recomendation for small system?

castilloj
castilloj Solar Expert Posts: 208
hello guys , im trying to figure out what kind of system to get.
Im needing to power an internet modem/router and a laptop, maybe 2 light bulbs.
Iam in haiti so i will need a inverter that can withstand the humidity and dust. also i would love to be able to not have to hook up too many batteries.
We run a 150k generator during the daytime so charging the batteries would not be a problem.
Thanks

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: recomendation for small system?

All calculations start with the loads. Add up all your loads, and the duration of those loads.

Then you can begin to get an idea of how big a system you will need.

What does the lap top draw, for how long?

How many light bulbs, for how long?

Etc, etc, etc.

Welcome to the forum, and keep in touch,

Tony
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

You need to work out some preliminary details. Like how many Watts all your stuff will draw and how long you'll want to use it off the batteries. The total Watts and Watt hours daily gives the info necessary to determine how big an inverter is required and what size battery bank you'll need to power it.

As for an inverter operating in a harsh climate ... As far as I know only Outback makes sealed inverters. A "small" one: http://www.solar-electric.com/fx2012t.html
    Unfortunately there's nothing small about the price. :cry:

It might be more cost effective to buy multiple less expensive inverters and keep the "back up" units sealed until the one in use fails.

From your initial wants it doesn't look like there's a need for a very large system. Probably something like the Morningstar 300 pure sine would do: http://www.solar-electric.com/mosu300wasiw.html
  • icarus

I think the Suresine 300 is a "sealed" unit. It has no air vents, and no fan. The case itself serves as a heat sink.

Tony
  • Peter_V
    Peter_V Solar Expert Posts: 226 ✭✭✭
    castilloj wrote: »
    hello guys , im trying to figure out what kind of system to get.
    Im needing to power an internet modem/router and a laptop, maybe 2 light bulbs.
    Iam in haiti so i will need a inverter that can withstand the humidity and dust. also i would love to be able to not have to hook up too many batteries.
    We run a 150k generator during the daytime so charging the batteries would not be a problem.
    Thanks

Why not try running all of that directly from the battery? There are probably car chargers available for your laptop and I'll bet the router can run on 12V or if it's say 5V you can get a 5V power supply that runs off a cigarette lighter outlet (look for USB power supplies for cars).
    It's trivial to find LEDs and/or fluorescent lights designed to run on 12V, they make them for RVs, cars, trucks, etc.

Cheaper than buying an inverter and more efficient. Plus none of this stuff requires cooling fans so humidity will not be as much of an issue.
  • castilloj

Im thinking using 2 amps from 11 pm to 6 am. all i have here for batteries are DEka 12 v batteries and Trojans 12 v batteries.
  • Cariboocoot

Well 2 Amps over 7 hours is 14 Amp hours, so the minimum battery size for that would be 28 Amp hours. But there's always losses due to inefficiencies so ... pushing that number up towards 50 Amp hours or so would probably be a good idea.

Like Peter said, there's a lot of 12 Volt equipment available through the automotive/RV market that can eliminate the need for an inverter with its inherent power uses and conversion loss. I don't know how available such things would be in your area, though.
  • castilloj

Im really leaning towards the morningstar Suresine inverter. Im having this installed for someone here. and im trying to make it as easy as possible. Pretty much the big generator shuts down at 11 pm and im wanting this system to automatically start working . for batteries ill only be able to probably get the trojans T-105 batteries or similar.
    How many batteries would you suggest i get?
  • Cariboocoot

Just realized I was thinking DC only for some reason. If that 2 Amps is on the AC side - that's 20 Amps (roughly) on the DC side. That would be 140 Amps and the need for 280 Amp hours of battery minimum.

We need to get it straight which side of the inverter we're looking at for Amp consumption, or do it in Watts.

One set of the T105's is 225 Amp hours - enough for (112 * 12) 1344 Watt hours at 50% DOD. That's quite a bit of power in its own right, but you will need to double that if your consumption will be 240 Watts for 7 hours.

Details! They can be so frustrating! :cry:
  • castilloj

Also what do you think if i purchased a kipor 1000w generator as a backup?
  • Cariboocoot
    castilloj wrote: »
    Also what do you think if i purchased a kipor 1000w generator as a backup?

Chinese made.
    Do a search for Honeywell generator on this forum. dwh had some real adventures with his.
    There is also a generator thread here: http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=9774&highlight=honeywell+generator

Mostly I find cheap generators aren't inexpensive; they're cheap.
  • icarus

My neighbour bought a Kipor, trying to tell me it was just like an Eu 1000. Three years later, it wouldn't hold voltage or frequency.

Tony
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

I heard Kipor got sued and had to pay Honda for cloning their design. I think that's where the "Kipor is just like Honda" myth originated.

I did replace the Honeywell with a Champion 42431. I should do a post on it.
  • castilloj

On the Suresine Inverter , does it charge batteries also?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

No.

You would need a separate ac battery charter.

Unless you are asking about back driving with an enphase micro inverter.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • castilloj

Ok so i decided on the Magnum MM1524AE aswell as 4 trojan T105 batteries.
  • castilloj

hey guys , sorry for bringing this back up , but I'm in the usa for a couple of weeks and i noticed this product and i was wondering what you guys bought about it.
    Xantrex Freedom Hf 1800 Inverter Charger

I was also looking into the 400 w battery backups. I'm just needing to power on a modem and router for 6 hours every night.

Thanks
  • Seven
    Seven Solar Expert Posts: 292 ✭✭

The Freedom is not a pure sine wave inverter. Not really made for sensitive electronics. That size(1800w) and the price of $350 compared to their prosine of the same wattage and a $1000.00 pricetag.

http://www.xantrex.com/power-products/inverter-chargers/freedom-hf.aspx
  • castilloj

what I'm basically wanting is like a battery UPS , if power goes out i want power to last more than 30 minutes. With the system I'm looking at I'm looking into adding 2 trojan AGM batteries.