Boost charging with XWMPPT 60

silvertop
silvertop Solar Expert Posts: 155 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone using the boost charging on the Xwmppt for off grid ? I normally Bulk/Absorb 14.5, and float 13.2 . I see Trogan recommends Bulk 14.8,Float 13.2. I wonder If I use the bulk/boost set at 14.8 for the first hour ,Absorb to 14.5 then float to 13.2. I know that water consumption may be higher than normal, just looking to mix electrolyte better.

Comments

• TheBackRoads
    TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭
    Re: Boost charging with XWMPPT 60

Is this "boost charging" an option in the menu or are you saying just applying more voltage over a period of time?
  • silvertop

Yes It Is an option. The way It works the first hour of the absorption stage has a fixed one hour timer, IF you set the Bulk higher than Absorb It will continue this Bulk for 1 clock hour , then go to Absorb. I just see this as giving you the option to set Bulk/Absorb different.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It can help if you have a need for it. The problem is how do you know you need it?
    It can help if you are deeply cycling near 50%. If as they say " you are in a cottage that sits unoccupied" Boost will net help you. It also is good to keep in mind that the deeper you cycle, the sooner you will be lifting! Good Luck!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    It can help if you have a need for it. The problem is how do you know you need it?

Right ! What batteries in particular specify this algorithm ? It might be good too, I don't know.
    This does sound somewhat familiar though.

boB

PS I like the Deeper cycling the sooner the lifting thing.
  • Dave Angelini
    boB wrote: »
    Right ! What batteries in particular specify this algorithm ? It might be good too, I don't know.
    This does sound somewhat familiar though.

boB

PS I like the Deeper cycling the sooner the lifting thing.

Shallow cycles are the only way to use any battery offgrid in my humble opinion!

Unless you like to pump iron... er lead....

• silvertop

I agree with the shallow cycling, I try to not let the bank go below 80% on my Tri- Metric. The way I understand they are saying that with shallow cycling it would help the batteries, they just don't say how high V or how long. I wonder also about Trogans spec for 14.8 for bulk.
  • Dave Angelini
    silvertop wrote: »
    I agree with the shallow cycling, I try to not let the bank go below 80% on my Tri- Metric. The way I understand they are saying that with shallow cycling it would help the batteries, they just don't say how high V or how long. I wonder also about Trogans spec for 14.8 for bulk.

I think you are misreading... The theory and from "their" testing is that moderate cycling is where "boost" may be of use. If you are only discharging 20% of your capacity ( a very good thing) then this will really only use more water in your case.

As boB said, there really is not any data about this "out there". All manufactures give you a range of voltages for the setpoints. You generally go higher and longer with deeper cycles.

To me, this is another desulphator or make you feel good. The basic maintenance is all that is needed. Someone told me an empty box of ****** near your battery also aides in stratification. Just do not mistake using a full box;)

Viag**

• silvertop

I just got off the phone with a battery manufacture questioning them about this boost function. Thay were familiar with the XW boost, and they said that this is only needed on the taller L-16 type batteries to aid in the mixing of the electrolyte. I can understand, with these batteries you certainly don't want to under charge them or you will be pumping lead......