Solar Panel, MP3 Player, Powered Speakers - Please Help :)

Options
rody084
rody084 Registered Users Posts: 7
Hello Everyone,

I am a huge fan of electronics, but remain a novice at the actual science behind it.

I have set up an outdoor sound system on an old army truck as part of an art exhibition. Basically, there is a solar panel which feeds into a storage battery which then goes to a DC timer that controls both an MP3 player and a set of speakers.

There is no AC power outlets available in the area and the old army truck (from the 50s) doesn't have its own battery or capability of running, so this system has to be completely stand-alone.

Here are the components which have been installed:
Solar Panel (12-18v / 30W / 1.67amp max rated): http://www.batterystuff.com/solar-chargers/11-watts-up/BSP3012.html

Battery (12v Sealed 7.5Ah): http://www.powerwerx.com/batteries-chargers/sealed-lead-acid-absorbent-glass-mat-battery.html

Charge Controller (4.5A / 12v): http://www.altestore.com/store/Charge-Controllers/Solar-Charge-Controllers/PWM-Type-Solar-Charge-Controllers/Morningstar-Charge-Controllers-PWM/Morningstar-SunGuard-45A-12V-PWM-Charge-Controller/p793/

DC Timer: http://www.altestore.com/store/Enclosures-Electrical-Safety/Miscellaneous-Electrical-Parts/Switches/Timers/FlexCharge-Digital-DC-Timer/p2342/

MP3 Player (Sansa): http://sandisk.com/products/sansa-music-and-video-players/sandisk-sansa-clipplus-mp3-player

Speakers (Insignia): From BestBuy, I actually cannot find the link now, but they are AC powered so I had to put in an inverter. I believe they are rated to draw 7w RMS.

Rough Diagram:
SOLAR --> MORNING STAR CONTROLLER --> DC TIMER --> BATTERY
Then from the battery, there are two parallel paths:
1. BATTERY --> INVERTER -->SPEAKERS
2. BATTERY --> CAR SOCKET --> USB ADAPTER --> MP3 Player

The system runs great when the battery has a full charge. It is currently nice and sunny these days so we get a decent amount of sun (for what we get here in the San Francisco Bay Area).

The timer is set for 10 hours of operation during daytime hours.

The system stops working after about 24-48 hours.

Last time I was out there, the following were the readings I was getting with my multimeter:
Battery Voltage: 11.8v (this was after I charged the battery using my car for a couple of minutes)
Solar Panel Voltage: 13-17v (dropped as the day went on)
Solar Panel Current: 0.16amps
System Draw: 0.3 – 0.5amps (with everything on and the MP3 player charging itself as well). This fluctuated depending on the bass notes of the music.

Again, I am new to the science behind electronics, so I am not sure how exactly I am to calculate amp-hours from what I read on my meter. After extensive Google-searching, I remain confused as to whether I need to multiply my reading by 3,600 seconds (which would mean my little system is drawing 1,800amps…hmmm…) or if the reading I see IS the amp-hours, or if I am just really in way over my head! :)

Some conclusions I have been able to make on my own thus far:
1. The solar panel is not getting enough light (given that it is rated for 1.67amps and is only giving me 0.16 with sunny skies). I plan to angle it more horizontally and see if I can find a better exposure
2. The inverter is not a great way to go since it must cause a certain degree of inefficiency in the system
3. The MorningStar controller does NOT charge the battery if battery voltage has dropped below 8v (according to the manufacturer). Thus, when the battery discharges below 8v, the system never charges again until I come over with my car.
4. The battery is undersized given the fact that there is more draw than input into the system.
5. I am considering upgrading the battery, but know this will only postpone the inevitable. I also am not sure what the best type of battery would be (given that it is not somewhere that it can be maintained with much frequency). I was looking at Optima Yellow-Top batteries so far.
6. I have ordered smaller draw speakers to help the problem: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027JLIVM
7. I am in a bit over my head!

Sorry for the long post, but I would love to be able to get this art installation functional for more than 24-48 hours at a time since I can only go over there every 2 weeks or so to give it a boost.

Thank you for reading through this. I would greatly appreciate any advice on what components I may need to upgrade/change/add in order to get this to be functional for at least a period of 2 weeks. I conceivably COULD come over every 2 weeks to give a quick recharge with my car if necessary, but would much rather have it all operate on its own (my using gas to charge it also defeats the whole environmentally-friendly solar aspect of the art piece).

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!!

Rody

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Solar Panel, MP3 Player, Powered Speakers - Please Help :)
    rody084 wrote: »
    Here are the components which have been installed:
    Solar Panel (12-18v / 30W / 1.67amp max rated):
    Battery (12v Sealed 7.5Ah):
    Charge Controller (4.5A / 12v): http://www.altestore.com/store/Charge-Controllers/Solar-Charge-Controllers/PWM-Type-Solar-Charge-Controllers/Morningstar-Charge-Controllers-PWM/Morningstar-SunGuard-45A-12V-PWM-Charge-Controller/p793/
    DC Timer:
    MP3 Player (Sansa):
    Speakers (Insignia):

Rough Diagram:
    SOLAR --> MORNING STAR CONTROLLER --> DC TIMER --> BATTERY
    Then from the battery, there are two parallel paths:
    1. BATTERY --> INVERTER -->SPEAKERS
    2. BATTERY --> CAR SOCKET --> USB ADAPTER --> MP3 Player

The system runs great when the battery has a full charge. It is currently nice and sunny these days so we get a decent amount of sun (for what we get here in the San Francisco Bay Area).

The timer is set for 10 hours of operation during daytime hours.

The system stops working after about 24-48 hours.

Last time I was out there, the following were the readings I was getting with my multimeter:
    Battery Voltage: 11.8v (this was after I charged the battery using my car for a couple of minutes)
    Solar Panel Voltage: 13-17v (dropped as the day went on)
    Solar Panel Current: 0.16amps
    System Draw: 0.3 – 0.5amps (with everything on and the MP3 player charging itself as well). This fluctuated depending on the bass notes of the music.
    You should avoid trying to take the battery below ~12.1 volts (50% state of charge) and never below ~11.6 volts (20% state of charge) when measured after the battery has rested ~3 hour or more (no charging and no discharging current).

You can read about batteries here:
    Deep Cycle Battery FAQ
    www.batteryfaq.org

I am not sure about your solar panel current... You should be 1.6 amps (Imp) in full sun with a severely discharged battery.

Basically, if you draw:
    • 0.5 amps * 10 hours = 5 Amp*Hours used...
    And you should plan on replacing around 1.1-1.2x current back:
    • 5 AH used * 1.15 recharge * 1/4 hours of sun = 1.44 amp panel
    So--you are close to breaking even with a good sunny day... Why is solar charging current so low.
    Again, I am new to the science behind electronics, so I am not sure how exactly I am to calculate amp-hours from what I read on my meter. After extensive Google-searching, I remain confused as to whether I need to multiply my reading by 3,600 seconds (which would mean my little system is drawing 1,800amps…hmmm…) or if the reading I see IS the amp-hours, or if I am just really in way over my head! :)

The real SI units of power are Watt*Seconds... But that is a really small unit of measure... So the power companies (and everyone else now) uses a non-scientific unit called the Watt*Hour... I.e., running a 40 watt light for 6 hours = 240 Watt*Hours...

If you where going to convert into real SI units--You would need to convert for
    • 1 Watt * 60 seconds per minutes * 60 minutes per hour = 3,600 Watt*Seconds
    Some conclusions I have been able to make on my own thus far:
    1. The solar panel is not getting enough light (given that it is rated for 1.67amps and is only giving me 0.16 with sunny skies). I plan to angle it more horizontally and see if I can find a better exposure
    Noontime sun, pointing at sun, it should output around 80-100% of its rated currrent (withing 10 degrees of sun, cosine 10 degrees = 0.98x
    2. The inverter is not a great way to go since it must cause a certain degree of inefficiency in the system
    Yes, inverters are around 85% efficient when loaded 1/2 way... But, they take a few watts (or more for larger inverters) even if they have no load but are powered up...
    3. The MorningStar controller does NOT charge the battery if battery voltage has dropped below 8v (according to the manufacturer). Thus, when the battery discharges below 8v, the system never charges again until I come over with my car.
    Yes, you do not want to discharge a battery (no load) below ~11.6 volts or so--taking a battery lower can ruin it in no time.
    4. The battery is undersized given the fact that there is more draw than input into the system.
    It is small--but that is not your problem at the moment--You need to figure out why it is not being charged.
    5. I am considering upgrading the battery, but know this will only postpone the inevitable. I also am not sure what the best type of battery would be (given that it is not somewhere that it can be maintained with much frequency). I was looking at Optima Yellow-Top batteries so far.
    Wait until you better understand your system and get it running well. It is easy to kill batteries with "deficit charging" (taking more current from the battery than you return over time).

A larger battery will not fix anything for you right now (and will just cost you extra money).
    Sorry for the long post, but I would love to be able to get this art installation functional for more than 24-48 hours at a time since I can only go over there every 2 weeks or so to give it a boost.
    Unattended operation is acutually quite difficult for solar power systems. It takes a bit of more expensive hardware (such as a battery monitor) to turn of the system on dark days (to protect the battery).
    Thank you for reading through this. I would greatly appreciate any advice on what components I may need to upgrade/change/add in order to get this to be functional for at least a period of 2 weeks. I conceivably COULD come over every 2 weeks to give a quick recharge with my car if necessary, but would much rather have it all operate on its own (my using gas to charge it also defeats the whole environmentally-friendly solar aspect of the art piece).

Your first step is to find out what is going on with your charging system...

Note that solar panels need to be at Vmp (voltage maximum power) or less to deliver rated current Imp (Current maximum power).

Solar panels are easy to damage--connect one backwards to the battery bank, and they are destroyed.

Also, using a Digital Multi-Meter incorrectly can give you "false" readings (wrong scale, bad battery, damaged meter, leads plugged in wrong, etc.).

So--First, set your meter to 10 amps full scale and plug the leads in for measuring 10 amps. (Note: do not connect an "amp meter" directly across a battery +/- leads--the battery will fry the meter and cause lots of pretty sparks).

Connect to the solar panel in full sun (roughly 10am-2pm) and connect the meter (in current mode) to the panel and see what it reads... Ideally it will read Isc (current short circuit) which is a bit higher than Imp. If not--panel is probably bad.

Next, set the meter to 20 or 200 volt DC scale and measure the panel open circuit voltage... Should be around 20-22 volts Voc. Again, low open circuit voltage will indicate a bad panel (note, solar panels are not usually easy to fix anything other than a bad diode).

I will stop here--but we can go on when you are ready.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

don't they have car stereos that can accommodate mp3 players? it'll be all dc..
  • rody084
    Options

Dear Bill,

THANK YOU for your incredibly thorough response and for putting so much time and effort forth in assisting me with this project (and my education on this topic!). You bring up excellent points and I really appreciate your breaking down my next steps. Next time I am able to visit the system, I am going to un-mount the panel and try to re-position it. However, I do need to have a plan in place for the winter where there may be days that there is insufficient sunlight to provide enough (or any) charge.
    BB. wrote: »
    You should avoid trying to take the battery below ~12.1 volts (50% state of charge) and never below ~11.6 volts (20% state of charge) when measured after the battery has rested ~3 hour or more (no charging and no discharging current).

I cannot recall seeing a reading higher than 12.1v on the battery, even when it was new. Also, now when I charge it with my car, I might get up to about 12.8v or so and then it pretty quickly drops down to 11.9-12v (even just being unplugged). Should the battery be reading 12.7v when fully charged? (so far, I’ve only had a chance to skim the FAQ page you sent)

I am not sure about your solar panel current... You should be 1.6 amps (Imp) in full sun with a severely discharged battery.

Now that I think about it, when I tested the current coming from the solar panel, I tested between the panel controller and the timer by taking the meter from a connection point just before the Sunguard controller and putting the other lead at the timer (along the same pole). However, I did not disconnect the wires since whenever I do (and the controller does not detect the presence of a battery) the controller does not send a charge through.

The real SI units of power are Watt*Seconds... But that is a really small unit of measure... So the power companies (and everyone else now) uses a non-scientific unit called the Watt*Hour... I.e., running a 40 watt light for 6 hours = 240 Watt*Hours...

I feel like I must be missing something obvious here, but could you help me understand how the reading on my meter translates into AH? My meter read around 0.5amps of current being drawn by the system… does that mean it is 0.5AH? Or am I seeing an amp/second?

It seems like it can’t be amp per second since my math would put me at a draw of 1,800 amp-hours. Sorry to be dense on this topic!

Noontime sun, pointing at sun, it should output around 80-100% of its rated currrent (withing 10 degrees of sun, cosine 10 degrees = 0.98x

Once I get the panel unmounted, I will try taking more readings to see if I get closer to this. I am beginning to suspect that I am using my multimeter incorrectly (or at least placing it incorrectly)

Yes, inverters are around 85% efficient when loaded 1/2 way... But, they take a few watts (or more for larger inverters) even if they have no load but are powered up...

Inverter is going to go away! 

A larger battery will not fix anything for you right now (and will just cost you extra money).

Great point. I see now how I can ruin several hundreds of dollars in batteries while I figure this out.

Unattended operation is acutually quite difficult for solar power systems. It takes a bit of more expensive hardware (such as a battery monitor) to turn of the system on dark days (to protect the battery).

In this case, it seems like I should set up the system to have enough reserve battery to operate for some dark days without bringing it below safe battery levels. I won’t be able to set up a battery monitor nor go over there too frequently to check levels so perhaps I need to figure this into the sizing of the battery(s) What are your thoughts?

Note that solar panels need to be at Vmp (voltage maximum power) or less to deliver rated current Imp (Current maximum power).

Would Vmp in this case be 18v (which is the top end of what the panel is rated to deliver)? How does this differ from Voc which you mention further below?

Connect to the solar panel in full sun (roughly 10am-2pm) and connect the meter (in current mode) to the panel and see what it reads... Ideally it will read Isc (current short circuit) which is a bit higher than Imp. If not--panel is probably bad.

Fortunately, my meter is brand-new and I DID set it to 10amps.
    Did the way I previously describe sound correct in order to obtain an accurate reading (measuring from the cable connection between the panel and the controller to the timer (after the controller)? I did not disconnect the wires… should the meter be bridging (ie: be in-line) between two points rather than along-side connected wires?

Next, set the meter to 20 or 200 volt DC scale and measure the panel open circuit voltage... Should be around 20-22 volts Voc. Again, low open circuit voltage will indicate a bad panel (note, solar panels are not usually easy to fix anything other than a bad diode).

Should the panel be reading 20-22v even though the specs rate it for a maximum of 18v output?
  • rody084
    Options
    niel wrote: »
    don't they have car stereos that can accommodate mp3 players? it'll be all dc..

Niel,

Yes, there are, and thank you for this thought. I had explored this idea, but wanted to keep the system as lean as possible (and as inexpensive as possible) so opted against this. The inverter-powered speakers were actually a last-moment desperate move when a few hours before the initial opening, the speakers I thought I had re-wired to 12v caused some kind of short-circuit in the system and all I could find locally were AC powered speakers.

I believe I have found suitable DC (USB) powered speakers to replace the Inverter+AC-speakers that are in there now.

Again, thank you for the idea!

Rody
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Next time I am able to visit the system, I am going to un-mount the panel and try to re-position it. However, I do need to have a plan in place for the winter where there may be days that there is insufficient sunlight to provide enough (or any) charge.

Best average power, point the panels due south (if you have a compas, read up on magnetic declination--For San Fansisco CA, basically point the compass to magnetic north and subtract 15 degrees from 180 = ~165 degrees magnetic). And tilt the panels to ~38 degrees from Horizontal. It will not matter much if you are off by 10 degrees or even a bit more.
    I cannot recall seeing a reading higher than 12.1v on the battery, even when it was new. Also, now when I charge it with my car, I might get up to about 12.8v or so and then it pretty quickly drops down to 11.9-12v (even just being unplugged). Should the battery be reading 12.7v when fully charged? (so far, I’ve only had a chance to skim the FAQ page you sent)

The battery should be charged to a maximum of ~14.2-14.5 volts and held there for ~2 hours or so... Once you remove the charger and let the battery rest for 2-3+ hours, you should read ~12.7 volts for full charge (resting voltage).
    Now that I think about it, when I tested the current coming from the solar panel, I tested between the panel controller and the timer by taking the meter from a connection point just before the Sunguard controller and putting the other lead at the timer (along the same pole). However, I did not disconnect the wires since whenever I do (and the controller does not detect the presence of a battery) the controller does not send a charge through.
    Not quite sure I follow your connections (ain't word pictures grand:roll:).

But, start from the beginning. The Battery is the heart of your system.
    1. Connect battery to your loads. Get working
    2. Connect battery to your timer, then reconnect + from your load to + on your timer--get working (I am guessing here--but this is the basics).
    3. Connect your charge controller to the battery bank.
    4. Connect your solar panels to your charge controller.
    I feel like I must be missing something obvious here, but could you help me understand how the reading on my meter translates into AH? My meter read around 0.5amps of current being drawn by the system… does that mean it is 0.5AH? Or am I seeing an amp/second?
    You are used to seeing things like Miles per Hour, Gallons Per minute, etc...

Turns out that Amps is a RATE too.
    • In practical terms, the ampere is a measure of the amount of electric charge passing a point in an electric circuit per unit time with 6.241 × 1018 electrons, or one coulomb per second constituting one ampere
    So, where we would say 50 Miles per Hour x 5 Hours = 250 Miles driven...

Here we simply take Amperes and Multiply by Time (Hours in this case). 2.5 Amperes * 2 Hours of operation = 5 Amp*Hours.

Watts is also known as Joules per Second (i.e., it is already a rate like MPH is).

Make sense?
    Once I get the panel unmounted, I will try taking more readings to see if I get closer to this. I am beginning to suspect that I am using my multimeter incorrectly (or at least placing it incorrectly)
    Very possible... Meter may be connected wrong, set wrong, or the rest of the circuitry is not right yet (charge controller to battery).

Some more reading:

Multimeter Tutorial
    Electricity for Boaters - BoatSafe.com
    In this case, it seems like I should set up the system to have enough reserve battery to operate for some dark days without bringing it below safe battery levels. I won’t be able to set up a battery monitor nor go over there too frequently to check levels so perhaps I need to figure this into the sizing of the battery(s) What are your thoughts?

We can discuss this more--But I would suggest you get this running correctly first and you understand all of its aspects (battery, loads, timer, charge controller, solar panels, etc.).

Also, if you are going to be working on small DC systems like this, a DC Amp*Hour/Watt*Hour meter may be real handy for you.
    Would Vmp in this case be 18v (which is the top end of what the panel is rated to deliver)? How does this differ from Voc which you mention further below?
    People think of Solar Panels as being a "Solar Battery"... Solar panels are actually not batteries--But a current source instead...

More or less, a solar panel will output 1.67 amps under noon time sun from zero to 17.5 volts (Vmp)... That is the constant current part of the solar panel (note, the 1.67 amps is proportional to the strength of the sunlight hitting the panel).

From Vmp to Voc (voltage open circuit), the current drops from 1.67 amps to zero amps (open circuit voltage).
    Fortunately, my meter is brand-new and I DID set it to 10amps.
    Did the way I previously describe sound correct in order to obtain an accurate reading (measuring from the cable connection between the panel and the controller to the timer (after the controller)? I did not disconnect the wires… should the meter be bridging (ie: be in-line) between two points rather than along-side connected wires?

If you will be working with DC current a lot--Another meter to think about (also ~$60 for this "cheap" one) is a DC Current Clamp Meter... Instead of having to connect leads to measure current--you just clip the meter around one of the wires. Note AC only clamp meters cannot measure DC current.
    Should the panel be reading 20-22v even though the specs rate it for a maximum of 18v output?
    If the panel has any weak sun (or brighter on it), and there are no loads, it will read around 20-22 volts--And that is because there is no current flow.

If the charge controller were charging the battery bank (i.e., very low battery state of charge)--you will be reading somewhere around Vbatt (i.e., around 12-15 volts) when the charge controller is sending current to your battery. Once the battery is "full", the voltage will pop back up to 20-22 volts for the solar panel.

Got to go now and cook for the family. Talk later.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options

You are seeing 0.5 Amps, which is an instantaneous value with no time component. It is a flow rate, whereas Amp-hours or Amp-seconds is a quantity rather than a rate measurement. 0.5 Amps flowing for one hour is 0.5 Amp-hour.

It is analagous to speed and distance traveled; 50 mph is an instantaneous rate measurement (like Amps), whereas traveling 50 mph for an hour gets you 50 miles down the road (like Amp-hours).
  • rody084
    Options

Bill,

THANK YOU again for another thorough response. Makes much more sense now! I'm going to be out there again on Wednesday morning and will post my findings and progress.

Again, I really appreciate your help with this!

Rody
  • rody084
    Options

ggunn,

Thank you for your post. Between your explanation and Bill's I think I finally understand what I am seeing on the meter and how it relates to amp-hours! Your analogy was very helpful!
  • Seven
    Seven Solar Expert Posts: 292 ✭✭
    Options

I have a couple of questions pertaining to the setup you have.
    Are you playing music or a voice presentation loop?
    How far are the speakers from the audience?
    What volume are you at?
    Does the system need to play constantly, or could you put a motion sensor on it for localized usage?
    How long does the system need to be functional? Weeks? Months? Years?
    Are there any days it doesn't get used?

The guys that have already replied so far have more solar knowledge then I will ever have, but I may be able to help with the audio part.
  • rody084
    Options

Good News (in form of improvement)!!

I went back out there today and mounted the solar panel on brackets so that it is facing mostly due-south and is at 38degrees from horizontal.

The first thing I did was charge the battery for two hours using a portable battery charger that I was able to plug-in nearby (http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=VAN_74-9120). I charged it for two hours and the battery read 13v after charging.

It was an overcast and misty day today, and at around 11:00am, I was getting the following readings from my multi-meter:

Solar Panel:
    18.9v measured at the solar panel leads (before the controller and timer)
    13.52v system voltage (photo below)
    0.67 amps (measured at solar panel leads)

Battery:
    12.96v (when disconnected from the system)

System:
    0.2amps average draw (with the volume at a low enough level that will still work for its purpose)
    -20dB (audio as measured with my phone using the "Tricorder" app)

At 11:45am, my readings were as follow:
    Solar Panel:
    16.7v measured at the solar panel leads (before the controller and timer)
    13.16v system voltage (measured at the battery while solar panel would be sending charge)
    0.91 amps (measured at solar panel leads)

Battery:
    13.36v (when disconnected from the system)

System:
    0.2amps average draw (with the volume at a low enough level that will still work for its purpose)
    -20dB (audio as measured with my phone using the "Tricorder" app)

So it seems now that the panel is providing more current than the system is drawing (before, the panel was only giving 0.16amps), so I am hoping that the system will not discharge the battery since it is set to only run during daytime hours (9-8pm right now).

Here is a picture of the set-up which shows all the components (the yellow and black wires at the top right are the input from the solar panel).

IMG_20110713_105222.jpg

Further, I plan to change the speakers and eliminate the inverter. The speakers currently in there are rated at 7watts (plus the inverter draw) and the new speakers are rated at 2watts (http://www.amazon.com/HP-NN109AA-ABA-Mini-Speakers/dp/B0027JLIVM). I just received these and tried them and I am blown away at how much sound these little speakers give out.

I am hoping that changing the speakers will bring my draw down below 0.2amps. If the panel is giving out 0.6-0.9amps at this peak hour during an over-cast day, I hope it will now be able to consistently provide at least 0.2amps throughout daytime hours and not drain the battery again.

Bill, before I get ahead of myself in thinking this is resolved, what do you think should be my next steps? I plan to stop by on Saturday and take readings (and hopefully everything is still working).

Seven:
    The system is playing music from the 1940s & 1950s.
    The speakers are inside a truck and the sound travels outward through the side-vents.
    My phone reads -20dB of sound volume inside the truck (I forgot to measure it outside)
    The speakers are on a timer that have them play everyday from 9am - 8pm
    I am hoping that the change to these new speakers (which I highly recommend by the way), will resolve the lack of balance between charge and draw in the system.

In terms of sound, I think the system gives out enough sound and after much research we were able to find components that would play while plugged in (or charging).

Thank you again to everyone for all your help and your thoughts on how to make this work!
  • rody084
    Options

I just wanted to report back that the system has been working beautifully! The issue was just about the angle of the solar panel.

Thank you again for your incredible help!!!