Problems with my home made panels (fire!!)

Options
Urbandialect
Urbandialect Solar Expert Posts: 107 ✭✭✭✭
So i've been testing the panels I built. 3 70watt panels, I had them all hooked up in parallel yesterday, and it was putting out the most amps i've seen from them 8.5 amps.

After about 4 hours I noticed some burning, by the end of the day I was able to isolate what was causing it and fixed it.

The panel would have caught fire had i not been monitor them

what was the causes?
I have 2 rows of 20 cells running side by side, the edge of one cell in one row was touching the edge of another cell in the other row next to it. They barely over lapped and that is what was causing the fire. The glass turned black and that burnt brown color was over that area on the glass , and on the back, a hole had nearly burned threw the back! I could tell if i left it out any longer it would of caught fire for sure..

How did i fix it..lol, I went ahead and cut out the burn spot in the back and broke the edge of both cells so they wouldn't touch, filled it w/ sillicone and put it back out, and no more burning issues........

what did we learn? How panels catch fire! make sure your cells don't touch each other at all..

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Problems with my home made panels (fire!!)

Sorry you had that problem, but thanks for sharing. Hopefully it will pre-warn others. Another fire trigger is a poor, or lose connection which can easily start a DC arc. Interesting, the other day I was helping a neighbor hook up some (what I would call toy) panels they purchased from a hardware/automotive retail outlet. (low quality, high price) This national chain also sells a "power pack" that contains a 1000 watt MSW inverter, powered by two 7 AH motorcycle batteries (hidden inside the box so the customer only sees a magic black box with an electrical outlet) that they promote as useful for running your fridge and freezer during power outages, implying but not saying, it could keep even your major appliances running for several days during an outage. And so far they've been getting away with it. Anyway, back on track, I checked the output from the open circuit panels, 29 volts, noon with full on sun, and 3 amps total when shorted. To show her that there really was electricity coming from the roof, I touched the wires together several times to show her the arc, and was rather surprised at how easily an arc could be maintained even with these "toys". Could DEFINITELY have started a fire if such an arc were to occur elsewhere. Even the little plugs molded onto the end of each panel's lead wire, and connects them together. These are "toy type" connectors, DEFINITELY NOT water proof, or even water resistant, and are by module design, exposed to weather/rain/salt spray from the nearby ocean - - what happens when resistance builds with corrosion and age? And yes, they are out of China. The more I think of it, the more I regret being involved. Hard to say NO to a long time friend who has already gone ahead, made the purchase and is oh-so-proud of it. :cry:
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

And people wonder why we constantly warn against homemade panels around here. :roll:

In regards to Wayne's experiment: 15 VDC is "arc point"; above that Voltage a DC arc becomes sustainable. In other words, it starts sparking and won't quit. Better than the igniter found on most BBQ's.
  • Urbandialect
    Options
    And people wonder why we constantly warn against homemade panels around here. :roll:

I still support building your own panels, but I am against mounting home made panels. (as you can see why) if it's a grid tie, it's best to buy it from the professionals
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    I still support building your own panels, but I am against mounting home made panels. (as you can see why) if it's a grid tie, it's best to buy it from the professionals

Build-your-own is getting to be more expensive that commercial panels these days. They can never be as good a quality, no matter how careful you are. Good learning experience, fine for experimenting. But not suitable for an install "where it counts" because they could fail at any time and will not last the 20+ years of a manufactured unit. Sometimes even the manufactured units don't last!

Grid-tie should only be done with commercial units. Technically it's illegal to do otherwise anywhere in the U.S. and Canada. Some local authorities and utilities don't seem to understand this, according to reports we get here from time to time.
  • bsolar
    bsolar Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Build-your-own is getting to be more expensive that commercial panels these days.

i read something along those lines today but a huge reversal of the trend is likely (according to this article) i never thought about it really but if they kill the tax credits it will probably put it out of reach for alot of peeps ..

http://oilprice.com/Alternative-Energy/Renewable-Energy/Clean-Tech-Sector-Heading-for-a-Major-Crash.html
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
    Options

If you need a smaller panel say 80 watts or less it is still cheaper to make it yourself. as these smaller panels are typically around 3$/watt vs $1/watt to make yourself.

And Dow Silicone products will seal any panel and last as long as the commercial ones that dow makes.

That being said DIY is only practical for small panels, large arrays, are better store bought.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you need a smaller panel say 80 watts or less it is still cheaper to make it yourself. as these smaller panels are typically around 3$/watt vs $1/watt to make yourself.

And Dow Silicone products will seal any panel and last as long as the commercial ones that dow makes.

That being said DIY is only practical for small panels, large arrays, are better store bought.

i'm going to agree and disagree with this.

i disagree that with commercial pvs at $3/w that it makes diy appealing because factoring the lowered pv output without specialized materials needed for good rated output and the shorter lifespan of the pvs for similar reasons. what good is a diy pv that outputs less and may only last maybe 1/3 of the time or less, but costs 1/3 as much?

i can say there is a breakeven point and depends on factors versus costs as diy would certainly outdo pvs with $10 and $20 per watt costs and pvs like that are out there and are usually small like the 10w or 5w class.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    niel wrote: »
    i'm going to agree and disagree with this.

i disagree that with commercial pvs at $3/w that it makes diy appealing because factoring the lowered pv output without specialized materials needed for good rated output and the shorter lifespan of the pvs for similar reasons. what good is a diy pv that outputs less and may only last maybe 1/3 of the time or less, but costs 1/3 as much?

i can say there is a breakeven point and depends on factors versus costs as diy would certainly outdo pvs with $10 and $20 per watt costs and pvs like that are out there and are usually small like the 10w or 5w class.

Exactly! This is not what a lot of DIY guys want to hear, and they may not listen, but unfortunately it's the truth, and beyond that, it's learning the hard way. I know from experience that when we get our heart set on something, it's hard to let go, even in the face of the fact that there's a better way. But that's just the way it is. Yes, as an experiment, or as an exercise in learning, by all means, go for it. But to save money and have a well operating system in the long term? Listen to Niel, he's NOT steering you wrong and it is of no benefit to him one way or the other. Like all the moderators here, he just wants what's best and safest for all involved. The final decision of course always rests with those who asked their questions of the experts in the first place. It's their work, their money, their results. For fly by night, BS answers, and conspiracy theories, there are all too many other forms that cater to that way of thinking. This forum, thanks to it's owner and moderators, is the real thing.
  • Urbandialect
    Options

solar cells:
    cheap 3x6 solar cells, u can get 40 grade A for $39.99 -.5v 1.8 watts.. makes a 70-50 watt panel
    I buy broken/chipped 3x6 at $9.99 for 40 of them on ebay :)
    6x6 mono solar cells, u can get 40 for $130.99- .67v 4.0 watts makes a 160-140 watt panel.
    I'm working on my master piece with these.. I got a piece of tempered glass for $10 of craigslist.org, the size of the glass is 24"x96"x3/16".. if my math is correct it will hold enough cells to make a 400 watt solar panel using the ***** (still working on how to place them)

DIY for life
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    solar cells:
    cheap 3x6 solar cells, u can get 40 grade A for $39.99 -.5v 1.8 watts.. makes a 70-50 watt panel
    I buy broken/chipped 3x6 at $9.99 for 40 of them on ebay :)
    6x6 mono solar cells, u can get 40 for $130.99- .67v 4.0 watts makes a 160-140 watt panel.
    I'm working on my master piece with these.. I got a piece of tempered glass for $10 of craigslist.org, the size of the glass is 24"x96"x3/16".. if my math is correct it will hold enough cells to make a 400 watt solar panel using the ***** (still working on how to place them)

DIY for life

Let us know how that works out on a cost-per-Watt basis for, say, twenty 200 Watt panels that are UL approved and viable for grid-tie or ten 175 Watt panels that will work for 20+ years in an off-grid install.
    Don't forget to include the cost of your time, investment in tools such as the temp controlled soldering iron, utility costs, and the value of the space used to build them in. It gets cheaper the more you make, btw.
  • rollandelliott
    Options

"i disagree that with commercial pvs at $3/w that it makes diy appealing because factoring the lowered pv output without specialized materials needed for good rated output and the shorter lifespan of the pvs for similar reasons. what good is a diy pv that outputs less and may only last maybe 1/3 of the time or less, but costs 1/3 as much?"

you are right most DIY panels probably last less than 25 years, HOWEVER, not all DIY panels do and if you use the right materials like dow 6010 encapsulant, tempered glass and aluminum frame than the assumption that they will last 1/3rd the time and 1/3rd the power becomes incorrect and it is cheaper to build your own panel for a small 80 watt panel. Maybe for your RV or to power some remote LED garden security lights, water pump etc. It might cost you $100 in materials and you'll learn a lot.

Now if you start spending over $200 on DIY projects you probably are better off buying them premade, but I'm not going to assume that every country, economy, prices, etc are the same as mine. I'm sure there are some places where DIY might be economical even at $2 a watt.

Peace, Rolland
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Urbandialect,

Interesting that you should bring up the cells on e-Pay, and some culls as well.

I was biting my tongue previously, wanting to state that I'd bet that short of a huge glut of cells on the market, that it is impossible to get the best cells individually (not in completed panels), as the manufacturers want these, and there needs to be a place for the culls to go. That place is the DIY market.

Solar cells are semiconductors. For many decades, semiconductors have been binned (sorted) based on quality. In the past for ICs and the like, there has not been a market for product that does not work fairly well. My personal OPINION is that the DIY cells can be fairly low quality -- low output, and still find customers, who will spend hour-after-hour taking these culls and building panels which will significantly underperform those commercially available. This IS my bias.

I do wonder about the 0.67 V spec on one of your cell references. THis must be some new animal, seems high even if it was Voc.

Dunno, do not want to pick on you ... I, too, love making things with my hands and mind, but would not want to take the time to build something like solar panels, or an automobile. I COULD do it, but, life is fairly short.

Good Luck, and Have Fun, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

I agree that the price per Watt for commercial small panels is painful. At the under 100 Watt scale building your own starts to look attractive. Problem is, you may build several before you get one that works; they can be tricky to assemble for the inexperienced. As with so many other things, learn as much as you can about it before you start spending and stressing. :cool:
  • Urbandialect
    Options
    Vic wrote:
    ;
    I do wonder about the 0.67 V spec on one of your cell references. THis must be some new animal, seems high even if it was Voc.

I'm not sure if i'm looking at the right one for the voltage per cell

Cell Specifications: Rated power : ~4 Wp
    Open circuit voltage: 0.610v -0.621v
    Short circuit current: 8.18 amp - 8.78 amp
    Operating voltage: 0.488 v - 0.50 v
    Operating current: 7.51 amp - 8.14 amp
    Weight: Just above 6 grams, or 0.2 oz.

i'm getting mine off ebay on bids, can't access ebay from this computer had to go to another site for the specs, but there it is
    http://www.everbrightsolar.net/72-mono-solar-cells-6x6-grade-a-diy-panel7266.html
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

wayne,
    it looks like you are right for they do not listen and continue to hype unrealistically.

i'm not going to say you guys can't make a decent pv because given the right materials you can, but odds are it won't be as good as the commercial ones either in output or longevity for the cost. your best chances of a good pv per cost of materials that may have a chance of longevity will be the very low wattage types under about 40w or so as a good guess with the best chances going head to head with the 5w and 10w area of pvs.

it would be very interesting to know if some of these diy pvs will be around in 5yrs or even 10yrs let alone 20yrs with similar derating curves as the commercial types.
  • rollandelliott
    Options

BP and dow published a paper showing a panel that lasted over 25 years made of the same 3 materials many diy people use, glass, the solar cells, then silicone encapsulant (most likely sylgard 184 since that is what dow was selling at that period in time), framed by aluminum. I am basing my expectations on that and have yet to hear any argument that disproves the fact that panels have been made with those materials and lasted that long with only 5% loss. This isn't some hypothetical conjecturing, if you use the right materials it has been shown they last that long.

read this:

http://www.dowcorning.com/content/solarga/solargasuccess/_stories.aspx

now if there is some reason that this simple 3 layer strategy would fail in 5-10 years please point it out. I'm listening for logical facts. Notice the lack of hype in any of my posts.:D

Peace, Rolland
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Here's a rhetorical question for those who like to build their own panels:
    When you seal your panels up, what are sealing inside them?

The commercial products are made under clean, controlled conditions. They are not locking dirt and moisture inside from the start. Are you?
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

AND, it is not just the materials, it is also how they are used/applied. For most panels the glass is simply not just glass. The material used for interconnects is important, as there are huge temp cycling issues -- lots of expansion/contraction of verey thing, each at its own rate, and so on.

There are a number of trade art aspects as well.

I admire the desire to make something of your own, and the patience needed to do it, but think that there are many, many things involved that do not meet the eye of most of us.

But, Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • rollandelliott
    Options

"They are not locking dirt and moisture inside from the start. Are you? "

most probably are NOT using a clean room and thus getting dirt inside in very small amounts.
    silicone breathes moisture, so you really can't lock in water vapor
    see
    http://www.dowcorning.com/content/publishedlit/06-1023-01.pdf

there is no evidence i've seen that says dirt harms solar cells.

as far as soldering goes/interconnects, I've seen videos on youtube of cells being soldered together by machines, but I've also seen them soldered by hand in factories with literally 20 workers all soldering at once, it takes some practice but it not that hard.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Some people won't take facts for an answer. :roll:

Let's all remember how this thread began, and what the title of it is.
  • The Only Sarge
    The Only Sarge Solar Expert Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am a do it yourself guy. Built my own barn, overhaul my motors you name it I do it myself.

When the evil Canadian 'Coot got me hooked on this solar business I did not hesitate and started down the path of making my own panels. Did not take long to figure out I was not going to be making my own panels. Some of the issues I found early on were "iffy" poor quality solar cells for sale, significant issues with product quality i.e. sealing the panel, glass etc. On and on.....

So...I looked at purchasing panels. I can buy UL rated Kyocera 135 watt panels from Arizona Wind and Solar for about what I would pay to make the dad gum things. And have a warranty and UL rating. As my system has grown I recently purchased 125 watt panels with free shipping from UL Solar. The panel cost went down even further. The customer support/shipping/packaging et al is 100%. The panels are top quality and perform as advertised. UL rated with warranty.

So if I add any value to this thread please allow my personal experience in researching to build my own or buy. I buy and still get to keep my man card as a do it yourselfer.;)
  • Urbandialect
    Options
    I am a do it yourself guy. Built my own barn, overhaul my motors you name it I do it myself.

When the evil Canadian 'Coot got me hooked on this solar business I did not hesitate and started down the path of making my own panels. Did not take long to figure out I was not going to be making my own panels. Some of the issues I found early on were "iffy" poor quality solar cells for sale, significant issues with product quality i.e. sealing the panel, glass etc. On and on.....

So...I looked at purchasing panels. I can buy UL rated Kyocera 135 watt panels from Arizona Wind and Solar for about what I would pay to make the dad gum things. And have a warranty and UL rating. As my system has grown I recently purchased 125 watt panels with free shipping from UL Solar. The panel cost went down even further. The customer support/shipping/packaging et al is 100%. The panels are top quality and perform as advertised. UL rated with warranty.

So if I add any value to this thread please allow my personal experience in researching to build my own or buy. I buy and still get to keep my man card as a do it yourselfer.;)

Hmmm.. Maybe i'm doing something wrong, My cost per panel is low and the quality isn't that bad either.. i'm aways lurking on craigslist for good deals on tempered glass, my most recent find was 8 pieces of 12" x 66" and 1/3 inch thick of tempered glass for $6.00 a piece. fits 40 cells

For the backing i use the $10. backing board from Lowes/Home depot. It's the same backer board the teachers use in school, the Dry easer board, the white side exposed to elements. One piece of backer board made the back for 4 panels.

Then i buy 2 8foot 1/2 inch C channell or U channell, they are $8 a piece, roughly $17 for both. i cut it with a miter saw for the angels to fit plush around the panel. It takes 2 peices to make one panel. so that's $17 per panel.

Solar cells? right now i'm using broken/chipped 3x6 cells that I won off ebay for $9. rated 1.8 watts at .5volts. after shipping the totally cost of cell was $19.02 I got 40 of them for that price.

Then a couple of tubes of dow silicone, and a few inches of number 12 gauge wire. all that was under $15.00.

Go look and see how much a 65-70 watt panel cost, My panels are coming in around 60 to 50 watts. So far i've built 4 but 2 are wired together because they both came in around 14 volts, I made the first 2 with only 36 cells, i've since started using all 40 cells.

the panels i make I make to be weather proof, but i don't plan on mounting them. I'm also building a wooden stand on the side of my house to put them on, and i'll have a tarp i'll throw over it in bad weather and at night, but right now i'm pulling them in and out of the garage as needed.
  • rollandelliott
    Options

yes there is something that you are doing wrong, you are not using any type of encapsulation and I'm assuming that backerboard is some kind of masonite /wood product that will deteriorate easily over time.
  • Urbandialect
    Options
    yes there is something that you are doing wrong, you are not using any type of encapsulation and I'm assuming that backerboard is some kind of masonite /wood product that will deteriorate easily over time.

Yes on the not using encapsulation and Yes on the backer board over time deteriorating, the encapsulation resin is expensive, if i start using the slygaurd that will add another $40 + to the cost, however, I do plan on switching backer boards to the bathroom flooring sheets for $34.00. Same thing as the backer boad, but instead of one side being water proof, both sides are water proof.

I plan on building my master piece, i got a piece of glass that is 24" x 94" and 1/3 inches thick for $10 off craigslist. I will use some kind of ecapsulation on this one. I already have an ideal of how to do it, each cell will have a bead of silicone around it and i plan to pour the encapsulating resin inside the bead around the cell.. the bead of silicone is too make sure the slygaurd doesn't run and stays in and around the each cell instead of running off all over the glass.
  • rollandelliott
    Options

"Some people won't take facts for an answer"

That's because there were no facts presented that give any specific reasons why DIY panels made with the same materials commercial panels are made of will fail.

Exactly what would cause a DIY panel made out of glass , cells and sylgard to fail in 3 to 5 or 10 years when a commercial panel made with the same materials is proved over 25 years to work fine? Dust was mentioned, but I don't think that will effect it.

you can also make panels out of Glass/eva/cells/eva/tedlar just like most panels are made today, there are various videos on youtube that show one how, but most DIY'ers use liquid encapsulants because it is cheaper if you are going to do just one or two panels, and as mentioined before that is all DIY is good for any ways, any high volume would be best served by pre manufactured.
  • rollandelliott
    Options
    if i start using the slygaurd that will add another $40 + to the cost, however, I do plan on switching backer boards to the bathroom flooring sheets for $34.00.

you can get various solar encapsulants off ebay for about half the price of sylgard.
    you don't need a backerboard
    save the money you'll spend on an ineffective back board on solar encapsulants that actually work.
  • Urbandialect
    Options
    you can get various solar encapsulants off ebay for about half the price of sylgard.
    you don't need a backerboard
    save the money you'll spend on an ineffective back board on solar encapsulants that actually work.

wait? are you saying that if i encapsulate it str8 to the glass i won't need a backer board and the encapsulating resin will work as the backer board?

If this is true, then I won't need the C channel/ U channel to put around it, wait yes I will… I still need something to ground it off of, with no backer board the C channel won’t work, I’ll need the L channel.
  • rss2q
    rss2q Solar Expert Posts: 75 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I too have to agree that now I prefer to just buy my solar panels instead of building them.

I unlike some here actually built a (large) solar panel, and made a YouTube video/s showing you how to create one. I've actually experienced the problems you can run into, instead of just reading and assuming why one is better than the other.

I buy all my panels now from UL-Solar and when you add up all the costs and energy/time to build a DIY panel and compare it to a professional made panel, the decision about which route to go is effortless. The one mistake I made while doing my DIY panel was not encapsulating the cells, but even so, the time and energy spent building the darn thing just isn't worth it. The time and effort to buy the parts, solder the cells together, build the frame, apply the silicone, apply the glass, connect the junction box, install the wires, inspect your voltage/amperage time after time throughout the process is just not worth it in my opinion when you can buy a ready to go solar panel for an affordable price. Unless you just enjoy putting all that energy and time into building solar panels, then by all means go right ahead :D

I agree with some that you may save a little money in some cases if you build the solar panel correctly, however, you're likely only going to save a few bucks such as $10 or $20, not a few hundred, and most are going to spend a lot more to build the panel themselves and what's worse, the panel will not last as long and not have a warranty.

Just my two cents and opinion/recommendation from personal experience :p
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Hmm. Using flammable products to build solar panels that are capable of high temps from current flow and sustainable arcs from Voltage level. What's wrong with this picture? Oh yes; the title of the thread!

Yep. Washing my hands of this one. The warnings have been given. The facts proven. The evidence displayed. Nothing more can be done beyond that. :roll:
  • rollandelliott
    Options

Everyone knows commercial made panels have created fires too, seems like cherry picking facts instead of addressing why two panels made from the same materials would differ in performance was not addressed.

the two people that replied to this thread trying to dIY are not even using an encapsulant, of course their panels are doomed to be poor performers, but

that's not my point, you can make them correctly and they will last and be cheaper if you are doing the smaller panels less than 100w.