compatable of solar panels

Options
solarvic
solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
I have out of production solar panels that I would like to add some panels to make a larger string. I have kyocera KC 158 g solar panels I want to add too. I have a couple choices to make. Here is spesifacations. Which is better choice?
Kyocera KC 158g KD185GX-LPU yingli yl175WP mitsubushi Pv-ud175MF5
pmax 158 watts 185 watts 175 watt 175 watt

voc. 28.90 volt 29.5 volt 29.5 volt 30.2 volt
Lsc 7.58 amps 8.58 amp 8.0 amp 7.45
Vmp 23.20 volts 23.6 volt 23.5 volt 23.9 volt
Imp 6.82 amp 7.84 amp 7.5 amp 7.32 amp
Also have Sharp ND-167u3a panels I want to add to.
voc 28.9 volt
Lsc 8.16 amp
IMP 7.32 amp
VMP 22.8 volt. Should I take from the Sharp panels to increase the # of KC 158 g panel strings.and match the other ones listed to to the sharp panels for thier string. Or should I add to sharp panel string from ones listed and add ones to kc panels from my list? The price of both the Yingli panels and the KD 185 panels are similar and I already have the 2 mitsubushi panels I was planning on adding to some Schuco SPU- 4 180 watt panels for an off grid setup I am going to do. :DSolarvic:D

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: compatable of solar panels

The question would be: how do you want to add them?

If you're paralleling panels to the same controller the Vmp is the important number. All of those are close enough in that respect that they would work.

If you're adding one in a string the Imp is the important number. If I'm reading your data right the last panel is the best fit with the first because they have the closest Imp's.

The easiest way is to add a new array with a new charge controller/inverter. This is sometimes necessary if you're maxing out the existing controller/inverter.
  • solarvic
    Options
    The question would be: how do you want to add them?

If you're paralleling panels to the same controller the Vmp is the important number. All of those are close enough in that respect that they would work.

If you're adding one in a string the Imp is the important number. If I'm reading your data right the last panel is the best fit with the first because they have the closest Imp's.

The easiest way is to add a new array with a new charge controller/inverter. This is sometimes necessary if you're maxing out the existing controller/inverter.

I have 2 GTI inverters. One has KC 158 g, other has the sharp 167 watt. I want to increase the number of panels on each one. I researched thier web sites and I can add a couple panels on each inverter. On my 600 volt inverter I have to keep it to one string. On my 500 volt inverter I can probably add 1 or 2 if I keep one string or I could add 6 and have 2 strings. Some of my panels have been on the racks for 4 or 5 years.
    Where I live gets lots of cloudy days. :-)solar:-)
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
    Options

It also depends on price. Often times, the new high power panels over 200watts are so cheap per watt that it is better to add them to your system even though some of their amps/volts will go to waste rather then pay a lot for older smaller modules that are a better match.
  • solarvic
    Options
    solarix wrote: »
    It also depends on price. Often times, the new high power panels over 200watts are so cheap per watt that it is better to add them to your system even though some of their amps/volts will go to waste rather then pay a lot for older smaller modules that are a better match.
    So if I use some higher output panels, will the lower output panels still output thier normal output? :Dsolarvic:D
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

solarvic,
    you may need to be careful here as you don't want to exceed the inverter's max input voltage. remember that those cold temps up there will push the voltage higher. from what i gather here is that you are trying to push the wattage right to the edge. you may be on that edge right now under the reflecting wither sun with cold temps. you aren't using all one pv configuration and i am not sure what pv watts may say.

it might be easier to go with another gt inverter and add another string of pvs, but that may be treading on your main panel's bus ratings.