Starting from scratch...

System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
I want to begin using solar panels to get some electricity. I intend on putting them on my roof. Unfortunately, my yard is shaded more than I would like, but on the roof, I would get more sun time. Someone please tell me how to start, what panel works best etc. I know nothing but I'm ready to start learning. I'd like to cut through the hype and get the real deal. I'd appreciate anyone's help.:confused:

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Starting from scratch...

First is location... If you do not have clear/sunny weather and shade free area for panels (normally, clear of shadows from 9am-3pm)---Solar Electric Panels may not be a good investment.

Next, how much power do you need (daily/monthly, by season).

And, do you want to
    • save money
    • go green
    • emergency backup power
    • an integrated "UPS" type system (solar + battery + grid tied)
    • Other reasons
    Next, if you want to save money and/or have a UPS/Backup type system, does your utility have programs to allow you to connect solar arrays to their utility power (many large utilities allow this--by law/regulations--many smaller co-ops do not).

In the end, solar power is not cheap and your best bet is to start with conservation... Insulation, new heating/AC system, replacing older appliances with smaller/more efficient/energy start. Use Laptop computers instead of large desk top systems (where possible). Turn off power when not in use.

In the end--Very roughly:
    • Grid Tied solar (no battery backup) around $0.15-$0.30 per kWH
    • Hybrid GT/Off Grid solar (battery backup) around $0.45-$0.75 per kWH
    • Off-Grid solar (cabin, no local utility power) $1.00-$2.00+ per kWH
    Depending on your local billing plans, Grid Tied solar is the most efficient and least costly, and can actually save you money (my Time of Use power plan in California runs from $0.09 to $0.50+ per kWH depending on season, time of day, how much power I use, etc.

In general--Conservation is the best answer and place to invest your time and money--After you have addresses all of the conservation projects--Then look at Solar PV.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset