Breakers

Options
I have a Sanyo panel/Enphase system going in, and had a question about breakers. The plan is to have 4 strings of 12 panels each, with each string going directly into 15A breakers in a subpanel at the array, from there through underground conduit to the utility required 60A disconnect, then into the house panel. Very faintly somewhere in the back of my feeble mind I seem to recall about using some different kind of breakers in the main panel when you are backfeeding something like solar power. Will I need anything other than standard breakers in either the subpanel or main panel of the house?

Thanks

P.S. I have an electrician doing this, but this will be a first for him as well.

Comments

• n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Breakers

The breaker is the same. But what must be added is a bracket to hold the breaker in place. This is to prevent the breaker from coming out of the buss bar.
  • XRinger
    XRinger Solar Expert Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Options

The thing I remember about the breakers, they have to be marked with a warning,
    about voltage being present on both sides of the breaker, even when open.

I guess that's just in case the anti-Island mode circuit fails..

Here's an old diagram of the simple basic hookup. Probably illegal in most towns by now. :roll:

MicroInverter.jpg
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Fatawan wrote: »
    I have a Sanyo panel/Enphase system going in, and had a question about breakers. The plan is to have 4 strings of 12 panels each, with each string going directly into 15A breakers in a subpanel at the array, from there through underground conduit to the utility required 60A disconnect, then into the house panel. Very faintly somewhere in the back of my feeble mind I seem to recall about using some different kind of breakers in the main panel when you are backfeeding something like solar power. Will I need anything other than standard breakers in either the subpanel or main panel of the house?

Thanks

P.S. I have an electrician doing this, but this will be a first for him as well.
    Some AC breakers have "line" and "load" stamped on them to indicate the direction of current flow. These cannot be backfed. If they are not stamped, they can be backfed. As to the necessity of the tiedown of backfed breakers, I have seen that in the code, but I also remember (which doesn't necessarily mean it's real) seeing somewhere an exception to that rule for PV. I know that PV breakers which are not tied down pass inspection.