Opinion of KC130TM panels?

bluewickedburner
bluewickedburner Solar Expert Posts: 78 ✭✭✭✭
Anyone used the Kyocera KC130TM Panels? Can get them new in the box for $150 each, sealed and with sales receipt. I'm allowed to test first with buy if good agreement. They are an overstock from large install.

I was going to set them up as a second array with the other panels being 100 watters at 17.4 maximum power point and 5.7 amps.

They would be used for my portable setup.

Here are the specs:

Maximum Power: 130 watts
Tolerance: +10%/-5%
Maximum Power Voltage: 17.6 volts
Maximum Power Current: 7.39 amps
Open Circuit Voltage: 21.9 Voc
Short-circuit Current: 8.02 amps

Thermal parameters
Nominal Operating Cell Temperature: 47°C
Isc Current temperature coefficient: (3.18x10-3)A/°C
Voc Voltage temperature coefficient: (-8.21x10-2)V/°C

Max. System Voltage (12/24/48V Nominal): 600 volts
Series Over-current Protection: 15 amps
Minimum Conductor Size (Stranded): #10 AWG
Temperature Rating of Field Connection: 90°C
Nominal Operating Cell Temperature*: 47°C

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Opinion of KC130TM penals?

Panels should be fine. There was a run of 120 Watt panels back around 2000-2002 that had interconnect failures--that is about all I would look for (130+ watt panels are probably newer production).

-Bill

PS: From what I have read, Kyocera was very fair about warranty returns. So no concern there either.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • The Only Sarge
    The Only Sarge Solar Expert Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Opinion of KC130TM panels?

My Kyocera 135's are just fine. I'd love to buy about 4-6 of those.:blush:
  • James
    James Solar Expert Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hello,
    The KC130TM panels are what Kyocera exchanged for my suspect KC120 units.
    They have been working fine. You should be just fine.
    Any chance you can share your source (privately ok)???
    I could use more for my system also.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

as was said there's nothing wrong with those pvs, but it is an older model. just be sure your warranty starts when you buy them or i'd get them to lower the price even more as they are to be considered used if the warranty started earlier and the prices for new have fallen considerably in recent years. i guess that would depend on from who it is you are buying them from for a receipt from a place of business would be good for determining the start of the warranty with kyocera's approval being an outdated model, whereas an individual as a previous owner it most certainly started earlier with them. good pvs.
  • Dapdan
    Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭

Blue,

I bought 10 of those kc130tm back in Aug 2007. At the time they were the biggest 12V panel you could get and I paid about $450 for each. They have worked flawless for the past 4 years. Like the rest I would love to get some of them at that price. Count me in if there is any left. I have even made a pigtail to make them MC4 compliant so that I could connect them more easily.

I would definitely but them. You cant beat that price for sure. Let me know if there are any left so that interested members like myself could get some.

Cheers...
    Damani
  • JESSICA
    JESSICA Solar Expert Posts: 289 ✭✭

What are you waiting for? Go right now and buy all that you can at that price!
    I have 6 of them, I bought them 4 years ago. They are the only part of my system (and my mx60) that worked and still work better than what I expected.
    I paid $600 each!

At that price, I would gladly buy 10 of them, if, as you said, they are new and with full warranty.
  • damon
    damon Registered Users Posts: 11

I have had two of them for a year and a half, no problems whatsoever. And just like my two Kyrcoera 120's the actual output is a bit higher than the rated output.