Metal Roof PV Installation

Options
The Only Sarge
The Only Sarge Solar Expert Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here in South Texas 99% of all roofs are metal seam roofs. I searched and did not find any mention of these little S5 clips...so I share now. These things cost about $4 each and are just easy breezy to install. You cannot pull them off. Them suckers attach under the seam and hold tight. No penetration to your metal roof. Your roof will come off before these things let go. Very good product for anybody wanting to install PV to a metal seam roof.

Comments

• solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Metal Roof PV Installation

Ya, metal roofs are easy with S5! clamps. Be aware however that there are many styles of standing seams and S5! clamps don't work with all of them. And you're right the clamp is stronger than the roof and you have to make sure the nailing pattern on the roof can handle the wind load on your array. Around here, the inspectors require an S5! on every standing seam on the long side of the modules which often adds up to more expensive than rails. Worth it to have no penetrations though.
  • david3
    david3 Solar Expert Posts: 37
    Options

I've been thinking about S-5 clamps for a metal roof, but I'm wondering (inspectors aside) whether it's really necessary to install a clamp at every seam? With seams every 1 foot, that could be 10 clamps on a single panel. Would 4 or 6 clamps per panel hold it tight enough?
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
    Options

yes, 4 or 6 clamps per panel would hold it tight, but the issue is whether it would rip the roofing off in a windstorm. Need to spread the windloading over as many seams as possible. That means landscape orientation by the way. Read the S5! mounting instructions.
  • david3
    david3 Solar Expert Posts: 37
    Options

I understand. Probably not the place to scrimp.