Connecting panels

System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
Hi all, New guy on board here.
My question is, how do I wire panels together. I'm using 110 W panels. If using 3 panels... do I run 3 set of wires to the controller?

Do I tie the 3 sets together then run them to the controller?
Like I said ...... new guy. No elec experience. Thanks.

DAG

Comments

• Slappy
    Slappy Solar Expert Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Connecting panels

for 12 volt or 36 volt system?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Assuming the most likely scenario: three 12 Volt 110 Watt panels connected in parallel.

Each panel needs to be fused according to its current rating. This will probably mean one 10 Amp fuse each.

You can run separate wires for each panel, but that's probably a lot of wire. Usually you'd use a combiner box to house the fuses and connect the panels as close to the panels themselves as possible. Then run a larger gauge wire (so that it can handle the increased current potential and reduce the amount of Voltage drop) down to the charge controller.

Alternately you could wire them is series, use no fuses, use smaller wire, and feed a more expensive MPPT type charge controller the nominal 36 array Voltage. The controller would down-convert to proper system Voltage.

As always, the devil is in the details.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Sorry, 12 volt.
    Thanks for the reply.

Slappy wrote: »
    for 12 volt or 36 volt system?
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

"Four 175 Watt panels, OB MX60, 320 Amp hrs, OB 3524, Honda eu2000."

Thanks for the response. Can you clarify the above for me please.
    I take it these number are model numbers for some product?

Assuming the most likely scenario: three 12 Volt 110 Watt panels connected in parallel.

Each panel needs to be fused according to its current rating. This will probably mean one 10 Amp fuse each.

You can run separate wires for each panel, but that's probably a lot of wire. Usually you'd use a combiner box to house the fuses and connect the panels as close to the panels themselves as possible. Then run a larger gauge wire (so that it can handle the increased current potential and reduce the amount of Voltage drop) down to the charge controller.

Alternately you could wire them is series, use no fuses, use smaller wire, and feed a more expensive MPPT type charge controller the nominal 36 array Voltage. The controller would down-convert to proper system Voltage.

As always, the devil is in the details.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I believe, Outback mx 60 charge controller and an Outback 3.5 kWatt 24 volt inverter of some sort.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    I believe, Outback mx 60 charge controller and an Outback 3.5 kWatt 24 volt inverter of some sort.

-Bill

Oui! C'est une VFX 3524 au Outback Power Systems. :p

Yes! It is a VFX 3524 by Outback Power Systems. :p
  • Polaraco
    Polaraco Solar Expert Posts: 102 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to wake this one up again. It's the closest I could find to what I was searching for.

I need to know the best way for grounding. It's just a straight 24VDC system. I have 1600 watts coming which are going to get bolted to rails.

Can I just run a substantial loop from rail to rail? Or do I need to ground each panel? I am going to use a silicone dielectric grease on all connections.

Need to know so I can get my parts
  • Polaraco
    Polaraco Solar Expert Posts: 102 ✭✭✭✭
    Oui! C'est une VFX 3524 au Outback Power Systems. :p

Yes! It is a VFX 3524 by Outback Power Systems. :p

Outback is what I am using. A bit pricey, but they are the best and the support is the best.