Generating solar pwr while RV is not in use

Options
Shasta1
Shasta1 Registered Users Posts: 15
New member here....

I'm in the process of installing a solar system on our RV. My question is this; are there any negatives to having the solar panels operating everyday even though the RV is parked and hooked up to shore pwr? My factory converter/inverter via shore pwr typically keeps the batteries charged. The system spends most of it's home time on float charge.

Should I "turn-off" the panels so they don't generate pwr?

I live in southern Arizona and get lots of sun! I'm even thinking of running a line from the RV solar system in to our computer room and running that stuff off solar while the RV is setting here.

This is a small system; 2 ea. 135w panels, 150AH, Morningstar 45a controller, 1000w pure sine wave inverter.

Any comments or ideas on this? Thanks!

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Generating solar pwr while RV is not in use

Welcome to the forum.

No worries at all; the panels will not over-charge the batteries or any other such nasty thing happen. The Morningstar will sense the battery Voltage, even if charged from another source, and act accordingly at regulation charge output from the panels.

You're not the first to think of plugging something in to their parked-at-home RV and getting more value out of the solar investment either. Great minds run in the same channel! :D Just make sure that the RV's AC is completely isolated from the house AC, and that the loads don't exceed the solar's potential (roughly 1 kW hour daily I'd say).
  • Shasta1
    Options

Thanks for the fast reply!

Yep....hate to waste a perfectly good pwr generating system. And I'm planning on adding two more panels and two more batteries in the next year. ;)
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Options

You should first look at disconnecting the RV from your house, and using your solar system to keep your batteries at float. Subtract that small load from your PV output and then use the remaining amount to run a base load in your house. Fridge, or a freezer, or a TV you watch every night for X hours. A fridge will use 20-50 watts-hr (depending on how new or old it is) 24/7 365. You might use your computer one night and not the next 3. Your constant base loads make up the largest portion of your bill, not the big stuff that runs once in a while.

Unplugging the RV saves you a few bucks every month - essentially removing another base load from the grid. Powering another base load with its output removes another base load, plus its easier to design for since its a known load on a daily basis. You also don't have to think about it day-to-day. With a computer you'll have to time yourself daily and keep track of the weather so you don't go over your daily allowance. If you are powering a fridge you've already run the numbers and know you are ok for 1, 2 or 3 days of clouds before you have to plug the RV back in to run your fridge. So there is less "fiddle factor".
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • Shasta1
    Options

Thanks for the advice techntrek.....very practical suggestion!