PV Module packaging and crating 40" x 77" framed crystalline modules

We install Utility scale PV generating facilities, 10 MW+. Our client is furnishing the PV modules from a new manufacturer in Ontario. The manufacturer states that it is standard industry practice to crate and ship modules in a horizontal orientation supported at the corners with spacers. This is contrary to everything we have experienced. Our 40+ MW experience has had all modules shipped in a vertical orientation. We are responsible for the modules after they leave the factory dock. We are concerned about micro-cracking and shock load damage. Should we be?

Comments

• solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
    Re: PV Module packaging and crating 40" x 77" framed crystalline modules

All the modules I've ever done (except the very first system) were shipped to us palleted horizontally. Did have a pallet of Canadian Solar modules broken one time because they just use a minimal cardboard spacer system on the corners. If it shifts at all - you have all the upper modules now sitting on the lower one's glass. Their pallets are pretty cheap too. Anyway, horizontal packing is most commonly done in our experience. Can't say whether there is any microcracking. Never noticed any is all I can say. Come to think of it - that first pallet of vertical mounted modules was a p.i.t.a. too. Pallet was broken and the modules about ready to fall over.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

I don't think the glass would be subject to "micro-cracking" as tempered glass just fails.

As for the substrate backing and the cells, that might be another subject.

T
  • Northforker
    Northforker Registered Users Posts: 15

Thanks guys for the replies