Putting together my system, need help

Urbandialect
Urbandialect Solar Expert Posts: 107 ✭✭✭✭
Ok, I have been working on my solar back up power system, and I'm almost ready to put it all together; however I have a few questions.

I built my own solar panels, I know, I know, (slow death) but since it's a back up power system I do not intend to mount them to be exposed to the elements, I will pull them out as needed.

I built 5 solar panels at 65 watts a piece; they all are coming in at 20volts on my volt meter. I used 12 gauge wires for the positive and negative wires coming out the back of them but I’m not sure how to wire them together in parallel. It’s a 12 volt system (I know it’s positive to positive but I’m not sure how to go about wiring them together in series) Do I use a bus bar are something like that to lead all the positive into then run one wire from the bus to the charge controller positive side, then do the same for the negative?

How do I do it, explain it in detail. I need to what kind of wires to use as well, I really don’t want to put in any fuses if I don’t have too, the system will not be in any bad weather, but if you really recommend it I will.

Thank you

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,591 admin
    Re: Putting together my system, need help

You can use bus bars (mounted in a box, if needed) to parallel a bunch of connections:

wind-sun_2159_2883559

Regarding home made solar panels and installing without fuses/breakers... Most people build them with plastic and wood as major components--And that stuff can catch fire very easily.

Panel Fire Question

To be honest, what you are doing has a high chance of catching fire (if wooden/plastic array construction and no fuses--but even with fuses too).

Remember, the "bad weather" also includes sunlight... Solar panels can easily get upwards of 63F (35C) above ambient air temperatures--Normally solar panels are rated to around 180F maximum cell temperature.

Add that they thermal cycle (hot sun, cold nights), the entire array tends to slowly self destruct (flexing, lifting soldered connections, cracking solar cells, letting in moisture and insects, etc.).

For the most part, I would guess that your panels will last a few months under sun before they need rebuilding.

OK, off my soap box. Look at bus bars and/or Combiner Boxes (if you do use breakers/fuses) for your electrical connections.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset