Missouri Wind and Solar Turbine, anyone try them?

Comments

• mtjag
    mtjag Registered Users Posts: 32 ✭✭✭
    Re: Missouri Wind and Solar Turbine, anyone try them?

Good to hear this on Missouri Wind as I was getting ready to order the 800watt unit for my 48voit system. I was concerned about the fact they offered no braking mechanism, but I like the simple design and their claim of low wind generation with 9-11 blades. I just need to find the right solution pretty quick.:confused:
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭

When they talk about low wind speeds and extra blades they neglect to mention that there is very little power available to harvest. They are trying to be tricky to sucker you in.

Betzs law sets the potential (maximum) - many of the 'extra blade' bunch seem to think they can beat science by doing a rain dance or with angel dust.

Russ
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Without brakes and/or furling, many wind turbines will self destruct in during wind storms.

In the Netherlands, they have learned decades ago that a turbine needs several methods to prevent over-speeding. That is one reason they have been selling so many large turbines around the world.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • russ

I went back and found the power curve. These guys are real cute - they provide output vs RPM.

If the showed output vs wind speed then the potential customer would see what they would really get under most conditions at most locations - nothing!

Russ
  • MisterB
    MisterB Solar Expert Posts: 156 ✭✭
    russ wrote: »
    I went back and found the power curve. These guys are real cute - they provide output vs RPM.

If the showed output vs wind speed then the potential customer would see what they would really get under most conditions at most locations - nothing!

Russ

This is new. Last month, they had power vs. wind speed charts that had the turbines reaching their rated power in 50-100mph winds--with no furling needed! These are winds that furling mechanisms are designed to protect your tubine from. Would you buy a car without brakes?
  • russ

Maybe they should name the model hurricane or Katrina rather than general - as it reaches rated power only during a hurricane.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

WATCH OUT BIG TIME-Missouri Wind and Solar's PMA"S DO NOT PRODUCE. The company will not answer emails, phones etc after you purchase from them. THEY DO NOT BACK THEIR PRODUCT and will treat you like C#%@& It is all a scam unless you live in 50 mph winds all the time!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I Lost about $1500 with MW&S. They do not back thier product- Nothing but junk period.
    If you do not believe me then I will sell you 2 turbines I have from them. They do not produce. At least I am honest with you:grr:grr
  • System2

I have been trying to get the truth out about MW&S. I have purchased 2 PMAs turbines from them and they do not produce anything like they claim. MW&S has blocked me from the reviews on their sight and have blocked me from You Tube. Don't take my word only,
    LOOK AROUND- You will not find anyone that is using this product and say it is good. MW&S is spending alot of time trying to keep negative reviews from posting. But it is hard to find negative except on ebay where he can not block neg comments.
    TRUST ME- I have over a $1100 invested in this company PMA's and they do not produce and MW&S will not back there product either. This review is now based on principle. I can not stand companys who take advantage of others when we are looking for solutions due to the economy. Pass it on
    He might block me but I can make my own vidio with his product and show really what MW&S products will really do. Look for it.:grr
  • System2
    mtjag wrote: »
    Good to hear this on Missouri Wind as I was getting ready to order the 800watt unit for my 48voit system. I was concerned about the fact they offered no braking mechanism, but I like the simple design and their claim of low wind generation with 9-11 blades. I just need to find the right solution pretty quick.:confused:

I would go to solar I made my mistake by buying MW&S products and they donot work like they claim. I am switching to solar. I know to many people with this system and they love it.
  • BB.

Seaeagle,

Do you have any good experiences with other wind/solar setups?

I, personally, am not a fan of small wind--but I like to hear about any positive results too.

Just lately, there have been a few threads by people looking for wind turbine recommendations.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2

Hey guys, here's the Mapawatt review of PMA wind turbines and Missouri wind and solar. Basically, I think Missouri Wind and Solar is making claims that their turbines can't back up. I would stay away from PMA turbines and spend your time on solar!
  • mtfalk64
    mtfalk64 Registered Users Posts: 6

Missouri Wind and Solar Turbines are [not good]. I have two 11 blade, 1500 watt, 24 volt AC units and they can have them back. Yep they spin and they spin but I get most of the time 8 to 12 volts and maybe on the high side 14 volts for about 15 seconds. Oh after email and email which I will add they never answer all questions that you ask. But anyways they determined that they sent me faulting blades and told me to send them back so they could twist them correctly. OMG if you could see them now. Imagine the mounting edge is twisted correctly then going into the middle of the blade it flattens out then coming to the tips they are twisted like the mounting edge. Looks like a mangled piece of crap

DO NOT BUY FROM THEM. If you want to buy, buy mine, I will save you money.

I wish I would have just purchased more solar panels. I have six 200 watt units and I could have bought six more units for what I paid for MW&S [...].

Mike
  • NewYorkMan
    NewYorkMan Registered Users Posts: 19

I just hope this thread helps others from getting ripped off by Missouri Wind and Solar.
  • System2

Buyer beware of this shady business! These guys make a living off of scamming how great their products are and then won't make good on their promises. A family member dropped $4k with these hucksters a month & a half ago and when asked to replace a faulty inverter was basically told it was their own tough luck. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM.

Let it be said, that the ONLY reason these guys haven't been ran out of town on a rail is that most locals around here aren't big into alternative energy. People here in the Ozarks are tough as nails and have very little $, heaven help them when they run into the wrong guy.
  • Thom
    Thom Solar Expert Posts: 196 ✭✭✭

"I would go to solar I made my mistake by buying MW&S products and they donot work like they claim. I am switching to solar. I know to many people with this system and they love it."

That's what I did . Happiest day of my 23 years off grid . No noise and 400w of power in full sun . Batteries charged before noon . 25 year warranty .
    Off grid since 1984. 430w of panel, 300w suresine , 4 gc batteries 12v system, Rogue mpt3024 charge controller , air breeze windmill, Mikita 2400w generator . Added 2@ 100w panel with a midnight brat 
  • NewYorkMan
    NewYorkMan Registered Users Posts: 19

Man, looks like another guy got scammed out of several thousand dollars by Missouri Wind and Solar. Won't be too much longer until the Missouri District Attorney shows up at Missouri Wind and Solar's door step. 1600 Watt wind turbines with 28 inch blades! Yeah right!
  • Polaraco
    Polaraco Solar Expert Posts: 102 ✭✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    Easy folks... Inaccurately quoting Sgt. Friday; "...just the facts Ma'am".

I have no other information other than what is posted here and data-sheets/reviews/etc.

It would be difficult if I or the other Moderators had to edit for opinions when none of us are first party to any of these issues.

Take care,
    -Bill

Hi Bill. . .Been a while

I just breezed this thread, found it on Google. I have to say the 25% output is generous. Most people are actually seeing allot less and it's getting worse. Missouri Wind, (Proven BTW) is buying Chinese PMA's rated to 150 watts and reselling them as 500/800/1500/1600 output. Another stunt he pulled was by buying a bunch of rejects which were poorly engineered for pennies and selling them for top dollar. Either way, I am a victim of one or the other make. I suspect the latter the way these work. Recently because of the owners actions, a bunch of us have organized and complained to the Attorney General's office who is launching an investigation now. I have a letter from them.

I replaced mine with Thermodyne units and saw 3 times the output on smaller units, in lower winds. Example. 2- 1500 watters produced 4 amps in a 20 MPH wind. But 2-500 Thermodynes produced 12 amps in 11 to 12 MPH winds. Go to YouTube and check out my videos. The other interesting video I did is where I am comparing 2 PMA's, one MW's to a Thermodyne on a bench. Pretty hard to argue with.

I have to say, the facts are as you see them, or at least for what I read back on. Just my .02
  • XRinger
    XRinger Solar Expert Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

12 amps at 48 volts is 576 watts.. But 12 amps at 0.5 volts is 6 watts.
    Please tell us how many volts and amps are being produced. (Or even better, use watts).

I hate watching videos of amp meters. By themselves, tell me little about actual power (aka Watts).
  • BB.

Welcome back Polaraco,

I was trying to keep the personal attacks/bad language down. Those are what are difficult for us to moderate.

And we all understand that there are many folks out there that have lost a lot of money to this and other wind systems manufacturers (virtually becoming wind scams). Nobody is happy after sinking several grand into a wind system and finding that it only produces a fraction of the energy that was advertised--And they breakdown within a year or so.

Polaraco, please feel free to start another thread about your successful wind turbine project. We do not get too many of those around here. I am sure that many will find it useful and educational.

-Bill
  • Polaraco
    XRinger wrote: »
    12 amps at 48 volts is 576 watts.. But 12 amps at 0.5 volts is 6 watts.
    Please tell us how many volts and amps are being produced. (Or even better, use watts).

I hate watching videos of amp meters. By themselves, tell me little about actual power (aka Watts).

OOPS Sorry Bout that

My bus is 24 Volt. You know? I never thought about including that into all my comparison videos
  • Polaraco
    BB. wrote: »
    Welcome back Polaraco,

I was trying to keep the personal attacks/bad language down. Those are what are difficult for us to moderate.

And we all understand that there are many folks out there that have lost a lot of money to this and other wind systems manufacturers (virtually becoming wind scams). Nobody is happy after sinking several grand into a wind system and finding that it only produces a fraction of the energy that was advertised--And they breakdown within a year or so.

Polaraco, please feel free to start another thread about your successful wind turbine project. We do not get too many of those around here. I am sure that many will find it useful and educational.

-Bill

Hi Bill

Ahhhh I missed that. There certainly has been allot of language on YouTube from tha guy. He's sick.

I have been around. just been busy. Just didn't have anything to say I guess.

I guess I could put the thread together for you. I'm pleased with the outcome of mine. Now I need to scrap up the bucks for 2000 watts of Solar.
  • poonedagain
    poonedagain Registered Users Posts: 2
    machineman wrote: »
    I'm looking for a small wind turbine >400w to compliment my off-grid solar system. I found "Missouri Wind and Solar" Turbines online and wondering if anyone has any experince with them?

Here's my findings from online searches of other turbines:

Windmax: Has good performance but terrible support. Haven't found any MTBF data yet.

TLG: Good performance and support but out of my price range.

mws is a joke please visit my youtube chanel poonedagain.thier pmas dont put out anything near the watts thy advertise!!!!!
  • poonedagain
    poonedagain Registered Users Posts: 2

hey this is my video cool.i have 3 so far watch them all.

Poonedagain's Youtube Channel [I think; fixed link to point to his videos directly--Link added by -BB]
  • Polaraco
    hey this is my video cool.i have 3 so far watch them all.

Poonedagain's Youtube Channel [I think; fixed link to point to his videos directly--Link added by -BB]

There goes the neighborhood
    Hi Brian!

I been bad lately guys
  • Polaraco
    Thom wrote: »
    "I would go to solar I made my mistake by buying MW&S products and they donot work like they claim. I am switching to solar. I know to many people with this system and they love it."

That's what I did . Happiest day of my 23 years off grid . No noise and 400w of power in full sun . Batteries charged before noon . 25 year warranty .

Tom
    You can check out Thermodyne. http://www.hydrogenappliances.com Brian and i noth use them. I have 4 of them now, totalling 2000 watts. I have seen 50 amps so far, but that was in gusts. I am in a low wind area. If you are in low wind, wait about a month. There is something I will be Beta testing for them. MW was just a joke. Don't give up heart
  • Polaraco
    NewYorkMan wrote: »
    Man, looks like another guy got scammed out of several thousand dollars by Missouri Wind and Solar. Won't be too much longer until the Missouri District Attorney shows up at Missouri Wind and Solar's door step. 1600 Watt wind turbines with 28 inch blades! Yeah right!

I have a bunch too. Brian got pooned after I did. His tower is the same as mine, but I have 4 of them up. Happy now. I'm going for 2000 watts of solar now. I am hoping to have close to 3000 by the end of the summer. Doing shadow studies now. I', definitely going to have some on the back of my house verticle. I get 3 hours of strong late sun and 4 in the summer
  • Polaraco
    Originally Posted by machineman

I'm looking for a small wind turbine >400w to compliment my off-grid solar system. I found "Missouri Wind and Solar" Turbines online and wondering if anyone has any experince with them?

Here's my findings from online searches of other turbines:

Windmax: Has good performance but terrible support. Haven't found any MTBF data yet.

TLG: Good performance and support but out of my price range.

Brian and I both went Thermodyne. Read back. we're both happy. Missouri Wind is going to sue me. I see it coming
  • 20yrDCman
    20yrDCman Registered Users Posts: 23

Missouri wind and solar has a bunch of happy customers including me. Yes I've seen the negative videos out there but they are all from the same couple people with diferent user names including some competitors. I had a Falcon mach3 mounted on my roof that I loved. They let me change out the pma to their new dual which still worked with the falcon blades and the output was doubling. Yeah I think 2800 watts was achieved in a little higher winds but it'll do it. I can't say enough how much I love their products and performance. They're well built too and made in the USA. I checked into their reviews on ebay before I purchased which was great. I really enjoy Jeff's how to videos and he was really the first one.
    I have it connected in parallel but series connection allows you to double the voltage output when the winds are low or for stepping to higher voltages. The only thing I didn't like is they didn't label which output wire was for higher voltage but was able to figure that out by letting it spin and checking which one made more voltage.
  • 20yrDCman
    20yrDCman Registered Users Posts: 23

I had a falcon turbine that I upgraded to the dual with twice power. I really like it. Like I said before they have a lot of happy customers but it's the old saying "bad word spreads faster than a good one".
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

if they do have happy customers you must all live on the same block. does it just happen to be the same block as missouri wind and solar is located?

they are non bbb accredited with a d+ rating. that's a worse rating than sun electronics currently has at b+ and their accreditation was revoked. glad you're happy with them.

i guess in all fairness i should mention our host, naws, has accreditation and has an a+ rating.:D
This discussion has been closed.