Tiny Turbine....getting smaller and smaller

Slappy
Slappy Solar Expert Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
thought this article was interesting.

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2011-05/installing-tiny-turbine-bloodstream-could-power-implanted-medical-devices-indefinitely

if it works out, it would be great for a lot of people!

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Tiny Turbine....getting smaller and smaller

what good would it do as you can't use it to power something like a pacemaker because i'm thinking that it perpetual in nature. can't pump to run generator to power pump thingy. what else would it be good for and it wouldn't be very much power for sure. to get any appreciable power more would be needed and could strain the heart by making it work harder.
  • Slappy
    Slappy Solar Expert Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

but they did admit that this needs more research, and admitted "in some cases it would eliminate for battery replacement"
    But this is a start and could lead to something in the future. I just like to keep an open mind. (on some things). But if something can involve out of this (or some thing in that nature), it can stop a lot of surgery for getting a battery replaced. Then again, this could come to a screeching halt? still thought it was an interesting article.
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭

you want your pacemaker to be 'grid tied'? Not me.

produces power as long as there is blood flow, sounds like you still need a battery back up in there somewhere.