Saying hello!

Options
ronc89021
ronc89021 Registered Users Posts: 9
Not sure if this is the right place to do this or not...but my momma always taught me good manners was to introduce myself when gathering with new people.

So I just wanted to say hello to everyone.

I am a coal fired power plant control operator that has recently developed a real interest in home based power production.
We had an experience a couple Augusts ago and the power to our neighborhood was out for 19hrs...well as we were sitting there in the dark, I just couldn't stop thinking how stupid I felt being a "power producer" and didn't even have a backup generator at my house. Needless to say I changed that quickly but as time has gone on, I have realized how difficult and expensive it would be to run my gas generator for any real length of time.
So with that, in mind, I stared reading about solar and wind technology. I have become very excited about it and am so happy to have found this forum. I hope it's okay to have a "coal burner" in your group!

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,440 admin
    Options
    Re: Saying hello!

Actually, many of us are guys in the technical fields... And we have absolutely no social graces (at least my wife keeps telling me that).

Welcome to the forum and role up your sleeves. You will find lots of opinions and even some help once in a while. ;)

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Welcome to the forum, we welcome all comers. I think you will find, that if your sole interest is providing emergency power when the grid goes down, that PV is very expensive, and a generator is a much cheaper alternative.

A battery based solar system will cost about twice as much as a comparable grid tie solar system with about one half te performance, leading to ener coats ~4 times for a kwh of power.

Do your homework, ask questions before you commit to buying any hardware.

Once again, welcome forum,

Tony
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Of course if you want "quiet power" you can skip the solar panels and use a battery/inverter set-up for essential needs overnight, then recharge with the generator during the day.

And we promise not to stone you with lumps of coal. :p
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Welcome, and watch out for the moderator types, they only have accurate opinions, and are never wrong! :p
  • SolarLurker
    SolarLurker Solar Expert Posts: 122 ✭✭
    Options

Don't let folks scare you off about emergency back up solar. Take a look at ac coupled systems using sunny boys and sunny islands.
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Where would we be without coal??? We need coal too. I am from Pa. Lots of people think if you are from Pa. or WV. that you must be a coal miner. Not so but there are miners in parts of both states. So burn that coal as the miners need jobs too.
    Solarvic
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I may not always be right,,, but I am never wrong!

Tony
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

saying hello back and welcome. we don't require that people introduce themselves, but we don't mind when they do either.

we won't crucify you for being involved with a coal fired generation plant lest we be hypocrites as we burn gasoline in our cars. i too am from pa and i can say that much of the area where i am has been mined of its coal for about a century and a half now. unfortunately they didn't fill in the mines when they left them and we still see an occasional subsidence issue and i've even seen a small mine fire seeing the discharge of gasses that are hot and very noticeable against a snow covered landscape. that was when i was young though and since then i hope that it was extinguished or choked off as i don't frequent those wooded areas as an adult.

as to your power you can see there are many aspects to it and not just a generator. generators are good to a point, but are also noisy and do not always switch over quickly for autostart types during an outage. gasoline doesn't store well either so it must be cycled and stabilized if for longer periods of time.

enter a battery backups type of a system with sine wave type inverter/charger that will automatically switch quickly and quietly, but must have batteries to work. sooner or later those batteries will reach the 50% dod point that we don't recommend they go below so your stored power is limited that way too. for long term use conservation helps to extend that use and can be backed up with a generator as well as solar and can be as elaborate as you make it or can afford. i will emphasize the conservation point as you won't be a limitless utility. unfortunately my other half doesn't understand that point or the word conserve.:cry::roll::p
  • ronc89021
    Options

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!
    I am not afraid to admit my ignorance to all the possibilities with renewable energy.
    Costs will matter but I am approaching this from an angle of “what would we need if the power were out for longer than a day or two”? We have already started our assessment of how we can reduce our overall power uses.

If I’ve made any mistakes so far, it was to purchase a wind turbine on a spur of the moment from a farm store. I really like the idea of it and all, but it produces power based on 12v’s and I’m starting to wonder if a 24v system might be a better choice. Other than that, I have decided to save and read so I don’t make too many unnecessary equipment expenditures….Once again thanks for welcoming me aboard!
  • BB.
    Options

Cutting power needs back to a single refrigerator + a few lights + small radio/TV and possible well pump--You can do OK with a Honda eu2000i (1,600 watt) inverter generator or equivalent and run it on a couple gallons of gas a day... All of a sudden, 20 gallons of gas (storage with fuel stabilizer rotated once a year into the car, siphoning a the gas tanks of a couple family cars, etc.) is real practical to run for 10 days (basically a camping like existence). By that time the fresh food is gone and you will be looking for longer term living issues. Genset is only 50 lbs and very portable... A large solar system is not portable at all. And a small solar system does not produce that much energy.

Solar PV for purely emergency use is expensive (system is expensive, batteries still need replacing every 3-8 years or so typically). You can run a few optional loads off of solar to keep things exercised and get back a few kWH per day from your investment.

Or you can look at a full Hybrid GT/Off Grid system. Basically a giant UPS with solar power, generator backup, that can do Grid Tied solar back to the utility so you can use the power for your whole home. Very practical and almost cost effective--especially if you have lots of outages or risks of weeks of blackouts (rural area, ice storms, hurricanes, etc.).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ronc89021
    Options

Thanks Bill! I do have 2 Honda eu2000i units and the device to wire them together. I will go through the ordeal of keeping my 10 gallons of gas rotated each year. But I'm thinking I like the idea of a system that will basically run the lights and frig and maybe an outlet or two for TV/laptop computer etc.
    I don't want to sound too "apocalyptic" or anything, but the way the world is going, I like the idea that if I needed to, we could supply some very basic power needs for a long time...I guess that is really closer to my thoughts theses days. And I like the idea of running say some lights and an outlet to run say the TV all the time so the batteries are being used and charged.
  • BB.
    Options

I understand... You are in Nevada, so even a smallish system can supply a lot of energy year round.

A good way to start is use a Kill-a-Watt meter (or equivalent) and measure the daily loads of what you want to keep going...

Typically:

1 kWH per day for refrigerator
    0.500 kWH per day for laptop+satilite modem
    0.500 kWH per day for lighting/radio/small tv
    ================================
    2kW per day...

A nice sized small but life life pretty normally is around a 2-3kWH per day system (remember loads like refrigerators use more power in hot weather/summer than winter).

Using a website like PV Watts. For Las Vegas NV, assume 1kW of solar panels (round number), and 0.52% end to end system derating (solar panels to charge controller to battery bank to AC inverter), fixed array:
    "Station Identification"
    "City:","Las_Vegas"
    "State:","Nevada"
    "Lat (deg N):", 36.08
    "Long (deg W):", 115.17
    "Elev (m): ", 664
    "PV System Specifications"
    "DC Rating:"," 1.0 kW"
    "DC to AC Derate Factor:"," 0.520"
    "AC Rating:"," 0.5 kW"
    "Array Type: Fixed Tilt"
    "Array Tilt:"," 36.1"
    "Array Azimuth:","180.0"

"Energy Specifications"
    "Cost of Electricity:"," 9.7 cents/kWh"

"Results"
    "Month", "Solar Radiation (kWh/m^2/day)", "AC Energy (kWh)", "Energy Value ($)"
    1, 5.19, 79, 7.66
    2, 5.98, 80, 7.76
    3, 6.57, 98, 9.51
    4, 7.32, 103, 9.99
    5, 7.42, 105, 10.18
    6, 7.35, 96, 9.31
    7, 7.37, 98, 9.51
    8, 7.29, 97, 9.41
    9, 7.31, 96, 9.31
    10, 6.56, 94, 9.12
    11, 5.75, 83, 8.05
    12, 5.05, 77, 7.47
    "Year", 6.60, 1106, 107.28

Will produce a minimum "typical/average" of ~79kWH per month in January or:
    • 79 kWH per month / 30 days = 2.63 kWH per day
    So, at a minimum, you would like around:
    • 3 kWH per day / 2.63 kWH per day per 1,000 watts of solar panels = 1,139 Watts of solar panels
    Battery bank wise, assume 2 days of no power (1-3 days is recommendation) and 50% maximum discharge:
    • 3,000 WH per day * 1/0.80 battery eff * 1/24 volt battery bank * 2 days * 1/50% maximum discharge = 625 AH @ 24 volt battery bank
    The "nominal" nice to have recharging current for a battery bank is around 5-13% with 10% being a nice number to hit for a flooded cell battery bank (AGM numbers are slightly different--AGMs are more efficient).
    • 625 AH * 29 volts charging * 1/0.77 solar panel+charger derating * 0.10 nominal charging current = 2,354 Watts of solar panel
    So, for the above "balanced" system design--Having an array of 1,200 to 2,400 watts would be recommended for an average of 3 kWH per day "maximum" load in January (you probably would need to use a genset to keep up if you really used 3kWH per day).

Plan on using about 50% to 75% of your daily predicted solar output to allow for bad weather, increasing loads, etc. ... Don't plan on using 100% of predicted power per day (long term averages can vary by 10-20% or more due to weather variations).

The above is an off grid set of calculations--If you go Hybrid (like a Xantrex XW hybrid inverter system)--you can adjust sizes to supply grid power back into your home and even turn the meter backwards (assuming your utility allows Grid Tied systems).

An off-grid system probably costs around $10 to $20 per watt (yea, big range of guessing) to install (yourself vs turnkey). So you are looking at $10-$20k or so for such a system. And new batteries every 3-15 years (depending on battery price/quality and how well you take care of them).

-Bill
  • ronc89021
    Options

Dang Bill thanks for all that info!!! Your the man!
    Your right about our sun here in So. Nevada...in the summer it's brutal! And we have more sunny days than we have a right to!:D I'm not sure what Nevada's wind support would look like on a map but right were I live, we get regular winds almost every afternoon for several hours during the spring and fall too. (that's why I bought that 400w 12v wind turbine)
    I will try and digest what you've said and get a Kill-a-watt meter and do those calculations. Then I will get back to you all when I have a more defined system in mind...but I like what you've set out here, I think I could swing a system like that if I installed it myself which I'm thinking I can!
    Thanks,
    Ron