Refrigerator Defrost Heater

silvertop
silvertop Solar Expert Posts: 155 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has anyone off grid bypassed the timer for the defrost heater? I was thinking about trying to put the heater on a manual on off switch, so I could every 30 days or so flip the switch and defrost and then turn off this power pig! Any thoughts, this is a 10 year old Frigidaire that we will faze out for a new fridge.

Comments

• petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Refrigerator Defrost Heater

Faze in the new fridge quicker. Turning off the defrost can sometimes cause more troubles .
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

One place I read (may have been here) said that after about 24 hours, there was enough accumulated ice on the evaporator (in there frost free Energy Star Fridge) that it was starting to impede airflow inside the fridge (eventually leading to more power use).

I don't think it will save you much energy.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

Another option that might be nice is to somehow rig the defrost timer so it only switches on during the afternoon absorb / float stage of recharging. My fridge's timer certainly isn't consistent - the book gives the impression it should be every 24 hrs, but it seems to vary quite a bit. Be nice to keep it from happening late evening while on battery or late morning when I'm trying to bulk charge.

Another potential project to add to the list... :p Haven't ever opened up a fridge to see just what it has for controls though, so don't yet know what the possibilities are...
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Yeah, I think that was someone here.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is