Battery Charging Float Step

Options
System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
Is it OK to partially cover a battery-charging solar panel in order to limit the current being supplied and thus simulate the "float step" of a "smart charger"?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,440 admin
    Options
    Re: Battery Charging Float Step

It should not hurt anything (a poorly made solar panel may be damaged).

But if you want to not go into float--we should look at the charge controllers and its settings. Playing with the solar panels should not be required.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

covering a pv will not put it into or simulate the float stage. the cc will attempt to complete it stages of charging and a covering will just interrupt that process.

why are you trying to simulate or go to the float stage?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

I will hazard a guess that there is no charge controller and he's trying to reduce PV output by other means so it won't fry the battery.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I will hazard a guess that there is no charge controller and he's trying to reduce PV output by other means so it won't fry the battery.

if that's the case it can be done with allot of vigilance, but sooner or later you'll goof up and damage the batteries or at least deplete it of some of its useful lifespan. it is too difficult to babysit the batteries and shift things for constantly changing cloud-cover. some sort of regulation needs to be there on an automatic basis and that is best done electronically.
  • bsolar
    bsolar Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    Options

another angle of looking at it is if there is enough bank - panel ratio a single panel would never go 'or be very slow to go' above the float level ... that is basically the manual charge scheme of my system and i can switch 2-3 panels on anytime and pretty much let it eat to give the cells their daily float job in a no-load no-charge situation :p in peak sun i check in on them .. its pretty easy to keep them in the 13.65-13.80 range ..

.. so personally i could deduce from this that if i wanted to limit the max a panel would lift voltage i could do it by loading it .. a good variable way to do a smaller setup like single panel? so that a sweet spot could be found that would hold the 'quick rise' to within a reasonably controllable parameter (voltage would still rise at that point but much slower) would be something like a high power 10W or so LED on a dimmer .. you could dial that baby right in.

.. sorry for the big words surrounding a non-mainstream idea heheh .. i do the manual charge control thing though:roll: suffice it to say you dont take a nap while the system is on ..
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Well if you've nothing better to do with your time then watch the system ...
    Most of us use these amazing devices called "charge controllers". They may cost money, but not as much as destroying a set of batteries and having to clean up the mess. To say nothing of being without power.
    Even an inexpensive controller is better than no controller at all.
  • bsolar
    bsolar Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Well if you've nothing better to do with your time then watch the system ...
    Most of us use these amazing devices called "charge controllers". They may cost money, but not as much as destroying a set of batteries and having to clean up the mess. To say nothing of being without power.
    Even an inexpensive controller is better than no controller at all.

lol, i get that idea .. my system is more of a standby/backup power system for loss of grid power so it comes down to mainly maintenance charging. If i turn it on and run something it turns into balancing the load with the number of panels switched on or keeping an eye on it in the morning to recharge which doesnt take long ..

.. anyway i would love a cheap suggestion on a charge controller(s) to run the combined output of my panels .. theres 12 panels @approx 150W each, its a 12V bank, 12V inverter .. total output is ~80-90 amps out of my combiner box into 1/0 cables (they get warm under full charge conditions) i really dont want to rewire or change hardware ... what are my options?