Fixing a BP275UL panel- help?

Options
Julz
Julz Registered Users Posts: 7
Hi,

I had some BP275UL panels given to me that I have passed on to a friend in Brazil. While installing them, apparently a "wire was crossed" and the fuse was blown- but maybe a bypass diode?

Since I do not have a manual for the panels, and am not in Brazil to even look at what is wrong, I am at a bit of a loss as to how to advise my friends, and how/where to find replacement parts. There is also the language difference...

Is there some kind of a "solar panel tool kit" that would have fuses, bypass diodes, etc. ? Can I make one up somehow to help them out?

Still trying to get more info from my friend about what exactly is damaged- but he says that the panels "work fine". I believe they are being used in a clear area (no shade), so if my understanding of the purpose of the bypass diode is correct, it shouldn't be a problem if it is damaged as long as there is no shading occurring.

Electricity is so not my thing... that's part of the reason why I gave them to my friend!

If anyone has any ideas, links, wiring diagrams... anything at all right now would be better than a shot in the dark. Yes, I have tried BP's website, emailed them, looked through archives on this and other sites for manuals, wiring diagrams and such. I don't really even know where to look for parts- tho I see that there are some advertisers on AZ Wind and Sun's site that might have what I need, if I knew what that was!

Thanks so much for helpful suggestions!
Julz

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options
    Re: Fixing a BP275UL panel- help?

Here is an explanation about bypass and blocking diodes:

http://www.windsun.com/General/tech_tips.htm

Do they have a volt/current meter so they can measure what the panels are doing?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Julz
    Options

I'm not sure at this time, Bill. I will be talking to the guy in a couple of days, and can ask in person. It's easier with the language barrier/translating, etc. I hope he can draw me a picture or something.

I will visit there in August, and would just like to get as much info/help for them as possible. They are building a community center and my panels are apparently supplying much of their power needs.

I'll read up some more, thanks for the link.
  • BB.
    Options

One thing that make debugging DC power systems easier (and safer) is a DC Clamp Current Meter... Like one of these "inexpensive units" for $60. (Make sure you have the zero meter turned on correctly--the meter needs to be "re-zeroed" every few minutes or the DC current readings will drift off).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Julz
    Options

Thanks Bill!

If/When I get more info about what is up with this thing, I'll follow up here. So far this is the closest to human contact problem solving I can get- and I appreciate it!
  • BB.
    Options

You are welcome, I think.:p

-Bill ;)