Battery charger size for 2 x T105

sunenergy
sunenergy Registered Users Posts: 22
I'm checking out the Iota chargers and wondering what would be the ideal size for charging 2 x 6v T105s (12v)

The 30 amp Iota seems like it would be the correct size but I've read some forum posts where folks claim the 45 amp charger is OK to use. What do you recommend?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Battery charger size for 2 x T105

Trojan recommends a 10% charge rate: 22.5 Amps
    Either the 30 or the 45 will work, but there's no point buying the 45 as the current will likely never be that high. You wouldn't want it to be either.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

unless you are going to expand on the battery bank soon then the 30a iota will do just fine.
  • sunenergy

Out of curiosity wouldn't the 45 amp charger charge at too high of a current for a 12v 225 amp battery bank? I wouldn't be opposed to getting the 45 amp just to be sure I'd be covered if I did add a couple of more batteries.

The following is from a Trojan site. Would repeated charging at 20% shorten battery life? One advantage would be shorter generator run time.

From Trojan:
    What size charger should I buy?
    A properly sized charger takes into account battery capacity and the time interval between charges. In applications where cycling is infrequent, such as weekend RV users, or infrequent or seasonal trolling motor usage, a charger with an output current rating between 10 and 13% of the battery's rated 20-hour capacity will suffice. In applications where battery recharge must be accomplished within 8 to 10 hours, a three stage, automatic charger, rated at 20% of the battery capacity, may be required.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

that statement is them giving the ok to use up to that high of a state of charge, but it will cause higher maintenance like watering more often. that is close too close to their max recommendation to suit me. unless you are going to expand on the battery bank the 30a iota will work quite well, but it is your choice and your $.
  • sunenergy

30 amp charger it is. Thanks for the help.