Just a "new guys" observations

Options
The Only Sarge
The Only Sarge Solar Expert Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭
I feel compelled to firstly thank this forum and it's sponsor. I ordered a panel and a controller from the forum sponsor just because of this forum....that and I do not speak Mandarin Chinese.

I am new to solar. But now have a few hundred watts and a battery bank all powering one of my shops. It is sweet....and thanks to this forum nobody was killed.

The purpose of my post though is this.........

I thought the "performance automobile" industry had all the snake oil/BS artist/Internet Experts. I was horribly wrong. If you Google something like "grounding a solar system"...Lord help me the misinformation/conflicting information and flat out BS is mind boggling. Then the rip off sales people out there selling WellSee MPPT Controllers/Panels made by WhoFrickingKnows Inc....it gets really scary.

My favorite is the desulphator. Sorta like our Royal Purple/Tornado performance enhancements.

Oh well....I found myself coming back here time and time again to gain some sense of ethics/morals/professionalism.

So I paid "more money" for my stuff from this forum sponsor.....versus SolarWangs Super Panels for $100....or did I really save money in the long run? I think I made a wise purchase.

Thank you for the forum....you folks are a island of truth in a sea of misinformation.

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Just a "new guys" observations

What you found about this form and it's people sir, is exactly what I found about this form and it's people. I don't even bother looking/wasting my time with the other forms unless I'm in the mood for a laugh at some of the BS their know-nothing "experts" post up, and I can't remember when I last did that.
    The people here have been such a huge help to me that now I'm an expert too! Hahahaha Just kidding of course about my being an expert, but each of us have our strong points :p
    BS here is pretty much non-existent, and anyone who does BS is soon put in their place, so what you're told, or read on this form, you can pretty much take to the bank.
    Welcome to the best form of it's kind in the world :D
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    Options

As a teenager (back in the analog days) I would see adverts in the back of every magazine, for a product called the "Thompson Vocal Eliminator". The one-liner on the ad proclaimed, "We can prove it works over the phone" . The ad was so prevalent that alot of someone, somewhere, had to be keeping that company afloat.
  • PhilS
    PhilS Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
    Options

Welcome, Sarge!

Your observations about this forum and its sponsor are spot-on.

Of course, I'm an owner of two desulfators just recently removed entirely from my system. I've had them for years and cannot say they ever helped prolong my battery's lives.

They DID interfere with the operation of one of my Outback controllers, so they've been disconnected for a few months. NOW they are removed and available if you need 'em :D ... like if you had an Outback controller that was acting perfectly normal and didn't like it that way.

Now... Royal Purple is a brand of synthetic oil and synthetic is well proven as to the benefits. I've never used RP but I've used most of the other brands of synthetic for over three decades.

That Tornado, on the other hand, is a great invention for somebody's bottom profit line -- it just doesn't do anything for performance or economy. They don't even LOOK that neat, like the hubcaps that keep spinning after you stop!

Soon Bill (B.B.) will post here about the relative RPM differences between the spinning hubcaps and the Tornado (most of us have learned that his math and knowledge are unbeatable).

Phil
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    PhilS wrote: »
    Soon Bill (B.B.) will post here about the relative RPM differences...

Close, I was going to post this link on the Thomson Vocal Eliminator... I was curious how it worked and why sometimes it worked very well, and other times, not at all (on old cassette tapes).

-Bill "getting too predictable" B. :blush::blush:
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • The Only Sarge
    Options
    Welcome, Sarge!

Your observations about this forum and its sponsor are spot-on.

Of course, I'm an owner of two desulfators just recently removed entirely from my system. I've had them for years and cannot say they ever helped prolong my battery's lives.

They DID interfere with the operation of one of my Outback controllers, so they've been disconnected for a few months. NOW they are removed and available if you need 'em :D ... like if you had an Outback controller that was acting perfectly normal and didn't like it that way.

Now... Royal Purple is a brand of synthetic oil and synthetic is well proven as to the benefits. I've never used RP but I've used most of the other brands of synthetic for over three decades.

That Tornado, on the other hand, is a great invention for somebody's bottom profit line -- it just doesn't do anything for performance or economy. They don't even LOOK that neat, like the hubcaps that keep spinning after you stop!

Soon Bill (B.B.) will post here about the relative RPM differences between the spinning hubcaps and the Tornado (most of us have learned that his math and knowledge are unbeatable).

Phil

Dont get me started on tribology....trust me on this one......
    With todays SN rated oil there is very very little difference in conventional or synthetics. Royal Purple makes claims that are outrageous and also returns the worst UOA's we have ever gotten back from the lab.

Oh well.....this solar stuff is like crack....I already want more more more!!!! Must have more power!
  • PhilS
    Options
    Dont get me started on tribology....trust me on this one......

Actually, I wish you were closer. It'd be great to discuss it over a few brews!

I have only anecdotal evidence over of a million of miles since about '77 (over-the-road owner-operator). Synthetic has always more than paid for itself but it's certainly no magic solution, although sometimes it's hyped that way.

Tell us more about your newly-solar-powered shop!

Phil
  • The Only Sarge
    Options
    Actually, I wish you were closer. It'd be great to discuss it over a few brews!

I have only anecdotal evidence over of a million of miles since about '77 (over-the-road owner-operator). Synthetic has always more than paid for itself but it's certainly no magic solution, although sometimes it's hyped that way.

Tell us more about your newly-solar-powered shop!

Phil
    Synthetics had a huge advantage across multiple variables years ago.....but not anymore. We (and most) run synthetic blends nowadays. The carrier oils are a cracked mineral oil. Synthetic add packs. Show me the difference between a GRPIII (or even GRPII+) and a "full synthetic" :) Back on track here.....

Nothing major with the solar.....few hundred watts of panels over the garage....feeding 4 125 amp hour marine batteries....then a 750 watt inverter....we are just playing...and power some florescent lights/a stereo and some workbench tools like dremels etc. Nothing major. More of a "backup" power source than anything else....The project was a lot of fun for me personally.....and I will admit having a grin when the lights came on....batteries maintain charge by 1pm everyday....I did order (and got an email it shipped today) from the forum sponsor another Kyrocera 135 watt panel and a Morningstar controller....this for a "new array" going to the same battery bank....and will give me an excuse to order another and another and another :)
  • PhilS
    Options
    Synthetics had a huge advantage across multiple variables years ago.....but not anymore. We (and most) run synthetic blends nowadays. The carrier oils are a cracked mineral oil. Synthetic add packs. Show me the difference between a GRPIII (or even GRPII+) and a "full synthetic" :) Back on track here.....

I'd only disagree with the "anymore" part. I think it's always been that way.

In the early eighties I did a "somewhat controlled" test. An entire circle trip around the US using synthetic, and then an identical trip using a synthetic blend.

Fuel mileage: identical. Wear protection: who could say, I could fill a book with the anecdotal situations that convinced numerous mechanics of the benefits of synthetic, even back then. I believe the blend was just as good as full.

The test was in a '78 KW, 8V92TA Detroit, Allison tranny. I'd use blends now but still find it easier and not-that-much-more expensive to buy full synthetics.

BUT... off track from your original topic, although it's maybe somewhat interesting for the majority of us that are "frugal" in our energy usage.

Are there any plans to move your home off-grid? Or just your shops?

Phil
  • The Only Sarge
    Options
    I'd only disagree with the "anymore" part. I think it's always been that way.

In the early eighties I did a "somewhat controlled" test. An entire circle trip around the US using synthetic, and then an identical trip using a synthetic blend.

Fuel mileage: identical. Wear protection: who could say, I could fill a book with the anecdotal situations that convinced numerous mechanics of the benefits of synthetic, even back then. I believe the blend was just as good as full.

The test was in a '78 KW, 8V92TA Detroit, Allison tranny. I'd use blends now but still find it easier and not-that-much-more expensive to buy full synthetics.

BUT... off track from your original topic, although it's maybe somewhat interesting for the majority of us that are "frugal" in our energy usage.

Are there any plans to move your home off-grid? Or just your shops?

Phil

LOL....define what a "full synthetic" is? It isnt Mobil1 nor Pennzoil. Some Amsoil's still are PAO...but even they are moving to mostly a GRPIII lineup. There just isnt any advantage today that we can find in any of the tear downs/measurements/lab work nothing. Now I agree "years ago" it was a totally different story.....on my personal Chevy pickemup truck I run a amsoil bypass filter and usually Mobil EP for 15K.....my UOA's are pristine.

The solar project is supposed to be finished...big success......

I am finding myself designing a larger system on the back of napkins :)

I need solar rehab..............
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    Close, I was going to post this link on the Thomson Vocal Eliminator... I was curious how it worked and why sometimes it worked very well, and other times, not at all (on old cassette tapes).

-Bill "getting too predictable" B. :blush::blush:
    I'm pretty sure what the Vocal Eliminator did was to flip the phase on one channel and mix to mono. If the vocals were mixed center (same track equal volume on both channels), which is common practice, doing this canceled them out. If not, well, then it didn't work.

A problem is that some other stuff is traditionally mixed center, like bass and kick drum, so you lost those as well.