Used electric car batteries for home use, it's coming.

waynefromnscanada
waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
Nissan says it's Leaf batteries are expected to still have 80% life left after car is warn out and scrapped. Nissan is looking at off grid home use for those batteries:
http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Business/1252994.html

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Used electric car batteries for home use, it's coming.
    Nissan says it's Leaf batteries are expected to still have 80% life left after car is warn out and scrapped. Nissan is looking at off grid home use for those batteries:
    http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Business/1252994.html

Maybe they should build better cars that don't wear out so quickly. :p
  • waynefromnscanada
    Maybe they should build better cars that don't wear out so quickly. :p

Hahaha Good point, but from the other point of view, I'm amazed that it appears battery technology has progressed to the point where batteries may now outlast the cars they're in. When did this happen? Have I been asleep?
  • Cariboocoot
    Hahaha Good point, but from the other point of view, I'm amazed that it appears battery technology has progressed to the point where batteries may now outlast the cars they're in. When did this happen? Have I been asleep?

No, you've just been buying good cars. :D
  • waynefromnscanada
    No, you've just been buying good cars. :D

Haha It appears then, that I'm very blessed to drive Toyota, even if I did have to install a MASTER KILL switch on the dash. :p:p:p
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    70%

There are many documented cases of Toyota Prius' in taxi service going over 500,000 kms on the original battery. Remember, traction battery management is way better than simple alternator management of a FLA starting battery. In the Prius for example, the battery never discharges below ~ 50% nor charges more than ~70%, keeping the battery in the sweet spot of SoC for a great number of cycles.

T
  • waynefromnscanada

Thanks for the info icarus! Obviously I haven't been paying attention to automotive battery advancements, and assumed the batteries would have to be replaced at least as often as conventional lead/acid batteries. Living in my own little world in the back woods sometimes breeds ignorance. :p:blush:
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭

I don't think this is such a great idea.

It's already known that grid based systems are more economical than off grid battery based ones.

I agree, they should build the car better so it lasts longer, that would be the wisest thing to do instead of trying to re purpose the batteries.
  • waynefromnscanada
    It's already known that grid based systems are more economical than off grid battery based ones.

True, but there are those of us who for our own reasons, desire to be, or have to be off grid because of location or desire to feel independent and self sufficient. To some people, economics aren't the main driving force. Where I live, if we get a terrible winter storm (it does happen) that shuts everything down for days, it will really mean nothing to me as far as comfort and survivability is concerned. I'm totally self sufficient. Period. For all I know the grid power may be off now, I'd have to look out across the hills to see if I can see any street lights in the distance :p
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

from WIKI:
    The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency official range is 117 kilometres (73 mi), with an energy consumption of 765 kJ/km (34 kWh per 100 miles)

therefore there are ~ 24.8 Kwh in the battery
    x 80% = 19.86 Kwh per set...
    / 24 V (nominal) = ~ 827.5Ah in the battery which should run an average house quite well.

Charging from Solar might be an issue

a potential source of reasonable battery banks that you can drive to the door...

I'm interested.

EJ

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • waynefromnscanada
    westbranch wrote: »

Charging from Solar might be an issue

That's what the car manufacturer (in the original link) is now working on, a solar charging system for the actual car, with technology that could be adapted for home use. Very interesting indeed.
  • Cariboocoot

One day you may need it. Imagine a time when each household is allotted "X" kW hours per day and fed that power with a limit on the maximum Watts. Draw more; you get choked off. Exceed the limit; you get cut off. Your own personal world of brown-outs and black-outs. This would really help regulated loads on the grid.

You'll need your batteries and inverter then; something like the Xantrex with its load-sharing ability. Together they'd smooth out your demands on the grid on a house-by-house basis.

Goes together with the entirely independent industrial grid.

Now, am I joking? You decide. ;)
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    ... power with a limit on the maximum Watts. Draw more; you get choked off. Exceed the limit; you get cut off. Your own personal world of brown-outs and black-outs. .......
    Now, am I joking? You decide. ;)

Shades off the SMART METER!:cry::cry:

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada