Lock Tite? Never Seize?

Frxddy
Frxddy Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭✭✭
I just finished two days of roofing in the hot sun, so if this has been asked & answered please forgive me as I'm a bit brain dead.

I'll be using 3/8" stainless bolts to bolt an "L" bracket to the top of my aluminum post footing that is lag screwed to the roof. Should I use lock-tite or Never Seize, or neither? The bolt will be threading in about 1 1/8".

Thanks!

Comments

• SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Re: Lock Tite? Never Seize?

Never Seize!! Keeps the stainless bolt from seizing even while being installed.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Agreed with NeverSieze for SS to SS. But, I had wondered about LockTite thread-locker for the threaded stud on top of the UniRac foot that accepts the threaded AL standoff post. It may kinna lube the threads, and may help keep it tight, as it is a bit difficult to use a Torque Wrench on that post.

To make it simple, there are a number of Never-Sieze compounds, and a number from other companies, like LockTite.

Uni recommends LockTite Silver for this function, if that matters to anyone.

My UniRac install is about a week behind yours. Nice that it is now HOT and Summer!
    Have Fun, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭

I used IronRidge system, love it. Used Permatex Silver, available at any autoparts or hardware store. Had to use anti-sieze to avoid snapping off the base plate screws to the round standoff. They would seize if not lubed. Used Air impact to drive them. Driving by hand without a vise is almost impossible. SS to alum works fine, no problems. Used in Aviation and marine applications.

Have fun and Enjoy your system
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • Frxddy
    Frxddy Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like anti-seize is the answer. II can easily use a torque wrench on them. Ought to work well. Thanks for the help!
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    SkiDoo55 wrote: »
    Never Seize!! Keeps the stainless bolt from seizing even while being installed.

Ha, how appropriate! I've just installed my panels and had to take a grinder to at least 6 bolts because of seizing. Thought I had the problem sorted when I sprayed them with WD40 prior to install - it seems to have helped a bit, but still got a seize or two afterwards.
  • peakbagger
    peakbagger Solar Expert Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

Been there with Stainless, it can gall in a heartbeat, definitely never sieze. If you are doing bolted connections, stainless nuts with nylon inserts work well to keep nuts from loosening up. Compared to buying a SS lock washer and a standard nut, the nylon pricing is pretty close to wash when bought by the box.
  • HTG PVinPA
    HTG PVinPA Registered Users Posts: 16

We prepped our bolts on the ground and threw a nut on each. It was a nice mindless job for those less experienced to work on. It saved messing with the bottle while up on the roof. It's messy no matter what you do, but at least removing the bottle or tube out of the equation keeps it more simple.