Most Reliable PV Pump

Jardin del Alma
Jardin del Alma Registered Users Posts: 6
Well I hope this is not one of those subjects that have been beaten way too many times in the past. I also do not want this to turn into a pissing contest either.

I am genuinely curious if anyone has noticed if there is a particular PV, submersible pump, that stands out as super reliable? If so why or how?

I have friends who have had their pumps go out within a year of installation and have heard of others with the same problem. Then I here about those who have the same pump that has been doing fine for long periods of time.

Is there a pump or a type of pump that is known to be more reliable?

Or maybe the question should also be what pumps or type of pumps should one stay away from because they are problematic?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Most Reliable PV Pump

Without mentioning any specific brand, I will say there's three things that greatly affect the lifespan of any pump: the quality of the water, the frequency of pump cycling, and the demand made on the pump's abilities. The more dissolved solids or other contaminants in the water the shorter the life. The more often the pump turns on and off the shorter the life. The harder the pump has to work (maximum lift/flow/pressure) the shorter the life. That's why you'll have one person having good luck with a particular pump at one location and another person having bad experience with the same make & model somewhere else. Even next door can be enough of a difference in water quality, to say nothing of usage.

Sorry that doesn't really answer your question. :blush:
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

There are many options/alternatives when pumping water. In general solar pumps (being a limited power source) have to pump slow which generally means close tolerances in the pump - which means wear. Better and cheaper to use a centrifical pump, but they only run full speed. If you have strong AC, do that. Otherwise go for a $$$ solar pump if you want it to last.
    If you don't need it to have a sanitary seal and have shallow water, google something called a "rope pump".
  • backroad
    backroad Solar Expert Posts: 185 ✭✭

Unless you get into the high volume solar pumps, I don't feel that they are any more expensive than most of the AC pumps and probably just as reliable. I've had really good experience with the Sun Pumps and the people there are super. I've got two wells on the property, one AC & one solar. The solar Sun Pump will provide all the water I need for living plus. I only use the ac pump for extreme watering.

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Also consider the surge and it's effect on your homes other electronics. The best pump that I often reccommend is made by gravity. It does not work everywhere,;) but if it can be used it will give the lowest maintenance.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Do you need a submersible pump or can you use a regular pump? Submersibles tend to fail more often from water leaks and failed electrical attachment.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • backroad
    backroad Solar Expert Posts: 185 ✭✭

Gravity feed sure lacks in the shower and doing laundry...
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    backroad wrote: »
    Gravity feed sure lacks in the shower and doing laundry...

Yes, it does if it is not designed right !
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net