Selling RECs

Fatawan
Fatawan Solar Expert Posts: 71 ✭✭✭
In the interest of maximizing my ROI on my solar array, I started looking into selling RECs. In Illinois, there is a small program that is not very well funded that the solar association runs, paying $200/Mw. That would be a nice chunk of change on my 10K array. I started looking further, and prices are even higher elsewhere at times. Does anyone have any experience with this outfit which appears to make the process of selling your RECs almost painless:

http://www.srectrade.com/solar_owners.php

I am not sure how they certify you--I will email them and ask.

Comments

• LucMan
    LucMan Solar Expert Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    Re: Selling RECs

Good Luck.
    I have been trying to sell my SREC's both PV and solar thermal for 3-4 month's now through SREC trade. The SREC's are certified for sale in the DC market. There have been no buyers at this point, but they can be carried over for three years hopefully they will be bought before then. It seems the SREC market is saturated with sellers and insufficient buyers in most states, (except NJ where the going rate is $600).
    I also know of two other people trying to sell their SREC's with no action.

http://www.srectrade.com/blog/srec-markets/solar-capacity-in-the-srec-states-march-2011
  • Fatawan
    LucMan wrote: »
    Good Luck.
    I have been trying to sell my SREC's both PV and solar thermal for 3-4 month's now through SREC trade. The SREC's are certified for sale in the DC market. There have been no buyers at this point, but they can be carried over for three years hopefully they will be bought before then. It seems the SREC market is saturated with sellers and insufficient buyers in most states, (except NJ where the going rate is $600).
    I also know of two other people trying to sell their SREC's with no action.

http://www.srectrade.com/blog/srec-markets/solar-capacity-in-the-srec-states-march-2011

LucMan:

Have you had to register with GATS or M-RETS or any such entity that keeps track of RECs? If so, what did you have to pay for that?

Thanks

EDIT: I see that GATS will register residential producers for free if I am reading their info correctly.
  • SolarLurker
    SolarLurker Solar Expert Posts: 122 ✭✭

Before selling your srecs make sure you really understand your states rps. Here in Pa prices were stong for a few months, and now we have a large oversupply of srecs. Prices have fallen from nearly 350 to about 150 over the last 18 months. Most purchasers really are only looking for big blocks of srecs and guaranteed pricing. Small sellers really have a difficult time on the spot market.

Consider a contract with a broker that understands the market and has the contacts to sell the credits.
  • Peak Solar
    Peak Solar Registered Users Posts: 13

With a 10kW system you are only going to create about 13 REC's per year. As mentioned below, the majority of the purchasers on the spot market are looking for large, aggregated blocks of REC's.

It will probably serve you better to try and get into your local program. Have you checked with the Illinois Solar Energy Association to see how much is already allocated of the 170 mWh limit for the program?
  • LucMan
    LucMan Solar Expert Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    Fatawan wrote: »
    LucMan:

Have you had to register with GATS or M-RETS or any such entity that keeps track of RECs? If so, what did you have to pay for that?

Thanks

EDIT: I see that GATS will register residential producers for free if I am reading their info correctly.

I had to register with GATS, no charge. I then transferred my account over to SREC trade, they will get a small sales commission if and when any REC's are sold.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

I think they have made this very hard to understand. Depends on what state it's produced in and what states can buy what you produce. Some states have different quotas for in/out of state, some require a different meter.

It's hard to do without a broker, they are on a inside track to all the in's and out's. They group all of the REC's together and sell them in bulk. A bird in the hand is much better in waiting for something that is never going to happen. I sold 10 at a discount this year and let them worry about it.
  • Fatawan
    I think they have made this very hard to understand. Depends on what state it's produced in and what states can buy what you produce. Some states have different quotas for in/out of state, some require a different meter.

It's hard to do without a broker, they are on a inside track to all the in's and out's. They group all of the REC's together and sell them in bulk. A bird in the hand is much better in waiting for something that is never going to happen. I sold 10 at a discount this year and let them worry about it.

Can you share how much you got and to who you sold them?
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Fatawan wrote: »
    Can you share how much you got and to who you sold them?
    My installer hooked me up with them. I ended up taking $200 each. I can tell you that things look like they have headed south in the last 2 months on them. Most of these aggregateors are also in the Solar Installation and take care of their customers first.

http://www.solsystemscompany.com/