I'm building an HHO Converter for my car.

I am building an HHO Converter.. I've read so much about how to do it and some say they work and others say they don't..

Most of the problem seems to be that some converters need more amperage to compensate for the inefficiency of the converter.

In none of the example around the web do I see anybody supplementing the HHO Converters with Solar Panels.

Does anybody have any experience mounting a solar panel to a car?

I have compiled a lot of information and am keeping it on a content management system.. via the web at http://BuildAnHHOConverter.com

My website allows me to keep all of my research in one spot, plus I get to share it with the world.

If you have any information, diagrams, blueprints, links or videos please share them with me.. I will likewise share them with others.

Even good advice helps.. my forums is open for guests to make posts..

Comments

• russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭
    Re: I'm building an HHO Converter for my car.

1) No one that has any idea will say it can not be done.

2) Anyone with an idea of what you are trying to do will tell you it is pure crazy, generally not economic and probably illegal unless you live in the middle of no where with no neighbors to kill.

Very bad idea and a cheap shot to try to get your website in the sight of others by using someone else's blog.

The part about adding the solar panel to a car to add a solar side to the post is kind of cute.

ANYONE TRYING THIS IS CRAZY!

Russ
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Hi Im a newbie here on the solar and windmill part but I am an old retired autoworker from heavy repair. I have seen a battery explode from hydrogen fumes from the battery caused by a spark from a booster cable and lucky I had safety glasses on and baking soda near by and lots of water .Not a pretty picture . The top of the battery was missing after the ordeal and peaces of plastic here and there .
    I wouldn't want to be around if a spark did back fire into the canister or it had a leak on one of the tubes especially if it is made of stainless steel It would be like a Bomb To Dare . If you had a fender bender I wouldn't take a chance .
    Solar panel on the roof of a car Hmmmm maybe the flexible type of solar panels and glue it on the car roof ?
  • Chuck46
    Chuck46 Solar Expert Posts: 95

Hopefully you relize wired as indicated will not work you will never turn it off. Reverse your key and power connection. so it only operates when the key turns on. Also your reinventing the wheel this has been done with mixed results. Be careful.
    Chuck
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Take a high school physics course: this can not work.

1). The amount of energy needed to produce the hydrogen exceeds the amount of energy in the hydrogen.

2). The process is too slow to produce any appreciable amount of hydrogen in real time, thus necessitating the storage of highly inflammable gas.

3). The engine needs to be modified to make use of the hydrogen in order to produce an improvement in efficiency - you can't just throw more fuel down it randomly and expect it to work better.

4). Commercially available "HHO" converters are scams because of these same reasons.

Likewise, the solar panel will produce little in terms of adding to the available power. Convert it all into Joules and see how it compares to the vehicle's consumption.

You're better off just vaporizing water into the intake.

As Oscar Wilde said, I'm not young enough to know everything. So no one has to listen to me or my tales of a lifetime of experience working with electricity and engines and hundreds of other things. Learn the truth the hard way if you must. :roll:
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

Admin note:

Moved thread to Skeptics section.

Though it appears that the original post may be more of an advertisement than real, I am leaving the thread up so people can read the replies.
  • walkerranger
    walkerranger Registered Users Posts: 1
    Take a high school physics course: this can not work.

1). The amount of energy needed to produce the hydrogen exceeds the amount of energy in the hydrogen.

2). The process is too slow to produce any appreciable amount of hydrogen in real time, thus necessitating the storage of highly inflammable gas.

3). The engine needs to be modified to make use of the hydrogen in order to produce an improvement in efficiency - you can't just throw more fuel down it randomly and expect it to work better.

4). Commercially available "HHO" converters are scams because of these same reasons.

Likewise, the solar panel will produce little in terms of adding to the available power. Convert it all into Joules and see how it compares to the vehicle's consumption.

You're better off just vaporizing water into the intake.

As Oscar Wilde said, I'm not young enough to know everything. So no one has to listen to me or my tales of a lifetime of experience working with electricity and engines and hundreds of other things. Learn the truth the hard way if you must. :roll:
    Before i start i would like to apologize for the "Thread Necro" though your thread is a first page on this subject so to clear up some myths. As a physics major ,still in study, i would like to say that the moderators above facts 1 and 3 are correct, though the rest are false. One can produce an abundance of Hydrogen , as done in my class lab, using Electrolysis of water. for every 1.4v your productions a multiple. using this method you turn your "battery" into fuel. you will get less energy than put out by the battery though that means nothing as combustion is releasing less than 25% of the energy from your fuel and yet your car runs by harnessing the energy it does produce IE thermal thru compression. Though the moderator is correct on point number three as you would have to decrease your fuel injector output in ratio with the amount of hydrogen your actually producing.

though what do i know, ive only been studying aeronautical engineering with a minor in thermal physics for 3 1/2 years along with 6 years of practical application....
  • Cariboocoot

Likewise my 50 years of real-world experience means nothing. ;)
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Likewise my 50 years of real-world experience means nothing. ;)

Of course. And while admitting your point number one, that he loses energy for every liter of hydrogen that is produced, he apparently feels that he can make up for it in volume. :-)

Interesting to see this thread resurrected after all this time.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

This can be made to work yes, but there will ALWAYS be a net energy LOSS, thus costing suckers more to operate their vehicle/s.
    What I DO find however, that works VERY well and is far less likely to leave a vehicle looking like it was a car bomb in the Middle East, is the addition of 3 ounces of Snake Oil to each fill-up. But even that has it's problems. Snake oil is getting harder and harder to obtain, and since it was discovered to be so beneficial to the automotive fuel industry (quite unlike the Natural Health Industry), the costs of obtaining it are now through the roof. There is hope however. China is starting to ramp up it's Artificial Snake Oil factories using oil squeezed from the beaks of chickens which they process for food products sold to North America every day. So as this ramp-up continues, Chicken Beak Oil availability will continue to increase, however there have yet to be tests to see if it will work as well as the original Snake Oil. Stay tuned.
    I do however expect that once the Natural Health Industry gets wind of this new Chicken Beak oil, they will find ways to corner the market and promote it as a cure for everything from Cancer to limp male members, all the while, as usual, condemning "Big Pharma" for wanting to make money off the backs of folks with health problems.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

OOOPS, looks like Dihydrogen Monoxide should be declared a dangerous substance... No can make it a fuel now

http://prezi.com/7sxbar50xdg4/dihydrogen-oxide/

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    inetdog wrote: »
    Of course. And while admitting your point number one, that he loses energy for every liter of hydrogen that is produced, he apparently feels that he can make up for it in volume. :-)

Interesting to see this thread resurrected after all this time.

Reminds me of the Saturday night live sketch on the "change bank". "We can take a $20 bill and turn it into two tens, or one ten and two fives, or four fives. We can even come up with combinations you haven't even thought about, like twenty ones. How do we do it? volume!"

Tony
  • SolarPowered
    SolarPowered Solar Expert Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

HHO has been done a plethora of times over and over again.

The problem is in an internal 4 stroke combustion engine the Hydrogen bonds back with oxygen in the compression stroke, so essentially all that is really being done is a raise in compression, while lowering engine temperature from the water that recombines from hydrogen/oxygen.

Its nasty because it rusts out tail pipes, and corrodes aluminum heads and valves.

It also takes alot of amperage to make the amount of Hydrogen gas it takes to feed through the vacuum lines. It would take a 30 amp high current alternator at 2500RPM to make the mass amounts of hydrogen needed, just to make a difference.
  • Cariboocoot

I don't think we need to keep revisiting the impossibility of this.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭

One must be VERY careful with hydrogen. I worked for a company where in another facility they had a gas cylinder fill station with both oxygen and hydrogen live to the manifold. The guy running the station turned the wrong valve one day and all they found of him was fragments of his hard hat.

Also, hydrogen burns in air without a visible flame; you can walk right into a hydrogen fire without knowing it.