Cheap Charger and Good Charge Controller ?

Options
tr0y
tr0y Solar Expert Posts: 99 ✭✭✭
Hi -

I was wondering if anyone has thought about adding a point to attach a charger ahead of the charge controller so that you could use an inexpensive charger to charge your batteries and let the controller manage how the power is sent into the batteries ?

Is this a bad idea ? I can isolate the attachment point via breakers, what am I forgetting here ?

Thoughts ?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Cheap Charger and Good Charge Controller ?
    tr0y wrote: »
    Hi -

I was wondering if anyone has thought about adding a point to attach a charger ahead of the charge controller so that you could use an inexpensive charger to charge your batteries and let the controller manage how the power is sent into the batteries ?

Is this a bad idea ? I can isolate the attachment point via breakers, what am I forgetting here ?

Thoughts ?

Not a bad idea as such, but it's one of those "it all depends" things.
    Most cheap chargers are regulated on a basis of Voltage. As such they don't put out steady current. Also they tend not to have very "clean" DC (half-rectified, as it were) with no filtering. Charge controllers won't like that (especially not MPPT type, although that would be a very expensive choice for this project anyway).
    Solar panels try to put out steady current. This is what the charge controller is expecting; it does the "Voltage managing" on its output.
    Now with the right battery charger (or power supply) and the right charge controller it could work.
    But possibly buying a decent charger in the first place might be more practical. A "for instance": http://www.solar-electric.com/pomaxrech.html
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options

Here is an example of "Stevek" who went through looking for their "ideal" ~1,000 watt AC battery charger (not cheap):

Question about battery charger selection with EU2000 generator

But, in the end--he was very happy.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have been using a DC Power Supply (Transformer, Bridge Rectifier, Filter caps) into an MX-60 for a number of years. This is a better approach for me, than running an inverter output genset into Xnatrex 5548 inverter-Chargers.

This particular supply can deliver 50 Amps DC, and works quite well. It IS important to have a significant amount of filter capacitance on the output. Something aproaching 100,000 uf, which reduces the ripple voltage, and keeps the CC happy.

YMMV, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.