Should I buy in?

Options
Frxddy
Frxddy Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭✭✭
A local solar installer came & looked my place over for a grid tie 7k PV system. A few days later he emailed me a proposal. I'd appreciate any comments and opinions. Tell me what you'd change and/or if it seems like a fair price.
It will attach to the 5/12 pitch asphalt shingle roof with L brackets and "some sort of flashing". His company has not been using flashing. I told him they have a good reputation and in my opinion if they want to keep it they should change and start using flashing on all installations.
In two or three months they will be using Canadian Solar panels. Are they worth waiting for, or if I do this should I lock in while they are using the Conergy?
I am already wired for grid tie and have two meters on my house. (windmill no longer in use)

Here it is:

(30) Conergy P 235 watt photovoltaic panels (www.conergy.us)
(30) Enphase microinverters (www.enphaseenergy.com)
(1) Enphase Envoy Energy Management Unit
1) Enphase Enlighten web-based monitoring service (1 year)
Powerrail roof mounting system
All hardware, disconnects, cable, and labor to provide a code-compliant, NABCEP-
certified installation.

Price: $4.87 a watt installed, before rebates ($34,371. After rebates, $22,060)

Comments

• solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Should I buy in?

Prices are trending down currently and could be even lower in a few months - who knows? but Canadian Solar modules ought to be less expensive than Conergy if you shop around. Flashing in an inclement climate is a wise decision. Personally, I don't trust Enphase.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options

I would contact your roofer and have him review the installation proposal.

I did not do that with mine and it was a very simple drill hole, caulk, put bolt down through foot.

My roof has not leaked in almost 6 years--But, knowing what I do now--I would have at least brought my roofer into the discussions. (in installed before I became a member of this forum).

I would also get a cost on a central inverter installation (if practical for your home). I have a garage that stays pretty cool in the winter (shaded by trees, and I insulated/installed double pane windows). The inverter is not exposed to sun/weather and I hope, it will last longer because of it.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options

Google the name of the company and see if you find any comments about them.
  • Frxddy
    Frxddy Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the replies. More are welcome! The "do a Google search" tip is a good thought. I did that and found two things: One: The have done over 2,500 installations in Maine & NH and two: I find no complaints. That's a good thing!

Part of the reason I like the idea of Enphase is that they are silent. I'm one of those odd people that can't live with a Hummmmmmmm. I have been in a couple of places that had inverters humming in the basement. It would drive me nuts!

Waiting may be a wise option. I see a start up company that is going to make micro inverters that use film capacitors rather than electrolytic caps. They are supposed to be "nearly forever". But... if you're going to do it, you gotta do it sometime! Enphase has sold over half a million units. It seems they are here to stay. Perhaps I'll put in 25% of my needs & wait a year.

Thanks for your help!

Fred
  • mr.radon
    mr.radon Solar Expert Posts: 158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Your system will be very similar to mine.
    I might check to see if the 235W panels are best for the 190W Enphase. Might save a few bucks if you have them spec for 220W or 225W panels. Enphase will clip power from the panels at 190-199W. See the white paper Enphase released. Being in Maine the 235W panels might work for you. Here in Seattle with a cool spring I've seen the clipping a lot.

Also, might be worth your while to use NREL's PV Watts V1 to calculate your power generation.

Also, you might be able to save money with a stand alone inverter, Enphase works real well with shading and small arrays.