Re-glassing a broken panel?

Options
CVN-71
CVN-71 Solar Expert Posts: 54 ✭✭
Ok, I have a 210w panel that the glass was broken by heavy snow. Panel still works great. I'd like to use it for something, RV, whatever, but would like to repair it to prevent water damage. Has anyone replaced broken glass on their panels? I was thinking I could remove the broken glass then silicon some new safety glass over the panel. Any other ideas?

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Re-glassing a broken panel?

People have tried various ways of repairing such panels, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anything that can reasonable be done to make a lasting repair. There are to many problems that have to be overcome. Wish I had better news :cry:
    By the way, here in Nova Scotia, I get best overall results with my panels mounted vertically during Winter. The sun is very low in the Southern sky, so the vertical mount hands the panels both direct sunlight, AND light reflected off the snow. On top of that, snow doesn't normally collect on vertical surfaces.
  • Frxddy
    Frxddy Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You asked for any ideas..... how about putting new glass over the broken glass? I really have no experience here, i just pictured in my head that removing the broken glass would ruin the cells, so, leave the broken glass right where it is, lay a bead of clear silicone on top of the aluminum frame and lay a new glass on. Might work for a while!
  • CVN-71
    CVN-71 Solar Expert Posts: 54 ✭✭
    Options
    Frxddy wrote: »
    You asked for any ideas..... how about putting new glass over the broken glass? I really have no experience here, i just pictured in my head that removing the broken glass would ruin the cells, so, leave the broken glass right where it is, lay a bead of clear silicone on top of the aluminum frame and lay a new glass on. Might work for a while!
    Yea that's what I was thinking too. But if I loosened the frame, can't I lift out and remove the broken glass sheet? Then silicone a new piece of glass over the cells.
  • bluewickedburner
    bluewickedburner Solar Expert Posts: 78 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just thought of something we used to do to repair motorcycle speedometers when the glass got cracked or the plastic lens yellowed.

We cut the glass very close to the edge of the housing leaving about 1/8" in place. On top of that we glued a replacement. Using some of that UV activated glue they use when repairing windshields you might be able to do that.
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
    Options

buy some solar encapsulatn off ebay like dow 6010 or sylgard,
    pour over entire panel and then place new sheet of glass on top, should last for 20 years
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options
    CVN-71 wrote: »
    Yea that's what I was thinking too. But if I loosened the frame, can't I lift out and remove the broken glass sheet? Then silicone a new piece of glass over the cells.
    I wouldn't do that. The silicon is pretty fragile.