batteries on 24v system

Options
2»

Comments

• SolarT
    SolarT Solar Expert Posts: 49
    Options
    Re: batteries on 24v system
    Not a good idea. The S600 is 450 Amp hours and the T105 is 225 Amp hours. Full charge rate for the Surrette will be too much for the Trojan; it will cook.

I thought if you wire 2 T105 parallel (2x225Ah) = one S600 (450Ah).
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    SolarT wrote: »
    I thought if you wire 2 T105 parallel (2x225Ah) = one S600 (450Ah).

Trojan = singular
    Trojans = plural
    Original premise was to replace the defective Surrette with "a Trojan", meaning one.
    If you use two in parallel it will theoretically have the same Amp hour capacity, but you will have to worry about keeping the current equal through the two in the middle of a battery bank. Unequal wire lengths, bad connection ... the power keeps flowing but it is no longer equal.

The quote in my sig is more than just a motto! :p
  • SolarT
    SolarT Solar Expert Posts: 49
    Options

Fast reading, I missed the singular part.

I was just solving the problem with availability. I was thinking, 24v with T105 available in Haiti. That would be 8 - T105(s) in series and parallell. Surrette not available.
  • Kefalonianman
    Kefalonianman Solar Expert Posts: 60 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Many thanks form your reply, but I think I mislead you my solar are only 434 in total is this why I am not replacing the charge quick enough

Also I switched to grid support mode last night and the batteries run down to 24.7 then the grid is supplying the power and the solar charge lights are flashing.

Should I see the 24.7 volts increase during the day and the power will start feeding from the batteries again until itbis depleted to 24.7 again then it cycles, and is this ok for the batteries as they would not reach full charge

Paul
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Many thanks form your reply, but I think I mislead you my solar are only 434 in total is this why I am not replacing the charge quick enough

Also I switched to grid support mode last night and the batteries run down to 24.7 then the grid is supplying the power and the solar charge lights are flashing.

Should I see the 24.7 volts increase during the day and the power will start feeding from the batteries again until itbis depleted to 24.7 again then it cycles, and is this ok for the batteries as they would not reach full charge

Paul

What you should see, what you need to see is the batteries being brought up over 28 Volts and held there for a couple of hours. Whether this is done by grid or solar power doesn't matter. But if the panel total is 434 Watts it isn't going to happen from solar. Your panels are just about enough to maintain the batteries without loading.

A couple of other things: a "24 Volt" system can be taken down as low as 21 Volts, if needed. But getting it charged back up is vital. Also, at 434 Watts for four panels the math indicates you have four different types/Wattage of panels; depending on how they are wired and what charge controller you're using you could be getting even less than the maximum potential out of them.
  • Kefalonianman
    Kefalonianman Solar Expert Posts: 60 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

My system has sat at 24 v all day it did increase from 23.6 but apart fro that no movement

I have grid enabled and load shave disabled and it's running on ac pass thru

The charge controllers are made by a company called wind energy 7 but I am thinking off changing these to a compatible xantrex controller My panels are 117 w each

I am going force charge and leave to re run to see if it changes tomorrow

Paul