converter stuck on boost mode

Shadowcatcher
Shadowcatcher Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
We finally have our teardrop trailer and the wiring was majorly messed up. I am finished redoing the major work today.
Problem, the Progressive Dynamics converter was wired incorrectly, the white, hot leg AC, and negative DC were both attached with big ugly copper lugs screwed into the aluminum frame. There was no need to ground anything to the frame and it is no longer.
The PD 4000 converter now seems stuck in boost mode and is putting out 14.4 V at the battery as long as the battery is connected. The battery an AGM is reading 12.99 V after being disconnected for 12+ hours. The converter with out the battery connected is putting out 13.6V.

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: converter stuck on boost mode

Don't know your converter, but if it's output is just rectified AC without filtering, the average voltage will tend to go higher when connected to a fully charged battery, same as if you had connected a "filter" capacitor across the converter output. It chargers to the peak voltage of the pulsed DC and holds it there. If the converter is designed to regulate for AGM batteries, it has a serious problem, and I strongly suspect that if it continues to hold fully charged AGM's at 14.5, they aren't going to last very long, the non-replaceable electrolyte will be "boiled" off.:cry:
    Also note, that with standard 115 VAC, the WHITE wire is normally considered "NEUTRAL" (current carrying ground), while the BLACK is HOT. There's an old joke about electricians in Canada having every Winter off, and since we usually have snow then, the electricians think the GROUND is white. :p
  • Shadowcatcher

The Progressive Dynamics are one of the better three stage converters and it should drop voltage to 13.6V once the battery has reached 90% capacity. It is quite clearly not doing that. At this point I am disconnecting the battery (battery shut off switch) and running on shore power.
    I am aware that the white is in a home situation is considered "neutral" (which is kind of screwy) but it is in reality as hot as the black, that AC thing. I recently rewired a new main panel to accommodate an emergency generator (transfer switch incorporated).
  • sloarlite
    sloarlite Registered Users Posts: 15 ✭✭

The 4600 Progressive Dynamics converter has a mode button. That will allow you to manually switch modes.

I would try to see if the converter will manually switch modes. If you need help post back. If it does not switch modes then I would contact Progressive Dynamics tech support. I belong to an RV forum and some have contacted PD with questions with great results.

http://www.progressivedyn.com/contactus.html

I will also add that if you disconnect the battery and remove 110 from the converter it will always come up in Boost/bulk mode and stay there for around 4 hrs before dropping back into absorb mode ....13.6vdc.

Jim
  • Shadowcatcher

Just got through talking with Progressive Dynamics service and they are shipping out a new converter section this afternoon. David could not figure out what was happening either so this should resolve the problem.
  • sloarlite
    sloarlite Registered Users Posts: 15 ✭✭

Great....That should resolve the issue. Let us know if it all works out..
    They really do respond to customer's needs and complaints unlike many other companies.

Jim
  • Shadowcatcher

The only problem was getting through the phone tree, it was only when I found a live body that I got help. I have been impressed with them in the past when I had questions.
  • Shadowcatcher

Called yesterday afternoon had the replacement converter module this morning :)
    I have got to say it was easy to replace (engineering for simplicity) and it now works as it should!
  • Powerguy2011
    Powerguy2011 Registered Users Posts: 6

The funny thing is in the rv industry a lot of the electrical is done by Amish which don't even use it at home. I'm being serious.
  • Shadowcatcher

I am not sure where these are manufactured but the location is in eastern Michigan.