Options
2»

Comments

• freakin out
    freakin out Registered Users Posts: 14
    Options
    Re: Backyard Theatre setup
    techntrek wrote: »
    Edit: and don't kill your dream. You still have a good reason to not use your extension cord, plus you'll end up with a great overnight power source for a night light and your bedside clock while the neighbors are in the dark.

It's funny, the power was out for a couple hours here this morning, and all I could think about while I was laying in bed was how nice it would be to just wheel my wagon up to the house and plug in the coffee pot. :p

I really would like to be able to ditch the cords for my movie nights, so I may still do this. I deffinetly need to educate myself a little more before i run out and start buying stuff, but I thank you all for the education I've recieved so far.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Well while we're educating ... :p

That coffee pot you wanted to plug in? That's murder compared to the DVD system.
    You're looking at probably 1500 Watts there, so that would be large inverter and serious current draw (up to 150 Amps on a 12 Volt system). How long does it take to boil? Fifteen minutes? (Guess who doesn't use an electric pot.) That's about 32 Amp hours out of the battery just there.

This is why we always say the electric heating things should go as a first measure of conservation.
  • freakin out
    freakin out Registered Users Posts: 14
    Options
    Well while we're educating ... :p

That coffee pot you wanted to plug in? That's murder compared to the DVD system.

I knew that one was coming! I have a truck that i take fishing on the beach and last year I was looking into options for making coffee during my all night trips. Found a bunch of cheap 12v ones that take almost an hour to make a single cup , another 12v one that cost about $150 that needed a specail power strip to accept it's X shaped plug, and a $130 propane fired unit that got so-so reviews. Ended up getting a bigger thermos bottle....
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Options
    It's funny, the power was out for a couple hours here this morning, and all I could think about while I was laying in bed was how nice it would be to just wheel my wagon up to the house and plug in the coffee pot.

Told ya! :D .................................
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I knew that one was coming! I have a truck that i take fishing on the beach and last year I was looking into options for making coffee during my all night trips. Found a bunch of cheap 12v ones that take almost an hour to make a single cup , another 12v one that cost about $150 that needed a specail power strip to accept it's X shaped plug, and a $130 propane fired unit that got so-so reviews. Ended up getting a bigger thermos bottle....
    Heat your coffee pot on the truck's exhaust manifold?

;)
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Some foil wrap and you can cook your catch on the way home too. Real Red Green stuff.

Ralph