Reading Meters..

TheBackRoads
TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭
Hey all,

Quick silly/dumb question... At our cabin and farm, when reading the electric meters the last digit seems to always be a 0... I have readings from last fall that all end in a zero. However at home, that last digit is an actual number 1-9.. do old meters just round to the neartest 10?

Cabin:
attachment.php?attachmentid=1904&stc=1&d=1308324086

Farm:
attachment.php?attachmentid=1903&stc=1&d=1308324086

Home:
attachment.php?attachmentid=1905&stc=1&d=1308324086

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Reading Meters..

I have an old mechanical "digital" meter and the last digit runs from 0-9 just fine... I would think yours should too--Just go out randomly during the day and see if you can catch it "non-zero"...

By the way trying to find an answer regarding the above questions--Here is a neat old 1917 engineering book about power meters with lots of pictures of the internals of mechanical power meters:

http://www.archive.org/stream/cu31924004599621#page/n0/mode/2up [link fixed]

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • TheBackRoads
    TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭

The reason I ask is because I have done that thinking "oh i'll check it in an hour or whatever and both the cabin and farm seem to read last digit zeros. It doesnt bother me just simply curious! or perhaps my timing is always wrong!:roll:

BB that link is down as well.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Sorry--I have fixed the above link:

http://www.archive.org/stream/cu31924004599621#page/n0/mode/2up

And this is the link to the "main page" for that book (other formats/reading options):

http://www.archive.org/details/cu31924004599621

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Well, I just spent the last half-hour looking around and couldn't find one page that talked about analog odometer-style meters. Only electronic or the dial-type like your last pic.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • chevenstein
    chevenstein Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭

You may have a malfunction of the anti-theft device. Look into the right hand side of the meter at the end of the shaft that the number indicators ride on, there should be a little metal pendulum. If it is not pointing straight down it may have become disengaged, though that should disable any usage recording, not just the lowest dial.

I have one of these meters on my off grid system for my own record keeping, which I bought from a meter rebuilder. My unit had been zeroed out and shipped cross country and did not record any usage when I first installed it. I figured out what had happened and took it out of the socket and shook it a bit, as the little weight that prevents the meter from going backwards if it's installed upside down to steal power was stuck. Once I got the weight down the meter worked fine.

Obviously, if it's not your meter you can't just pull it and do this, but if it's still accurately recording above the 1s place I wouldn't worry too much about it.