roof install

Options
ws9876
ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
I dont want to do a tilted rack on my roof because of wind and snow..but came up with an idea,, a fully enclosed tilted box just situated about half way on the roof that had the correct tilt and an arched top,across the top, with smooth sheet metal to shed the snow. I figure the enclosed box firmly attached to the roof will stay put. I could put it right on top of the tar paper.I will take off the corrugatd metal in that rectangle.
Do you think this will be ok?? anyone do this and have pics..??

Comments

• SCharles
    SCharles Solar Expert Posts: 123 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: roof install

I'd want to build a cricket above it to divert water to each side.
  • Frxddy
    Frxddy Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Why do you fear a tilted rack & snow? I'd install a proper tilted rack & think nothing of it.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

as far as snow goes a tilted pv will handle that the best as it allows it to slide off.

as far as wind goes the orientation does not matter as the wind can act upon it no matter if flat or tilted.

the key is a strong mount in any case.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

Depending on where array is on roof--it near bottom of tilted roof--an ice/snow slide could come down the roof and impact under the solar array and cause lots of expensive damage...

Don't listen to me--It does not snow where I live. :roll:

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Frxddy
    Frxddy Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BB. wrote:
    ice/snow slide could come down the roof and impact under the solar array

I guess I'd agree with that IF you had a metal roof. Asphalt or fiberglass shingles, naaaa, wouldn't happen.
  • niel
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    Depending on where array is on roof--it near bottom of tilted roof--an ice/snow slide could come down the roof and impact under the solar array and cause lots of expensive damage...

Don't listen to me--It does not snow where I live. :roll:

-Bill

bill,
    do you think everywhere it snows it is cause for an avalanche concern for roof mounted pvs? even if it did i don't believe it could damage the pvs unless you'd have ice sliding down the roof to hit the pvs. in any case i recommend mounting pvs at least 6 inches off of the roof. if snow can build at the base of the pvs because of it sliding off of the pvs then it should be mounted much higher above the roof. i'm sure maine can easily get snowfalls exceeding 6 inches and what slides off of the pvs will add to the original 6 inches already on the roof and shadow the bottom of the pvs. avalanching snows on a roof are not the concern.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    niel wrote: »
    even if it did i don't believe it could damage the pvs unless you'd have ice sliding down the roof to hit the pvs.
    That was part of my concerns. Snow/ice hitting the back of the panels.

Obviously, roof construction, local weather conditions, etc. all need to be taken into account.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    Options

Here's a silly idea. For Winter, Install snap rings around the aluminum framing of the panel, and then 'snap' a covering onto the back of the panels, stretching it taut with some fake leather, therefore keeping the underside of the panels protected during the winter.
  • TheBackRoads
    TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭
    Options

I had no issues with snow under my panels in the winter.. not sure why that would even be an issue.. heck my panles are just sitting up there! working on a mount, no worries.
  • niel
    Options
    I had no issues with snow under my panels in the winter.. not sure why that would even be an issue.. heck my panles are just sitting up there! working on a mount, no worries.

just to clarify i do agree with you if you are referring to it sliding under from behind the pvs, but if it builds up in front of it from sliding off of the pv then that could be a problem with pv shading.
  • TheBackRoads
    TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭
    Options

Indeed, and I do have that issue. Just gotta be sure to pull the snow off the panels and usually the sun will melt the rest around it.