Help, I am at a total loss....

Options
mjtraver
mjtraver Registered Users Posts: 5
Could someone please help me. I have not bought anything yet but I have figure out my watts needed, which will be around 3000 per day. Would like to be using one system while the other is charging. Not sure where to start. I was looking at some 200+ 12v panels but if I did the math right I would 16 amp or so out of them to charge the batteries with. Could someone give me some suggestions on where to start and what exactly I will need? Please? Also, can you use a higher volt panel to charge a battery faster, example, one 12v battery and a 36 v panel, will it charge faster or just blow up? vs at 12v panel and a 12v battery? Thank you so much for any help and advise :) Thanks, Matt

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Help, I am at a total loss....

Welcome to the forum.

You may have missed some of the fine details of system design. :D

First off, 3000 Watts per day? That should be expressed as 3000 Watt hours per day. At least I hope so: 3 kW continuous is unimaginable.

Now if you want to supply that with a 12 Volt system: 3000 / 12 = 250 Amp hours, roughly speaking. Since the most you want to discharge a battery is 50% (assuming standard FLA batteries) that means a battery bank of at least 500 Amp hours @ 12 Volts nominal. That's the number you plan your recharging from.

In this (still theoretical) case you want to try for a charge rate of 5% to 13% of the total Amp hours. 10% is a good median target. So you need to get 50 Amps @ charging Voltage, which is usually 14.4 on a 12 Volt system: 50 * 14.4 = 720 Amps. But panels don't put out their full rating, so you have to account for that with an efficiency factor, typically 77%: 720 / 0.77 = 935 Watt array. You will also need a charge controller capable of that 50 Amps, and since the array size is so large choosing an MPPT type (several to pick from capable of 60 Amps) would be a good idea.

This is where you get in to having a different nominal array Voltage from the nominal system Voltage. The MPPT controller allows the array Voltage to be higher so there is less loss of power through the wires and then can convert to the system Voltage with minimal power loss. If you just connect a 12 Volt battery to a "24 Volt" array much of the PV's power will be lost.

That's the basics. Did it help any?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

We usually try to start with the basics... 3,000 watts a day? I would guess you mean 3,000 Watt*Hours per day or 3 kWH per day (~90 kWH per month). Is this 12 months of the year? Summer or Winter Cabin, or what?

Also, is this "off grid", emergency backup, or do you have utility power handy?

And, where do you plan on installing the system? Weather patterns have a big effect on the amount of sun you can capture.

Generating your own solar PV power for off grid use is not cheap (around $1-$2+ per kWH) vs $0.10-$0.20 per kWH for most people).

To give you an idea of what you would need... Assume you are near Kansas City Mo (from your accent), you want to run ~9 months of the year without using a backup genset, fixed array, full off grid system.

Using PV Watts, 0.52 system efficiency, Kansas MO, 1,000 watts (1 kW) of solar panels (even number, smallest value PV Watts supports):
    "Station Identification"
    "City:","Kansas_City"
    "State:","Missouri"
    "Lat (deg N):", 39.30
    "Long (deg W):", 94.72
    "Elev (m): ", 315
    "PV System Specifications"
    "DC Rating:"," 1.0 kW"
    "DC to AC Derate Factor:"," 0.520"
    "AC Rating:"," 0.5 kW"
    "Array Type: Fixed Tilt"
    "Array Tilt:"," 39.3"
    "Array Azimuth:","180.0"

"Energy Specifications"
    "Cost of Electricity:"," 7.0 cents/kWh"

"Results"
    "Month", "Solar Radiation (kWh/m^2/day)", "AC Energy (kWh)", "Energy Value ($)"
    1, 3.84, 63, 4.41
    2, 4.17, 60, 4.20
    3, 5.04, 79, 5.53
    4, 5.50, 79, 5.53
    5, 5.79, 84, 5.88
    6, 5.83, 78, 5.46
    7, 6.02, 83, 5.81
    8, 5.96, 84, 5.88
    9, 5.36, 74, 5.18
    10, 5.06, 75, 5.25
    11, 3.64, 54, 3.78
    12, 3.33, 53, 3.71
    "Year", 4.97, 866, 60.62

So, drop the lowest 3 months production, we are left with February at 60 kWH per 1,000 watts of solar panels:
    • 60 kWH per month / 28 days per Feb = 2.14 kWH = 2,140 WH per day February (20 year average)
    You want to use around 3,000 WH per day (assuming 120 VAC from inverter):
    • 3,000 WH per day / 2,140 WH per Feb Day per 1,000 watt of panels = 1,402 Watts of Solar Panels Nominal
    Battery Bank wise--the starting rule of thumb is 1-3 days of battery (no sun backup) and 50% maximum discharge (for long life). Try 2 days and 50% discharge for a 24 volt battery bank:
    • 3,000 WH per day * 1/0.85 inverter eff * 1/24 volt battery bank * 2 days * 1/0.50 max discharge = 882 AH @ 24 volt battery bank
    Now, we have to be careful--large capacity battery banks require a large solar array for proper charging. So we need to check battery rate of charge too... Rule of thumb is 5% to 13% rate of charge with 10% being a "good sized" array (good nominal for flooded cell battery banks):
    • 882 AH * 29 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+charger deratings * 0.05 rate of charge = 1,661 watt array minimum
    • 882 AH * 29 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+charger deratings * 0.05 rate of charge =3,322 watt array large/nominal
    • 882 AH * 29 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+charger deratings * 0.05 rate of charge =4,318 watt array roughly cost effective maximum array
    So--for your area and a 2 day battery bank running 3kWH per day from an inverter, you are looking at ~1,661 to 4,318 watt solar array with a ~882 AH @ 24 volt battery bank.

Note that there are a whole bunch of assumptions here. Normally, we go back to your daily/seasonal loads and if the place is occupied a minimum of 9 months a year, or less... etc...

Your questions?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • TheBackRoads
    TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    To give you an idea of what you would need... Assume you are near Kansas City Mo (from your accent), you want to run ~9 months of the year without using a backup genset, fixed array, full off grid system.-Bill

Bill, are you telling me you can tell where people are from based on how they type?! :confused::p:confused:
  • BB.
    Options

That, or as a moderator we can still look up people's IP addresses and guess where they are from by using one of the look up programs--such as:

http://www.geobytes.com/iplocator.htm

Have got to keep some of the mystery with computers--it's no fun if everyone knows how to do the tricks (just like magic).

-Bill ;)
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Bill! You know the punishment for revealing one of the secrets of The Brethren! :p
    You must turn off your GT system and pay full rates for one whole day!
  • TheBackRoads
    TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭
    Options

haha you guys are great. Bill I have used that website too, its pretty nifty. :D
  • BB.
    Options

Yea--It seems to be fairly accurate about 95% of the time.

Have fun!

-Bill
  • BB.
    Options

By the way--I have already pre-paid my "Indulgences" in advance...

My system was down for ~3.5 months while waiting for warranty replacement panels. :p

-Bill ":p" B.
  • mjtraver
    Options

Thank you all so much, that is a ton of help!!! and yes, I am from Kansas City lol nice trick :) So could I impose one step farther please? Could you recomend types of panels, batteries, inverters, what voltage everything should be and how I would hook it up idealy? It looks like I am going to need quite a few solar panels, they don't seem to come in much over 200? You all are awesome, I really appreciate the help!!!!8)
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Okay we got a bit too silly. :blush:

So, 3000 Watt hours per day is the target?
    What is the maximum you expect to use at any one time?
    Is this an RV install, cabin install, home install with/without grid availability?

It all makes a difference on what you select.

About the largest panels you'll find are 250 Watts: http://www.solar-electric.com/sosu250wa.html
    Not necessarily the best choice. Usually you want to look at cost per Watt, but sometimes ...
    The devil is in the details.
  • mjtraver
    Options

Probally only plan on using maybe 750 watts at any giving time. This is for an off grid system, cabin, no electiral at all. without grid.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

This is going to sound like I'm avoiding giving an answer but ...

What type of loads? Any AC motors like vacuum cleaners or refrigerators? CFL lights? TV/radio/CD?

You can get 1 kW pure sine inverters for quite reasonable amounts these days, but they tend not to have built-in AC chargers. So back-up charging would require a separate battery charger run from the generator.

Magnum makes a 2 kW unit with charger: http://www.solar-electric.com/maenms2020wa.html
    Exeltech's non-charger unit is much less expensive: http://www.solar-electric.com/exxp12vol11w.html
    Samlex even less so: http://www.solar-electric.com/sa10wa12vosi.html
    If the loads can be divided into two separate sources under 300 Watts each you could use a pair of the Morningstar units, but I expect that would get to be too complex.

Also, if you could shave your daily Watt hours by about 600 You could use typical golf cart batteries wired up for 450 Amp hours @ 12 Volts. Very inexpensive power that way, and a good choice for starting out. Otherwise you're looking at a need for 500+ Amp hours, and that gets in to expensive choices (either in individual batteries or the need for 3 parallel sets).
  • mjtraver
    Options

I was planning on running a couple of fans, a radio and a small dorm size refrigerator.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Argh! I knew it! This is what always happens! :p

"a small, dorm-size refrigerator."

You know what? These things can use as much energy as a full-size refrigerator.

The fans and the 'frige will definitely want the pure sine power: AC induction motors don't like MSW. They "see" it as low Voltage. They'll draw more current, run hotter, and run shorter. In some cases they won't run at all. Why is this important if I've already suggested several PSW inverters? Because that refrigerator (or any refrigerator) will have a big start-up surge which a 1 kW inverter, even pure sine wave, may not handle. If it was a big, non-inductive load you could select from quite a wide array of MSW inverters with high power ratings for very low cost.

Okay, so here's what you do if you can: get a Kill-A-Watt meter and run everything you want to use at the cabin through it and collect some real-world numbers. If you haven't already bought the equipment, start thinking about alternatives.

First alternative: propane refrigerator. If this is an occasional use cabin buying one of these, especially used like an RV unit, can save you a lot of money over a solar electric set-up capable of powering an electric 'frige. The more time you spend there, the more viable the electric becomes. Making this one change will allow you to "shift down" substantially in power needs. It's the difference between the big batteries, large array, and over-sized inverter and one set of 225 Amp hours, 400 Watts of panel, and a Morningstar 300 W inverter. Ask Icarus: that configuration is about what he lives on, full time. The difference? He uses a propane 'frige.

Meanwhile I and all my necessary AC induction motors have 320 Amp hours, 700 Watts of panel - both of which are marginal for performance - and a 3.6 kW 24 Volt inverter which produces less than 200 Watts most of the time. But when the motors kick on that big capacity is needed, even if only momentarily.
  • mjtraver
    Options

Ok, thank you, I think I will try to do that. So with the lower watt system, what componets will I need and what size and voltage?
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

It still comes down to the same calculations from loads. Eliminating the refrigerator will take at least 120 Watts off the maximum (down to 630 from 750) and probably 1000 Watt hours off the daily total. Just guessing here, but you can see it will be significant.

Even at 600+ Watts peak you'll need larger than the Morningstar 300. The fans won't draw much (depending on size and how long they are on), neither will CFL lights. But you will need to get some idea of what you're left powering; it's easier to come up with the power you need than to figure out what to do when it runs out at 2:00 AM because the system is too small.

A small system as an example only:

Two 6 Volt golf cart type batteries for 12 Volts @ 225 Amp hours gives 112 Amp hours maximum, or about 1344 Watt hours daily @ 50% DOD. At 25% DOD = 672 Watt hours - usually a better target.
    432 Watts of panel to get 10% charge current @ 14.8 Volts using 77% efficiency factor. Should produce 864 Watt hours daily factoring in all efficiency losses and figuring on 4 hours of "equivalent good sun" per day. Will need a charge controller capable of up to 30 Amps, either PWM or MPPT (the latter especially if planning further expansion but there's a big price difference).
    An inverter suitable to the maximum load. This will still be under 1 kW, and could go as low as 300.
    Back-up charging system for when the sun doesn't shine. A small generator like a Honda EU1000i and a good battery charger.

If you need more daily Watt hours you increase the battery bank and the panels/controller accordingly. It can be advantageous to up the system Voltage to avoid too many parallel battery connections (becomes problematic in keeping the current flow even through all batteries). Also, the same "30 Amp" charge controller can be used at higher system Voltages to handle more over-all power, rather than having to up the current capacity: 30 Amps @ 12 Volts = 360 Watts, but 30 Amps @ 24 Volts = 720 Watts - on the same controller.