Solar panels

SuperGreen
SuperGreen Registered Users Posts: 18
Next on my list is solar panels already have wind turbines..
I live in Northern BC and I do not use that much power but the winters are long cold and snowy What would be a good panel for me I want to get 10 panels 5 then add 5 more in the fall

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Solar panels

Panel choice is based largely on cost per Watt. Polycrystaline or monocrystaline doesn't make much difference in practical terms. Amorphous panels are far less efficient so you need a lot of "roof real estate". If you buy any reputable name brand panel it should be good for the long haul and the same model is likely to be available in sixth months' time. That is something to watch out for if you can't buy them all at once. Sometimes it is best to plan an expansion by knowing in advance that if you add more panels you may have to add another charge controller so there will be no trouble matching panel specs.

I know full well about Northern BC Winters. Also known as "Generator Season". :roll: When the whole day is only 6 hours long (even shorter in PG) and the "equivalent good sun" is practically nil hours. Even trackers don't help because the sun just isn't there. :cry:

But when it does shine and the snow is all around reflecting more light on the panels which are super-conducting because it's -40 outside .... In those moments you can see panel output exceed 100% of rating by far! That's when you have to be sure your Voc doesn't shoot up so high as to burn out the charge controller.
  • SuperGreen
    Panel choice is based largely on cost per Watt. Polycrystaline or monocrystaline doesn't make much difference in practical terms. Amorphous panels are far less efficient so you need a lot of "roof real estate". If you buy any reputable name brand panel it should be good for the long haul and the same model is likely to be available in sixth months' time. That is something to watch out for if you can't buy them all at once. Sometimes it is best to plan an expansion by knowing in advance that if you add more panels you may have to add another charge controller so there will be no trouble matching panel specs.

I know full well about Northern BC Winters. Also known as "Generator Season". :roll: When the whole day is only 6 hours long (even shorter in PG) and the "equivalent good sun" is practically nil hours. Even trackers don't help because the sun just isn't there. :cry:

But when it does shine and the snow is all around reflecting more light on the panels which are super-conducting because it's -40 outside .... In those moments you can see panel output exceed 100% of rating by far! That's when you have to be sure your Voc doesn't shoot up so high as to burn out the charge controller.

great thank you I do have a wind turbine and i am getting two more that may help a little I have rad about panels producing 235 per panel is that true
  • Cariboocoot
    SuperGreen wrote: »
    great thank you I do have a wind turbine and i am getting two more that may help a little I have rad about panels producing 235 per panel is that true

A 235 Watt panel will, on occasion, produce 235 Watts. There are even bigger panels now: http://www.solar-electric.com/sosu250wa.html

Be advised that except for certain "double-sided" panels the increased output is due mainly to an increase in physical size. All crystaline panels have about the same efficiency per sq. meter, and the big ones are sometimes a logistical problem; higher shipping costs, not as easy to put up.
  • SuperGreen
    A 235 Watt panel will, on occasion, produce 235 Watts. There are even bigger panels now: http://www.solar-electric.com/sosu250wa.html

Be advised that except for certain "double-sided" panels the increased output is due mainly to an increase in physical size. All crystaline panels have about the same efficiency per sq. meter, and the big ones are sometimes a logistical problem; higher shipping costs, not as easy to put up.

First i enjoy your replies and love your signature how true how true wish more applied that simple principal

any good places close to Prince George that sell quality panels don't need the most expensive just quality and durability close to 200 per panel I just don't use that much power other than my plant and i have my propane gen for that at 2 bucks an hour it works fantastic now if i could get a great high pressure well pump that was not 220 i would get very excited.... I use lots of hot water so in the winter my wood stove is incredible for that but i have to start the gen a hour before i bottle to get hot water to wash the bottles...

cheers
    john
  • Cariboocoot

In all honesty I've yet to find a solar retailer in Canada that I'd recommend to anyone. The place I bought mine from is out of business, and they weren't that good. :roll: If you were buying a lot of panel, it would be worth the effort to bring them in from the states.

You can Google search for solar panels BC Canada and get a few hits. There's three or four in the Province and a few outside. None too exciting, especially on price. I doubt you'll find anything suitable for $200 anywhere. The 700 Watts on my roof represent about $3000, just so you know. Maybe someone else like Westbranch has a lead?
  • SuperGreen
    In all honesty I've yet to find a solar retailer in Canada that I'd recommend to anyone. The place I bought mine from is out of business, and they weren't that good. :roll: If you were buying a lot of panel, it would be worth the effort to bring them in from the states.

You can Google search for solar panels BC Canada and get a few hits. There's three or four in the Province and a few outside. None too exciting, especially on price. I doubt you'll find anything suitable for $200 anywhere. The 700 Watts on my roof represent about $3000, just so you know. Maybe someone else like Westbranch has a lead?

I meant 200 watts per panel ..........i am super cheap but i knew that 350 to 500 per panel would be the best i could do.....been looking on ebay but would rather buy from a reputable store I go to Vancouver Edmonton and Calgary more often than i care to will see what is available.... but if the price was right and our dollar stays high i will bring them in from the US try to buy Canadian when i can and the shipping and service can be overwhelming f not careful
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

There is a store here in Williams lake, Solar Eagle http://www.solareagle.com/orderinfo.html. Prices can be high, but it is all relative when you add in shipping etc. AB prices will be less as no HST... just PST. also a place in Sask, http://www.solar-systems.ca/solarpanels.php?gclid=CNS9nfmX3IwCFQLxYAodnkFfZw , they seem to be a bit cheaper.

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • SuperGreen
    westbranch wrote: »
    There is a store here in Williams lake, Solar Eagle http://www.solareagle.com/orderinfo.html. Prices can be high, but it is all relative when you add in shipping etc. AB prices will be less as no HST... just PST. also a place in Sask, http://www.solar-systems.ca/solarpanels.php?gclid=CNS9nfmX3IwCFQLxYAodnkFfZw , they seem to be a bit cheaper.

Eric

thank you only three hours away...and i know a cuple very cute cowgirls close by :D
    sometime a little more to have a close vender pays off

thank you for the post
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

There are a number of ways to pump water with smaller battery based pumps. Shuffle 9300 submersible comes to mind, will pump ~_2-5 gmp drawing ~150 watts, and will pump 60 psi easily.

http://www.solar-electric.com/sh93susowapu.html

Tony
  • SuperGreen
    icarus wrote: »
    There are a number of ways to pump water with smaller battery based pumps. Shuffle 9300 submersible comes to mind, will pump ~_2-5 gmp drawing ~150 watts, and will pump 60 psi easily.

http://www.solar-electric.com/sh93susowapu.html

Tony

excellent thank you the more i learn the more i love it..............i have been off the grid since Feb when i hydro came out to shut off the power it was -22 he could not believe i said do it....a couple hickups but would not change it for the World...now if i can run my bottled water company with no gen i would love it.....all good things com to those who refuse to quit 8)