Latest Panel Technology

ryan1ryan1 Registered Users Posts: 6
Anyone current on any new tech, that has a chance of public production?

I'm finding a lot of news from 2009 about 43% efficient cells, colored ones that can use diffused light, etc. Here we are mid 2011, thought we would have made more progress.

Yes, I also want my Star Trek Replicator already too.

Comments

  • BB.BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 32,007 admin
    Re: Latest Panel Technology

    Probably not anything soon... What (I believe) you are seeing is slow manufacturing/product improvements, Time & Labor reduction, and off-shoring for low cost labor (and light regulation on pollution, labor, etc.).

    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ryan1ryan1 Registered Users Posts: 6
    Re: Latest Panel Technology

    Like this http://inhabitat.com/colored-solar-panels-dont-need-direct-sunlight/

    Would be useful stuff.
  • solarixsolarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
    Re: Latest Panel Technology

    I've been reading that kind of stuff for 30 years. Don't hold your breath. The primary improvement has been production automation to produce the slightly improved PV technology at a much lower cost. The world doesn't owe you a miracle - let's get to work using what we have.
    Although - whatever happened to that 50 cents/w nanotech thinfilm process. Will it ever be available to the residential market?
  • ggunnggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Re: Latest Panel Technology
    ryan1 wrote: »
    Anyone current on any new tech, that has a chance of public production?

    I'm finding a lot of news from 2009 about 43% efficient cells, colored ones that can use diffused light, etc. Here we are mid 2011, thought we would have made more progress.

    Yes, I also want my Star Trek Replicator already too.
    I want a Turbo Lift to take me to work every morning. I ain't getting in no Transporter, though!
  • PolychrestPolychrest Registered Users Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Re: Latest Panel Technology

    Here's a long-winded piece about a guy who claims to have engineered a game-changing panel technology: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/small-business/start/talent/solar-legend-guides-startup-across-valley-of-death/article2053304/
    The holy grail of renewable energy is called grid parity, the point at which it becomes at least as cheap as conventional grid sources – coal, nuclear, hydro and all the rest. Current solar technologies run about 20 cents per kilowatt hour. Grid parity lies at around 10 cents. Ansari thinks Morgan Solar could promise that elusive milestone early next year, once the current round of testing and development is finished and limited commercial production begins. He's circling the globe spreading the message to his Rolodex of contacts.
  • VicVic Solar Expert Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Latest Panel Technology

    I completely agree with solarix. There will ALWAYS be a reason to wait for that new technology which is "just around the corner", and always takes forever. Occasionally, a few of these products do come to market. Often they do not, as the breakthrough is not feasible in volume production.

    IMHO, if one needs some solution, buy the product that best meets the need, NOW. One could spend one's entire life waiting for the perfect solution, as there will always seem to be that next great, almost product, just over the horizon.

    This is true of personal computers, consumer electronics, solar solutions, autos, etc.

    Off the soapbox, and off to work. Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH [email protected], 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • dreesdrees Solar Expert Posts: 481 ✭✭✭
    Re: Latest Panel Technology
    solarix wrote: »
    Although - whatever happened to that 50 cents/w nanotech thinfilm process. Will it ever be available to the residential market?
    They're not quite down to 50c/watt yet - but that is manufacturing cost, not retail pricing anyway.

    First Solar is still the low-cost leader claiming a manufactured price of $0.73/watt last I heard - but because of it all their product goes to large scale installs. I believe that they expect to reach $0.50/watt in a few years - they seem to be reducing cost 5-10% every year or so.

    Nanosolar had a lot of hype and are slowly ramping up production and ramping down pricing but are way behind First Solar.
  • BB.BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 32,007 admin
    Re: Latest Panel Technology

    And if mounting/installation hardware costs $1-$2 per watt... The costs of the actual solar panels becomes less and less... (note that, typically, thin film are 1/2 as efficient and take up about 2x the area--so I would expect mounting hardware costs to be about 2x too).

    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ggunnggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Re: Latest Panel Technology
    Vic wrote: »
    I completely agree with solarix. There will ALWAYS be a reason to wait for that new technology which is "just around the corner", and always takes forever. Occasionally, a few of these products do come to market. Often they do not, as the breakthrough is not feasible in volume production.

    IMHO, if one needs some solution, buy the product that best meets the need, NOW. One could spend one's entire life waiting for the perfect solution, as there will always seem to be that next great, almost product, just over the horizon.

    This is true of personal computers, consumer electronics, solar solutions, autos, etc.

    I live behind the crest of the wave. When the Next Big Thing hits the market, I can pick up the last Big Thing for a song when the early adopters dump their gear to move up. My old G4 Mac still runs great and I have never paid more than $6K for a car.
Sign In or Register to comment.