Permit Fee

Options
Fatawan
Fatawan Solar Expert Posts: 71 ✭✭✭
I was looking for some input on permit fees people see when getting the permit for your system. I was shocked when they told me i would have to pay $500 for the permit for my 10kW system. They based it strictly off the roughly $40,000 cost. They considered it a "remodel" of my existing electric system! I am going to do battle with the village board, so I need some ammo! It makes little sense to me, since they can't, by law, increase the tax basis for my dwelling because I added solar PV. It's not a remodel. It's ground mounted. It's not on my dwelling. What do you all think?

Thanks

Comments

• The Only Sarge
    The Only Sarge Solar Expert Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Permit Fee

Speak with an attorney.
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
    Options

One town here is $75 as they have a mandate to help solar.
    Other town is usually about $155, but they only count the labor value in the job.

I agree with you that it seems like most government beaurocracy could care less about helping the country go solar.
  • Fatawan
    Options
    Speak with an attorney.

Call is in to attorney.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Some of the cities in our area where getting upwards of $1,000 for permit fees to install GT Solar... There was a push in the region to get permits fees down below $500 per install a few years ago.

However, given that cities are really pressed for revenue--they are looking for ways to keep government funded (now with reduced construction activity bringing in less money).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • The Only Sarge
    Options
    Fatawan wrote: »
    Call is in to attorney.
    Good man. I am a super mod (look up dumba$$) on a hot rod forum with over 40,000 members.
    I have yet to see decent or good "legal advise" come from the internet. Folks mean well...but an attorney is what you need.
  • Fatawan
    Options
    Good man. I am a super mod (look up dumba$$) on a hot rod forum with over 40,000 members.
    I have yet to see decent or good "legal advise" come from the internet. Folks mean well...but an attorney is what you need.

I was just looking for comps here so I knew if I was way off or not.

The attorney said the Village is bust and "run by Nazis" who will likely say "if you think it is high, sue us." Great.
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I live in the country in Pa. My township charged me $25.00 for permit and another $75.00 to pay the inspector. First energy also charged me $100.00 GT application fee.
    Solar vic
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭
    Options

I have seen poor advice come from a lawyer as well - so don't trust those bas/*&ds either - feel comfortable with what the lawyer tells you before signing off.
  • The Only Sarge
    Options

I agree to a point. Many forget lawyers work for you not the other way around when it comes to legal advise.

Back on topic though.....HOA/Town Councils et al are not immune to suits. Been my experience they lose the ego real quick when they are sued. Usually will come to the table. Filing a lawsuit is cheap.Prosecuting a lawsuit can be expensive.
  • simmtron
    simmtron Solar Expert Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
    Options

One consultation with a Lawyer will cost more than the fees, forget the lawyers...
  • Fatawan
    Options

My lawyer is free so that's a moot point. I don't want to sue the Village, but I think they should have some idea on what and why as far as fees go. This will be the first solar install here.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree on the cost to do a law suit. My HOA just needed to see the applicable AZ laws in my application letter to get them to back off and approve my install on the 3rd attempt. In the enclosed letter just spelled out that if they continued to refuse, a law suit was forth coming and they would end up paying the fees. I did speak to a lawyer that gave me a 10 minute phone consult for free and told me he would be glad to hit them with a suit, and they would end up paying his fees, per the AZ statue.

BTW the HOA board had 2 lawyers on it, and I am willing to bet they knew their refusal was without merit.
  • Fatawan
    Options

Well, much more pleasant experience than I was expecting. They asked a number of questions, and decided $75 was more appropriate than $484 for the permit fee!