. confusing as hell
  • Urbandialect
    Options

Just noticed another thing on instructions:
    where it says: Parameters

Parameters Units Sunsi CC25000
    Nominal Voltage Volts 12 or 24
    Array Voltage, Max (VOC) Volts 30 or 50
    Charging Current, Continuous (ip) Amps 25amps
    Operating Voltage at Battery, Volts 7 or 17
    Min Charging starts at:
    Boost Charge Voltage (2hours) Volts 14.5 or 29
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

PWM charge controllers, as a rule, don't read anything as Voltage. They take what they are given and pass it on. Under charging conditions this will be some number approaching Vmp: Voc is only read with no load on the panels. Its main significance is in not exceeding the maximum input Voltage any charge controller allows. All MPPT controllers will have a number for this (often 150 Volts) and some PWM controllers may have an input limit. Most do not, per se, but as I described before can't make use of higher Voltage to charge lower Voltage systems. With no battery connected to the controller (bad idea) the output will read the input - Voc. You can ruin a controller doing this, as it goes crazy trying to come up with a stable Voltage to base its pulsing on, so don't do it.

Test the panels as I described without the charge controller. If you want consistent results you have to eliminate as many variables as possible, and a controller is another variable.

BTW, the proper charging Voltage for a "12 Volt" system is 14.2-14.8 Volts. The reading will not be there to begin with, but the panels and controller should be able to bring it up to that level in a couple of hours - unless the battery is destroyed.
  • The Only Sarge
    The Only Sarge Solar Expert Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I looked up that controller and it tells me it is specifically for their (Sunsei) brand of 16.5 volt panels.

I am wondering if the (your) voltage exceeded it's input capacity?
  • Urbandialect
    Options
    I looked up that controller and it tells me it is specifically for their (Sunsei) brand of 16.5 volt panels.

I am wondering if the (your) voltage exceeded it's input capacity?

It was exceeding the input capacity for a 12volt, the VMP was over the allowed amount on the 2 panels i wired in series, one panel had 36 cells and another had 40 cells, that's 76 cells at .5 a cell, which is 38 VMP, for a 12volt system it can't exceed 30, but it says 30 Voc not 30 VMP, since the green light was NOT on i unhooked them and wired them in parallel and now it works fine and that's the problem, i'm not understanding how if both panels are below 12volts.. and when it goes into boost mode, which it did yesterday, I tested voltage coming out of the charge controller and it was coming out at 14.5 volts..

I'm going to take Cariboocoot's advice and test the ISC and eliminate as many variables as possible
  • The Only Sarge
    Options

Forgive my ignorance please. What is "boost mode"?
  • Slappy
    Slappy Solar Expert Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Current Boost
    Under most conditions, TrakStar
    TM
    MPPT technology will “boost” the solar charge current. For
    example, a system may have 36 Amps of solar current fl owing into the TS-MPPT and 44 Amps
    of charge current fl owing out to the battery. The TriStar MPPT does not create current! Rest assured that the power into the TriStar MPPT is the same as the power out of the TriStar MPPT.
    Since power is the product of voltage and current (Volts x Amps), the following is true*:
    (1) Power Into the TriStar MPPT = Power Out of the TriStar MPPT
    (2) Volts In x Amps In = Volts Out x Amps Out
    * assuming 100% efficiency. Losses in wiring and conversion exist.
    If the solar module’s maximum power voltage (Vmp
    ) is greater than the battery voltage, it follows
    that the battery current must be proportionally greater than the solar input current so that input
    and output power are balanced. The greater the difference between the Vmp
    and battery voltage,
    the greater the current boost. Current boost can be substantial in systems where the solar array
    is of a higher nominal voltage than the battery
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

I seriously doubt this is an MPPT charge controller - not for $30.

More likely "Boost Mode" is advertising hype for "Bulk Mode". "Boost" sounds more impressive than "bulk".
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options

This has thrown a monkey wrench in my plan to understand solar and how it works.
    I've gone to some different websites trying to get answers and everyone is switching back and forth between what the charge controller is reading as Voltage, one site says it's the VMP, another site says it's the VOC.. based on my finding it has to be the VMP because the VOC on 2 of my panels is below 12 volts but when i hook it up to the charge controller it's coming out at 13.5 volts..

Voc is always higher than Vmp, or any other voltage you can read on a module.

The "oc" in Voc means open circuit, which is the voltage across the module terminals (not the output terminals of the CC) at, theoretically, infinite resistance, which a voltmeter approximates. That voltage will always be higher than the voltage under any other loading conditions.

Vmp is an approximation of the voltage under maximum power conditions, which may or may not be the voltage at which your system operates. It depends on the loading presented to the module by whatever you have it connected to. In an off grid system when the batteries are fully charged and no loads are operating, the voltage (again, at the module terminals, not the CC output) will approach Voc because the CC has no place to put the power from the modules, so it dials the load down to nearly zero (very high resistance).

Both/all of these voltages are influenced by cell temperature. And if I haven't made it clear enough, Vmp and Voc refer to voltages at the module terminals, NOT at the output of the CC.
  • The Only Sarge
    Options
    Slappy wrote: »
    Current Boost
    Under most conditions, TrakStar
    TM
    MPPT technology will “boost” the solar charge current. For
    example, a system may have 36 Amps of solar current fl owing into the TS-MPPT and 44 Amps
    of charge current fl owing out to the battery. The TriStar MPPT does not create current! Rest assured that the power into the TriStar MPPT is the same as the power out of the TriStar MPPT.
    Since power is the product of voltage and current (Volts x Amps), the following is true*:
    (1) Power Into the TriStar MPPT = Power Out of the TriStar MPPT
    (2) Volts In x Amps In = Volts Out x Amps Out
    * assuming 100% efficiency. Losses in wiring and conversion exist.
    If the solar module’s maximum power voltage (Vmp
    ) is greater than the battery voltage, it follows
    that the battery current must be proportionally greater than the solar input current so that input
    and output power are balanced. The greater the difference between the Vmp
    and battery voltage,
    the greater the current boost. Current boost can be substantial in systems where the solar array
    is of a higher nominal voltage than the battery
    I fully understand MPPT...but he got a new one for 30 bucks? I looked his CC up and it is not a MPPT controller.....thus my question on "boost"....

With all that said....you did a great job describing the "magic" of MPPT friend!
  • The Only Sarge
    Options
    I seriously doubt this is an MPPT charge controller - not for $30.

More likely "Boost Mode" is advertising hype for "Bulk Mode". "Boost" sounds more impressive than "bulk".

Ahhh...I bet your right.;)
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    Ahhh...I bet your right.;)

Did you look at that page the OP linked to? They repeatedly use the word "amplifier" where they mean "Ampere". That's the kind of quality tech-writing that instills confidence in you! :p
  • Urbandialect
    Options

lol, yeah they got me with the wording, sounded good, and for $30 bucks i thought it was a good deal for a 25 amp charge controller, of course you get what you pay for, and right now it's giving me a head ache cause i can't figure out why it works the way it does... I guess i'm just going to be happy it's working.... Once i get this array up to 18-20amps.. I'm going to buy a better one..

My first generation of home built panels will be for this charge controller..
  • Slappy
    Slappy Solar Expert Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

sorry sarge, my bad, I just read the statement in general. :blush:
  • The Only Sarge
    Options
    Did you look at that page the OP linked to? They repeatedly use the word "amplifier" where they mean "Ampere". That's the kind of quality tech-writing that instills confidence in you! :p

I did see that. I am all for saving a buck....but will not "go cheap" on something that can burn my house down.
  • The Only Sarge
    Options
    Slappy wrote: »
    sorry sarge, my bad, I just read the statement in general. :blush:

Heck man.....if I ever have a MPPT question I am calling you!:p
  • The Only Sarge
    Options
    lol, yeah they got me with the wording, sounded good, and for $30 bucks i thought it was a good deal for a 25 amp charge controller, of course you get what you pay for, and right now it's giving me a head ache cause i can't figure out why it works the way it does... I guess i'm just going to be happy it's working.... Once i get this array up to 18-20amps.. I'm going to buy a better one..

My first generation of home built panels will be for this charge controller..

My first go at solar was with a Wellsee controller and harbor freight panels. The Chinese tech writers need an a$$ whuppin for sure.....We all are learning together....

What you are experiencing made me crazy....I measured voltage and didnt see diddly....batteries were full and controller wasn't doing squat....I thought I should be able to see 17-18 volts from the panels...Had me all foobared.....when I turned on the big shop stereo I saw plenty of activity then! :)

Without equipment specs and documentation it is difficult to "troubleshoot" much of anything.