Solar Power

System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
I first checked into solar energy wanting a power source for a water pump that would drive and aquaponics system (symbiotic system growing fish and plants). I found instructions for building DIY solar panels online and became more intrigued when some of the sources I saw said you could build a DIY system capable of supplying enough power to make your "meter run backwards". But, after a little more searching, I read that DIY systems wouldn't be approved for tying into the electrical grid and one must buy a commercial system in order to do this. Do different states have different rules? I live in SC.

Thanks for any input, and I'm glad I found this discussion board.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Solar Power

Different places have different rules. Although most power companies would arrest any GT system owner if they could--they see it as revenue stealing and put up road blocks to slow or stop people, depending on local laws.

However, see this thread why home made panels are never a good idea.

Panel Fire Question

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • bsolar
    bsolar Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

agreed, your not going to get a permit or approval for a homemade system, or if you do it will be very aggravating. I wouldnt try to do a grid tied system homemade. Something like you were mentioning for powering a pond pump or totally off grid application could work if you do things correctly. I built an off grid system, about 1800w with home made panels and its working quite well for several months so far .. you do have to watch how you construct panels, materials used and so-forth or they wont last and/or have sub par performance, and worst case be a fire hazzard and its very tedious to make a panel thats reliable and safe, i spent about 5 months putting together 12-150w panels but i did save quite a bit of money, approx 170/panel. .. but as said its not grid tied and i dont look at it as 'saving money on electric' myself .. i do however look at it like if power is ever out for whatever reason for an extended period of time my house will be the only one with power around here and my water system is set up to run on it and the only thing i would have to sacrifice is the ac ;)
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Thanks BB and bsolar for the input. I've e-mailed the SC Energy Office with my question. There seems to be quite a bit of equipment available for DIY solar applications so I'm hoping SC has an avenue for those of us who want to give it a try. I think I'll start just by powering my aquaponics setup while I look into all the hoops and hurdles in place for DIY solar in SC. I'm pretty sure I could builld good panels with what's available out there, but I definitely want to try my hand at a few smaller projects first.

Thanks again.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

As a starting point--"Legal" Grid Tied systems, I would suggest that around 3kW is the rough minimum (or "chunks") size that is "worth while" installing.

Just building permits and power company requirements make smaller systems, even do it your self, sort of a costly pain to install (takes as much time and paper work for a 200 watt micro inverter as it does for a 10kW system).

Also, the minimum branch circuit you can run is around 15-20 amps--so there is a lot of "infrastructure" required for that first connection--So, adding everything up to fill that minimum circuit is usually the most cost effective... Plus GT inverters that are smaller than ~3kW tend to be more expensive on a $$$/Watt basis (micro-inverters not included--however, they require a $350 communications controller to get data from the micro-inverters).

And building out an off-grid system does not save power costs at all (Off Grid systems tend to have pricing of $1-$2+ per kWH--or about 10x the cost of grid power).

You can learn from a small off grid system, and it may even be really nice for emergency use. But as an "investment"--not the best thing in the world.

We have a couple of well documented GT installs

Illustration of 8 KW (DC) GT Solar PV System Install for Residence in Urban Area
    Video of GT install

There is also a thread somewhere here by a poster who did a DIY install--but I cannot find it at the moment.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset