Slygard?

SUNBURNED
SUNBURNED Registered Users Posts: 7
I did a little research and watched a lot of videos on youtube and such so I started building a solar panel for my cabin. I put them on plywood, siliconed them in got everything good, tested it was getting great volts and almost 8 amps, happy. Then I was thinking of making a aluminum frame and ran across a video that says the cells cant be in contact with oxygen.......:confused: Do we need to use that expensive slygard to seal them or are they ok using something else? Please inform me, if you do what they say you are not saving any money doing it yourself!

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Slygard?

Why we don't encourage homemade panels:
    SUNBURNED wrote: »
    ...I put them on plywood ...

That is a fire hazard.

As for the sealing issue ... that's probably #2 problem with homemade; it's virtually impossible to get a seal that will last out in the weather where solar panels normally live their lives.

Keep in mind a commercial panel is sealed between two pieces of glass. The glass is specifically formulated for the application, the seal is done in conditions that control dirt, temperature, humidity, etc. The cells themselves are not the "2nds" bought of E-bay. The tabs are soldered with controlled temperature and just the right solder (yes, there's different formulas). It's the attention to these details that allow commercial panels to last 20+ years, and the inability to duplicate said conditions that cause homemade panels to fail. When? Tomorrow, or twenty years from now. Do you like gambling?

For experimental and learning purposes making your own panels can be educational, although (as I always say) what you usually learn is it isn't worth it. Commercial panels can be had for quite reasonable prices these days, sometimes as little as $2 per Watt. What is your time, energy, and frustration worth?
  • SUNBURNED

Thanks for the responce. I like fire. JK
    I did enjoy making the panels and did think to myself that it could be a hazard. The panel would not be left out when I am not there. That is why I was looking into making a better panel or panels that I could leave up, but the price is not worth making if you have to do all that crap. :cry:
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

you've just learned the hard way what we've been saying for years.
  • SUNBURNED

No offense, but I don't think I learned anything the hard way. I love doing that type of stuff and think that if you don't try you will never succeed. I have not doubt that making the panels with the tempered glass and the slygard stuff is the way to go and for most of us trying a little project like this that it will work great. Are the store bought panels better? Maybe. Better marketing, better advertisment, better publicity, but whose to say. Not me. All I know is that my 100.00 dollar 120 watt DIY panel with my morningstar 30 charge controller was charging my deep cycle batteries that I use in my 100% self built cabin.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

knock your socks off then. :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll: