Trace / Xantrex DR1512 schematic or service guide

Options
tr0y
tr0y Solar Expert Posts: 99 ✭✭✭
Hi all-

It appears my Trace DR1512 is dead. I was wondering if anyone has a service or repair manual ? I have an uncle that is an EE and has a lab full of test equipment. He was going to take a look at it and see if he can find the failed component.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• tr0y
    Options
    Re: Trace / Xantrex DR1512 schematic or service guide

Bump

No One ? Do these docs not exist ? Someone has to have one somewhere ...

Come on Guys, Help !
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Believe it or not, this issue comes up a lot; old inverter quit working, how to fix it?

The short answer is: you replace it.
    It's not just because they all ought to have one of those stickers that say "no user-serviceable parts inside" on them. The technology is past. Some of the components used are made anymore. Unless you can find another unit of the same model to scavenge from you likely won't get it going again even with a manual. Even then the chances are that the replacement parts won't have much life left in them either.

Trace-Xantrex-Schneider considers DR and SW units to be extinct. Seems their customer service hasn't improved any either.

Maybe someone out there somewhere can help you, but don't get your hopes up.
    This thread: http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=8661&highlight=Trace+SW+repair Post #7, Jimcan says he knows someone who fixes SW's. Maybe he can help.

My advice is to buy an Outback. :p
  • tr0y
    Options

Thanks Coot,

I know it is basically a replacement kind of deal, I would just like the ability to test before I toss it in the scrap heap. More of a post-mortem than anything, but the other reason is I have a relative that is an EE / Evil Genius Electronics guy that wants to take a wack at it for fun, he builds circuit boards and strange electronics for a hobby when not at work. Why not let him try ?

I know they are extinct animals, knock on wood the SW5548's in the house keep running, and the Outback gear is great I love my charge controllers, just hate the price that comes with new inverters.

I just have a hard time thinking that no one has a copy of these docs, I know they exist.

Xantrex should just let them out as goodwill if the technology is so far out of date, this inverter is well past it's patent lifecycle.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tr0y wrote: »
    Thanks Coot,

I know it is basically a replacement kind of deal, I would just like the ability to test before I toss it in the scrap heap. More of a post-mortem than anything, but the other reason is I have a relative that is an EE / Evil Genius Electronics guy that wants to take a wack at it for fun, he builds circuit boards and strange electronics for a hobby when not at work. Why not let him try ?

I know they are extinct animals, knock on wood the SW5548's in the house keep running, and the Outback gear is great I love my charge controllers, just hate the price that comes with new inverters.

I just have a hard time thinking that no one has a copy of these docs, I know they exist.

Xantrex should just let them out as goodwill if the technology is so far out of date, this inverter is well past it's patent lifecycle.

odds are that evil genius should then be able to open it up and view for possible blown parts. commonly the fets go bad and if they left the numbers on the fets you then can try to hunt down these ancient parts. there is a chance too of substitution, but in such a case all of the fets need replacing then for balance and it still may not work leading to a great easter egg hunt. this process is somewhat iffy for an item you could probably search ebay for and get one much cheaper than any repair would be and why bother with all of this as it is an opportunity to upgrade to a sine wave inverter.

as to xantrex releasing that info i would not hold my breath waiting as they think that info is priceless and i don't think they are alone in that thinking.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options

I was at the Xantrex service center in Tennessee a couple weeks ago and they had pallets of old inverters they were having cut apart for the copper and scrap aluminum in the cases.
  • tr0y
    Options

Just another little piece of our throw-away society ...
  • Battling Bob
    Battling Bob Registered Users Posts: 20
    Options

Dean Abney (contactus@abneysolarelectrix.com) in Redmond, Oregon, works on Xantrex stuff and sometimes has reconditioned units for sale--I was referred to him by Ken Ripley at Trace years ago as a field installation expert. Schneider Electric does have a helpful fellow who's been around for a long time--Nick at 866-519-1470.
  • The Only Sarge
    The Only Sarge Solar Expert Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options